Motorola Officially Unveils the Moto X Style Smartphone: Called the Moto X Pure Edition in US

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Moto-X-Style-multi-angles-and-back-covers.jpg

*Update - We missed it this morning, but apparently the Moto X Style will be marketed as the Moto X Pure Edition in the United States. Additionally, the phone's price was detailed as starting at $399.99 off contract, and it will be compatible with all US carriers. Here's a link to its Motorola landing page: Moto X Pure Edition - Motorola

Three new Motorola smartphones were revealed by the Lenovo owned company just this morning. Two of them are new variations of the Moto X device, and the third is the new Moto G. The Moto X Style and the Moto X Play are designed to cover the mid-range device category for Motorola's lineup (although they are actually phablet-sized devices). The Moto G rounds out the entry-level.

The first one we have to announce is the Moto X Style (aka the Moto X Pure Edition). It will be available in September and will cost just $200 to $300 less than other brand flagship devices (off contract). Here are its full specs:
  • 5.7-inch quad-HD display
  • Qualcomm Snapdragon 808 1.8GHz hexa-core processor
  • 3GB of RAM
  • A 21-megapixel rear-facing camera and a 5-megapixel front-facing camera
  • Universal LTE banding
  • 3,000 mAh battery
  • microSD support up to 128GB
  • Android 5.1.1
As usual, the Moto X Style/Pure Edition will be available on the Moto Maker for customizable colors, rear casing materials and engravings. We will give you a heads up as soon as a final official date is revealed.

Stay tuned, we will have the full info on the Moto X Play and the Moto G in just a bit!

Here's our dedicated section for further discussion on the Moto X Pure Edition/Moto X Style: Moto X Pure Edition Android Forum at DroidForums.net

Last edited:

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
According to the liveblog I just skimmed through, this device will be $399 off-contract. (EDIT: $399 may be for the Pure Edition only.)

EDIT: Also, not available through carriers. Amazon, Moto Maker, Best Buy (in-store and online)

Last edited:

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
the disturbing trend toward larger phones continues...Hopefully next year they offer this in 5" (5.2") max.

Otherwise, impressive specs. I won't quibble with 3 gigs instead of 4 gigs ram at that price.

Also wonder if it will have a locked bootloader since it's not sold thru carriers - could be a big winner if not (though that market of users is very small).

Dusty

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3XL
Welp. Looks like I'm back to loving the Moto X! It's been a long year, baby!
I'm going to go sniff the specs closely to make sure nothing is missing. (**Glares at the OnePlus 2**)

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I really wasn't planning on upgrading my Note 4 this year, but I'm liking what I'm hearing about this device so far. We'll see what happens in another few months. I'm excited to see some real-world test on this camera that's alleged to be among the best in class now. I think they claimed top 3 in the press event.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
I like the sounds of the 3000mAH battery, that's the only con that I have about the 2014 Moto X. Personally I am not a fan of the 5.7" screen size, that's a little too big for my liking. Maybe once I see it in person I will like it.

Dusty

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3XL
The Adreinne Hayes, SVP of Marketing, flat out said "...Best in class camera." with total confidence and a touch of gusto.

It has SD card storage, customization, big battery, great software. That's some good stuff right there. I'm in.

Literally the only things I can knock about the X Style are the lack of USB-C, wireless charging, and fingerprint tech. And those things are FAR from being a deal breaker unlike weak carrier availability, no NFC, and no quick charging. (***Glares at OnePlus 2, again***)

My experience with Moto service has been nothing short of stellar. Two day no hassle turnarounds on replacements (even had a 1st gen Moto X replaced in 24-hours) is great.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I like the sounds of the 3000mAH battery, that's the only con that I have about the 2014 Moto X. Personally I am not a fan of the 5.7" screen size, that's a little too big for my liking. Maybe once I see it in person I will like it.
They claim it's a big screen in a small package. 76% screen-to-body ratio. S6 Edge is like 71% and Iphone 6 (plus?) is 68%.

So hopefully it won't feel quite as big as some others with similarly sized screens. I've been toting around this Note 4 and was kinda thinking I'd go for a smaller screen with my next upgrade, but I may stay right where I am in that regard seeing this and knowing (at least one of the) next Nexus(s) will likely be about the same size.

LoneWolfArcher

Silver Member
Reaction score
LOVE IT. I will be buying this since my 2013 X is starting to show it's age.

LoneWolfArcher

Silver Member
Reaction score
They claim it's a big screen in a small package. 76% screen-to-body ratio. S6 Edge is like 71% and Iphone 6 (plus?) is 68%.

So hopefully it won't feel quite as big as some others with similarly sized screens. I've been toting around this Note 4 and was kinda thinking I'd go for a smaller screen with my next upgrade, but I may stay right where I am in that regard seeing this and knowing (at least one of the) next Nexus(s) will likely be about the same size.

THIS. My 2013 X gets called small, but when you compare display size people are pleasantly surprised.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro

So hopefully it won't feel quite as big as some others with similarly sized screens.

That sounds awesome! Looking forward to seeing and handling one in person.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Looks like a smaller nexus 6.

popcenator

Droid X Rescue Squad
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
This is the Motorola device I've been waiting for. I agree PC, looks like a smaller Nexus 6 which I for one am very happy about. The N6 was just a tad too large for me unfortunately. From the event it sounded like they worked a lot on maximizing the screen while making it feel smaller in the hand. So I'm pretty excited to handle this in person.

on the move..

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
5.7" is still a BIG phone even if they reduced the bezels a couple mm. 5.2" is the absolute largest screen I'd want if there were no bezel.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
5.7" is still a BIG phone even if they reduced the bezels a couple mm. 5.2" is the absolute largest screen I'd want if there were no bezel.
But, this might be just right for someone who thought the nexus 6 was just slightly too big.

You must have some tiny hands.