Motorola Droid won't start up. Need help.

AlphaDroid

Reaction score
Motorola Droid won't start up or run/operate. Need help.

I purchased it new, have owned it for approx 6 months, it's factory stock and no problems like this until today. I'm estimating that the micro SDHC is approx 95-99% full with videos and photos.

When I try to start up the Droid, either by battery or plugged into the computer for power or plugged into AC, the white lettering saying "Droid" comes on then it fades to the red oval shaped device, then repeats this process over and over (takes about 10 secs) but will not start up so I can use it. I've pulled the battery out a few times but no luck so far.

Any suggestions on how to fix my Droid? I really need it to use as a phone and web surfer.

My rant: Stupid piece of mass produced, cheaply built, electronic gizmo designed to fail that I'm so attached to.

Last edited:

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
It seems that your SD card may be the issue. Since you are not able to boot it seems the next option is to remove the SD card and connect it to your computer. To do so, however, you will need a micro SD card. VZW sells them for about $15 or you may be able to borrow one. If you are able to connect the card to a computer, make a copy, then remove some files from the card reinsert the card and see if the phone will boot.

Mike

rkeller62

Reaction score
I agree the sd card is the likely culprit. Unix based systems don't like it when their filesystems get completely full and can do some weird stuff.

OP
A

AlphaDroid

Reaction score
Here's the latest. Phone still not working.

I replaced the factory stock SanDisk 16gb SDHC with a new Polaroid 16gb SDHC and tried the start up sequence using all the variations of power sources and it will not start up.

It just keeps cycling with

1. white Droid lettering

2. then the red oval shaped device which pulses once

3. then a 5 second pause to black and repeat. Whole sequence takes 10 secs with 5 in lettering and 5 a black screen.

Another related question. If I removed my almost full factory stock SanDisk SDHC without a method of removal (I thought there was a button on the Droid that you pushed to remove it or some kind of sequence of buttons to push for safe removal), have I lost all the data on it or is there a good chance that I've lost it? I had hundreds of pictures and hours of video that was not backed up. The reason I ask is because I don't own a computer (can use the library or college) and don't have one of those converters so I'm unable to see what is on the removed factory SDHC or if it's been deleted...

rkeller62

Reaction score
Since replacing the sd card made no difference, then I would say or os is corrupted. Since you say it is completely stock I would take it to a local vzw store and they can reflash the phone for you.

As for your sd card, since the battery must be out to pull the card there is a very good chance your files are fine, but I can't stress strongly enough the need to find a way to back up stuff that is really important to you.

OP
A

AlphaDroid

Reaction score
Since replacing the sd card made no difference, then I would say your os is corrupted. Since you say it is completely stock I would take it to a local vzw store and they can reflash the phone for you.

As for your sd card, since the battery must be out to pull the card there is a very good chance your files are fine, but I can't stress strongly enough the need to find a way to back up stuff that is really important to you.

Thanks for the positive comment about the fact that maybe I have not lost the data which was on the SDHC.

Since I don't own a computer, and generally am unable to store data on the college computer, what would be the best way to back up my video and photos? Would it be to purchase a portable external hard drive and store the data there?

If I post the videos on youtube to get them off my SDHC, then somebody comes along and says they would like the best copy available, is the copy on the SDHC always better than the youtube version or are they the same in quality...?

Last edited:
OP
A

AlphaDroid

Reaction score
Latest news.

After 3 days of trying all possible methods of starting and powering the Droid, it finally started/connected with the Hard Start by holding down the start button and the X key at the same time then pushing a few buttons.

Lost all my contacts, (approx 100-200 because I did not have the syn button on) and the applications on my desktop.

The 30 hours of video and hundreds of photos are still on the SDHC device, good sign.

For the last few hours the phone works, internet works, but camera does not work. "Droid shows SDHC card not inserted" or similar, and right now the camera just started working with the new Polaroid 16gb SDHC that I bought to replace the factory SDHC that was nearly full.

And Verizon has just sent a refurbished droid in the mail for replacement.

Should I return my 6 month old potentially failing droid and use the refurbished or should I continue to try to work with it?

Taegost

Reaction score
Latest news.

After 3 days of trying all possible methods of starting and powering the Droid, it finally started/connected with the Hard Start by holding down the start button and the X key at the same time then pushing a few buttons.

Lost all my contacts, (approx 100-200 because I did not have the syn button on) and the applications on my desktop.

The 30 hours of video and hundreds of photos are still on the SDHC device, good sign.

For the last few hours the phone works, internet works, but camera does not work. "Droid shows SDHC card not inserted" or similar, and right now the camera just started working with the new Polaroid 16gb SDHC that I bought to replace the factory SDHC that was nearly full.

And Verizon has just sent a refurbished droid in the mail for replacement.

Should I return my 6 month old potentially failing droid and use the refurbished or should I continue to try to work with it?

Try out the new one and see if you're comfortable with the way it's working... But in your situation, I'd go with the new one unless it happens to be in worse shape then your current one.
It sounds like there may be a hardware failure.