Motorola Droid A855 Help

TechnoGeek2011

Reaction score
i bought a motorola droid A855 from one of my friends cheap. and when i turn it on i get the motorola logo, and it dims out like its going to start up but then i just get a black screen. the backlight on the screen and keys both work but i just have a black screen. do i need to reinstall the android os? or is it a hardware malfunction?

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
i bought a motorola droid A855 from one of my friends cheap. and when i turn it on i get the motorola logo, and it dims out like its going to start up but then i just get a black screen. the backlight on the screen and keys both work but i just have a black screen. do i need to reinstall the android os? or is it a hardware malfunction?

Well not knowing what is causing the problem, this is sort of a shot in the dark. But I would recommend trying a Factory Hard Reset:

With your Motorola Droid still powered "Off," slide open the keyboard.
Press and hold the "X" button on the keyboard while pressing the "Power/Unlock" button, located next to the 3.5mm headphone jack. Continue holding down the buttons until a yellow triangle "Warning Sign" appears on the screen.
Once the yellow warning sign appears, press the physical "Volume UP" and "Camera" buttons simultaneously until a new menu appears. This may take several attempts before success.
From the new menu that appears on-screen, go down to the "wipe data/factory reset" option using the Directional-Pad next to the keyboard, and press the "Center" button on the D-Pad to confirm.
Scroll down to the "Yes -- delete all user data" and press the "Center" button on the D-Pad once more. That's it! When your Motorola Droid is done wiping all saved applications, information, and settings, your device will be back to the factory settings.

Hopefully this will get new life back into your Droid. If this doesn't work, there are other things to do.

Let us know how it goes.

OP
T

TechnoGeek2011

Reaction score
is there another way to get the yellow triangle to come up, i've tried holding "x" and turning it on and i never got the yellow triangle...

OP
T

TechnoGeek2011

Reaction score
i've tried holding x and power, holding camera button and power, and also holding volume down button and power button. i've tried all three ways to get into system recovery mode and all 3 have failed

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Can you get to the bootloader? dpad up+power?

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
is there another way to get the yellow triangle to come up, i've tried holding "x" and turning it on and i never got the yellow triangle...
Does anything happen? or does it go right to the Moto logo again?

OP
T

TechnoGeek2011

Reaction score
i can get to the bootloader by using d-pad up,

when i try to get into system recovery it just freezes at the motorola logo and stays there till i pull the battery

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
i can get to the bootloader by using d-pad up,

when i try to get into system recovery it just freezes at the motorola logo and stays there till i pull the battery

Well, then it looks like it's time for a reflash:

Restoring your phone when all else fails-LAST RESORT AND VERY RARE!!!

More info:

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/chevyno1/162984-your-1-adb-source-7-29-11-a.html

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...-using-rsd-lite-flash-sbf-file-correctly.html

louy99

Reaction score
If you need help, pm me.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

OP
T

TechnoGeek2011

Reaction score
okay just tried restoring it with the software and still no luck. still has a blank screen after the motorola logo goes away and the backlights still work

OP
T

TechnoGeek2011

Reaction score
now when i press one of the four touch buttons on the bottom of the screen i get a slight vibration feedback but no display just the backlight still

OP
T

TechnoGeek2011

Reaction score
ok update. i took the droid apart completely just to see if reseating all the ribbon cables would make the screen come back to life. so now when i turn on the motorola droid, the logo doesnt appear either but the phone still fully powers on and i still get the backlight on the keys.