Motorola Droid won't fully start after System Update

hAHAha_Halo

Reaction score
Ever since the update I installed this morning, it fully installed the update but then it tried to start itself up and now it has been stuck on the Black/White Motorola symbol. It's been like this for about 10 minutes, I don't know what's going on. Any help? I've already tried removing the battery and putting it back in but that didn't do any good.

daxstyles

Reaction score
I am having the same issue. I got the 2.2 update this morning, applied it, and have been stuck at the Motorola "M" screen for about 2 hours. I have tried 2 battery pulls to no avail. Does anyone have a fix?

airgasmmx

Reaction score
Well seems to be a definite issue same thing with mine been on the M screen for about 2 hours so far probably looking at a factory reset i'm thinking but will have to find out what the procedure for that is this really sucks

Painkiller

Reaction score
Just happened to me too. This sucks, tryed everything. Taking it back to verizon only had the phone for two months:angry:.

brando56894

Reaction score
I just posted this in cruzincat's thread in response to daxstyle's question. It should fix all of your issues, no need to bring the phone back to verizon.

do a battery pull and before you power it up hold down the 'x' key on the keyboard and while still holding it press and release the power button. Release the 'x' key once you see a screen with a yellow triangle and an exclamation point in it. Once there hold down the camera button and press the volume up button, this is the stock recovery menu, it may take a few presses to "unlock" it but once it appears you can release the buttons. Now navigate down to "factory reset" using the d-pad and select it using the gold button or the enter key. This will wipe the /data partition so all of your apps will be gone, but this should fix your issue.

DJWPAR3

Reaction score
update sticks at "M"

Thanks for this tip Brando I am having the same issue.
Followed your instructions.....but now still at tne "M" symbol.
I did go back to Verizon and the promised to deliver by mail a new phone in 2 days. It will need to be activated etc and will be 2.1 until update is received.

I would like to try this again before phone arrives though and will report on reults.

Nikkajo

Reaction score
Mine is doing the same thing. I followed the steps to do the factory reboot and when it powered back on it still just stays at the motorola emblem. Anything else we can try?

Painkiller

Reaction score
Just came back from Verizon and they installed the update and the phone works fine!dancedroid I would just bring it to your wireless provider.:rating10:

DJWPAR3

Reaction score
2.2 freeze

It appears this only works IF the reset goes smoothly.
When the Verizon rep tried the reset....no luck......ordered new phone immediately.:motdroidvert:
My spouse's wouldn't boot from factory reset.

MY phone took the update NO problem.....we bought them the same time.......go figure.dancedroid

By the way I received the update 30 hours after she did. I wonder if they have made adjustments.

Last edited:

NofJandN93

Reaction score
IDK, my local Verizon must not have a clue because they told me my phone needed replaced. Finally, I called tech support and the very nice lady helped me through with a factory reset and all went well, then it did the update. Have heard Advanced Task Killer causes issues. Now I just want to know why the person who I called at my local Verizon store didn't try to help or suggest the issue. Very frustrating.