Motorola Droid RAZR Source Code Released

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Moto-DROID_RAZR_VZW-CROPPED-550x553.jpg

Motorola finally released its source code for the Droid RAZR. Now developers can "go to town" creating new stuff for all the happy RAZR owners that want to customize. dancedroid

Source: PhanDroid and SourceForge

lfylove

Reaction score
Like custom kernals and whatnot?

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

jerkwad

Reaction score
Like custom kernals and whatnot?

Probably more like custom ROMS, less likely to see any custom kernels unless they can unlock the bootloader. Kinda like the DroidX/X2,Droid3,Bionic, etc...notice those are ALL motorola phones (because they suck and lock/encrypt the bootloader).

This is still pretty freakin huge. With root already conquered for the Razr that leaves the door open for devs to start building custom ROMS for the rest of us! :)

Cliff Notes:
less kernels
more whatnots

lfylove

Reaction score
Then what was the point of the source code? Did they release source code for other devices? If they unlock bootloader I will definitely get this over gnex

scrub571

Reaction score
Even with a locked boot loader custom rims can do a great deal to improve performance over stock.

Back in the day the cool kids bashed moto for locking the boot loader. New evidence suggests that the boot loader status is in fact determined by the carrier.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

lfylove

Reaction score
Then y is gnex unlocked?

jerkwad

Reaction score
Then what was the point of the source code? Did they release source code for other devices? If they unlock bootloader I will definitely get this over gnex

I'm not going to pretend that I know what Motorola is going to do, but i wouldn't hold my breath on that happening. The source code includes such things as custom configurations and device drivers, to make the phone function properly. It isn't just the kernel and raw google code that makes things work. It's no different than Windows or Linux. The source code to make it work (and each device is different) has to be configured properly and then compiled for that device. It wouldn't make sense for google to release gingerbread souce code AND include the support/drivers/etc for each cell phone out there. SO the manufacturers have to play their part and develop the gingerbread (ics, too) operating system and tailor it to their devices.

As for scurb571's comment...i'm not going to get in an Internet argument about locked bootloaders/encrypted bootloaders etc (there's been enough finger pointing among telcos AND phone manufacturers to make it impossible to know who is lying) BUT regardless of who is locking these bootloaders SOME are locked and some are locked AND encrypted. Which is why i specifically used the words "lock/encrypt" in my previous post. The locked ones can and have been unlocked (HTC, for example) while the locked AND encrypted ones are the ones you need to worry about (Motorola, for example), as there has yet to be ONE motorola phone with a locked AND encrypted bootloader that has been successfully cracked.

Last edited:

lfylove

Reaction score
I'm not going to pretend that I know what Motorola is going to do, but i wouldn't hold my breath on that happening. The source code includes such things as custom configurations and device drivers, to make the phone function properly. It isn't just the kernel and raw google code that makes things work. It's no different than Windows or Linux. The source code to make it work (and each device is different) has to be configured properly and then compiled for that device. It wouldn't make sense for google to release gingerbread souce code AND include the support/drivers/etc for each cell phone out there. SO the manufacturers have to play their part and develop the gingerbread (ics, too) operating system and tailor it to their devices.

As for scurb571's comment...i'm not going to get in an Internet argument about locked bootloaders/encrypted bootloaders etc (there's been enough finger pointing among telcos AND phone manufacturers to make it impossible to know who is lying) BUT regardless of who is locking these bootloaders SOME are locked and some are locked AND encrypted. Which is why i specifically used the words "lock/encrypt" in my previous post. The locked ones can and have been unlocked (HTC, for example) while the locked AND encrypted ones are the ones you need to worry about (Motorola, for example), as there has yet to be ONE motorola phone with a locked AND encrypted bootloader that has been successfully cracked.

Thank you tht cleared things up for me. Guess I'm getting gnex.

jerkwad

Reaction score
Could you site a source saying that the VZW Galaxy phone IS in fact unlocked? I havent seen one yet.

^ the unfortunate reality we are all facing at the moment. That being said, shouldn't there be some reports of the Gnex being unlocked by those that already got the phone (in the UK)? I don't want to derail the topic though...but since you brought it up ;-) lol

scrub571

Reaction score

Right. Internet argument and taking the high road. Get real.. The razr was stated in press releases as locked per carrier. HTC is locked but usually easily broken. How locking is implemented is up to the manufacturer. Just so happens Moto uses military grade encryption. forgot to mention... the Moto atrix was unlocked last year. So AT&T as a carrier allowed the bootloader to be unlocked and Moto provided the keys.

The nexus line is from google as a proof of concept for new software revisions. More like see what our new OS can do... It's in a developers environment meaning the phone is unlocked and the OS source is released to the public for development purposes. That's googles strategy. It will be unlocked on Verizon because google controls that fact. If not then google doesn't release on Verizon and its not truly a nexus experience... Take the xoom, it was a nexus like pure google experience. Moto locked it but gave the keys to unlock it as it was a pure google experience, similar to the nexus.

Last edited: