Motorola Droid RAZR HD Developer Edition Available for $599.99

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
droid-razr-hd-dev-ed.png

For those of us who simply do not want to be bogged down with a cellular carrier contract, or for our many devs in the community who need an unlocked version, Motorola is now offering a Developer Edition of their new flagship Droid RAZR HD. Motorola's own website includes the disclaimer, "Warning: Not for the faint of heart. Warranties will be voided." For those undaunted by such trivial details, here's the link below:

Source: Motorola Droid RAZR HD Developer Edition

jayman350

Reaction score
it is sad that these phone manufacturers have to release different versions of the same device all b/c of a locked bootloader. i wish that VZW would just stop playing games and allow manufacturers to release unlocked (or at least unlockable) phones from the beginning.

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
yeah maybe these manufacturers should just tell verizon where to stick it and see what happens.... I bet you money if they threatened to stop releasing new devices on verizon, big red would cave

macpro88

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
yeah maybe these manufacturers should just tell verizon where to stick it and see what happens.... I bet you money if they threatened to stop releasing new devices on verizon, big red would cave

NO. Other manufactures would step up to the plate and offer their phones instead and bend to VZW's will and VZW will just be like "See ya Moto, it was fun." There are tons of other manufactures out there that would love where Moto is right now with VZW.

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
Not for the faint of heart?! Yea, just look at all the blood in the streets from the unlocked Droid 1. Vzw and Moto can ride together off of a cliff while I laugh! :biggrin:

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
NO. Other manufactures would step up to the plate and offer their phones instead and bend to VZW's will and VZW will just be like "See ya Moto, it was fun." There are tons of other manufactures out there that would love where Moto is right now with VZW.

I'm talking if all manufacturers could say it... if samsung motorola HTC LG were to tell vzw we will have unlocked bootloaders OR we won't sell on your network, vzw would eventually bend. problem is these manufacturers don't see it as that big an issue..

this is why I can't wait for sprint LTE to compare with verizon.

drew96dawg

Reaction score

Oppo is a good example

Sent from my DROID2 using Xparent Blue Tapatalk 2

macpro88

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm talking if all manufacturers could say it... if samsung motorola HTC LG were to tell vzw we will have unlocked bootloaders OR we won't sell on your network, vzw would eventually bend. problem is these manufacturers don't see it as that big an issue..

this is why I can't wait for sprint LTE to compare with verizon.

If this scenario could actually happen, then it might be a different story. But the likeliness of this actually happening...

Carsonhello

Reaction score
well,it looks is an excellent phone..but is the price too high???Honestly,I cannot afford 600bucks for a phone....:biggrin:

skennelly

Reaction score
it is sad that these phone manufacturers have to release different versions of the same device all b/c of a locked bootloader. i wish that VZW would just stop playing games and allow manufacturers to release unlocked (or at least unlockable) phones from the beginning.

Unfortunately, this would most likely only happen if Motorola were selling more of the development editions off contact than Verizon sold locked on contract.

I was at Walmart the other day and noticed that the vzw s3's retail price was $50-$100 more than the retail price of the sprint, at&t, and US Cellular versions. So as long as vzw is making money on locked phones, then they won't change.

Sent from my SCH-I535

drew96dawg

Reaction score
well,it looks is an excellent phone..but is the price too high???Honestly,I cannot afford 600bucks for a phone....:biggrin:

That's pretty good other high end phones are in the 700-800 range

Sent from my DROID2 using Xparent Blue Tapatalk 2

huskur

Reaction score

Moto needs Verizon more than Verizon needs moto. It would never happen. Who is Moto going to sell phones to on the other networks? ATT? T-mobile?

If Moto told VZW to "stick it" stock prices for moto would be like that of Google yesterday (just not in same $$ amounts)

geoff5093

Reaction score
So there is no warranty at all, correct? I can understand if it was a software issue, but many phones have hardware issues unrelated to rooting or unlocking. I don't think I could ever buy a $600 phone without having at least some sort of warranty.

skennelly

Reaction score
So there is no warranty at all, correct? I can understand if it was a software issue, but many phones have hardware issues unrelated to rooting or unlocking. I don't think I could ever buy a $600 phone without having at least some sort of warranty.

You have to register your phone to receive the unlock code and that's when you lose your warranty.

Sent from my SCH-I535

macpro88

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Certain parts of the warranty are voided if they are similar to HTC which I think they might be. If its hardware related that a manufacturing defect, they should cover it. If its something that happened because of the unlock and you screwing around, which they can always tell, they won't cover it.

You would have to read through all the T&Cs of the warranty.