Motorola Droid Folders

YOBZack

Reaction score
When I have my Droid mounted & I have a bunch of folders I assume these are for the various APPS I have downloaded. Is there a specific place to have a Ringtones folder created that I can dup mp3's in & get a ring tone or do these need to be special file & a certain structure. Anyone know the easiest way to find out the associated folders that I can clean these up in any way? I seem to have 3 called ringtones at various levels for example.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
When I have my Droid mounted & I have a bunch of folders I assume these are for the various APPS I have downloaded. Is there a specific place to have a Ringtones folder created that I can dup mp3's in & get a ring tone or do these need to be special file & a certain structure. Anyone know the easiest way to find out the associated folders that I can clean these up in any way? I seem to have 3 called ringtones at various levels for example.

Get Rindgroid from the Market. It's a free app that will allow you take your mp3 files and make ringtones out of them. Very easy to use, you'll like it.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
Doesn't really matter where the ringtones folder is located.

\Media\Ringtones or \Media\Audio\Ringtones seems to be commonly used.

TwerpPoet

Reaction score
Doesn't really matter where the ringtones folder is located.

\Media\Ringtones or \Media\Audio\Ringtones seems to be commonly used.

Will capitalization make a difference? Only asking because nix flavors usually care and these folders are not capitalized on my phone.

TwerpPoet

Reaction score
WHY WOULD CAPITALIZATION MATTER??? lol

On the off chance that you aren't joking (I think you are, seriously).

The last time I played with a Unix/Linux computer a folder named 'Ringtones' would be a unique and different folder than 'ringtones', even if it was in the same directory.

From what's been said it sounds like the Android system looks through it's directories for a folder named 'ringtones' and adds the contents to the list of available ring tones. It is possible that it is not smart enough to look for alternate spellings or capitalization. That would mean that while where you put the folder isn't all that important how you name it would be very important.

After all, the ringtones are just mp3 files. As far as I know there isn't any way for the OS to look for ringtone files by file type.

OP
Y

YOBZack

Reaction score
Thanks

Thanks for the feed back I will experiment & see what I can come up with. Just afraid of loosingthe tones all together. This is why I asked.

Thanks everyone