Folders, SD cards and such...

cboshdave

Reaction score
I am a new owner of a Droid Charge. Pretty excited! I am having some troubles negotiating the folder scene though. I have connected my device and I can see the drive. I have a current .mp3 that I use for a ringtone and I would like to put it somewhere so I can pick it up and use it with the device. When I go into my ringtones though, I cannot see an option for "Search", nor can I seem to find where to place the file so it just appears in my list of ringtones.

I read in one post that I just need to create a folder called ringtones\ and it would work... Not so much.

Also, a couple of apps say I need an sd card to use them. I have an sd card in there, but it does not seem to be recognized? Do i need to activate it?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

solar

Reaction score
Creating a Ringtones folder in the root of either your SD card or your on-board memory will indeed allow you to search for it automatically when setting ringtones. I create one called Ringtones and one call Notifications and put the files I want in each. If you are plugged into you computer when trying to set your ringtone, you'll need to unplug your phone from the PC or make sure you choose "Charge only" or something similar in the notifications bar. Your SD card is dismounted and inacessable on your phone when it is mounted to the computer as a USB Drive. You can use a program like Astro file explorer or FX explorer to take care of moving things around on your phone without having to plug into your PC. Most phones come with a file browser built in, but the usually aren't as functional.

tomdroider

Reaction score
There is a free Android app called AirDroid that makes setting mp3 as ringtone extremely easy. You can watch the video demonstration here:goo.gl/jBpfr. Detailed steps:

1. Download and install AirDroid from Android Market: goo.gl/GM0i9;
2. Make sure the Android device and computer are connected to the same wifi network.
3. Open AirDroid and press Start, a web address and a 4-digit Dynamic Password will be generated.
4. Open the full web address with your favorite web browser on your computer and input the Dynamic Password to login to the AirDroid Web Desktop.
5. Find the Music icon and click it to open. You can see all the music in your Android device’s music library there.
6. To set music as ringtone, move your mouse over a song and click on the drop-down icon next to it on the right, and choose to set the music as ringtone for phone call, notification or alarm.

You can view it's detailed help here Airdroid

ilikemoneygreen

Silver Member
Reaction score
There is a free Android app called AirDroid that makes setting mp3 as ringtone extremely easy. You can watch the video demonstration here:goo.gl/jBpfr. Detailed steps:

1. Download and install AirDroid from Android Market: goo.gl/GM0i9;
2. Make sure the Android device and computer are connected to the same wifi network.
3. Open AirDroid and press Start, a web address and a 4-digit Dynamic Password will be generated.
4. Open the full web address with your favorite web browser on your computer and input the Dynamic Password to login to the AirDroid Web Desktop.
5. Find the Music icon and click it to open. You can see all the music in your Android device’s music library there.
6. To set music as ringtone, move your mouse over a song and click on the drop-down icon next to it on the right, and choose to set the music as ringtone for phone call, notification or alarm.

You can view it's detailed help here Airdroid
I also suggest using a seperate app to select ringtones but you can also do it through astro.