Definitive list of folders the Droid recoginzes on the microSC card

Reaction score
Definitive list of folders the Droid recognizes on the microSD card

I've looked for about an hour now (probably not enough:)), and I still haven't seen a complete list of all of the folder names the Droid recognizes on the microSD card, such as "Notifications", "Ringtones", etc. Also, I am assuming that the folders created are simply added to the root directory.

1) Am I correct in assuming that the folders are to be created simply off of the root directory of the microSD card? Or do you have to create other subdirectories from the root? I ask because I did see a forum that said you had to create something like "media\audio\notifications", but when I copied my own ringtone to the phone, I simply created a "Ringtones" folder on the root directory, and my ringtone works fine.

2) What other folder categories are there besides "Ringtones", "Notifications", etc.? Are there ones like "Videos", "Music", etc.?

I really appreciate the help in advance!

mightybrick

Reaction score
1) They can be contained in the root folder, or a /media folder. Either works. I think keeping Notifications, Alarms, and Ringtones inside a Media folder keeps things a little cleaner and less cluttered.

2) There are Video, Music, Pictures, Ringtones, Alarms, and Notification folders. I'm not aware of any others.

R

racklefratz

1) They can be contained in the root folder, or a /media folder. Either works. I think keeping Notifications, Alarms, and Ringtones inside a Media folder keeps things a little cleaner and less cluttered.

2) There are Video, Music, Pictures, Ringtones, Alarms, and Notification folders. I'm not aware of any others.

I think folders on the SD card are transparent to the Droid, meaning, it sees files wherever they are on the card, and it doesn't care what the folder is.

I made a folder for some Outlook notes I made into Windows notepad .txt files and put them into some folder I named something, can't remember. But it wasn't any of the above. I opened NotesEverything on the Droid and "imported" those files as notes and the Droid had no trouble seeing them.

mightybrick

Reaction score
Yes, it will see things in other folders. BUT, we are talking about audio files to be accessible as alarms and notifications, etc. If the files are not in the proper folder, the system will not display the files as an options in the corresponding menu, such as alarms, notifications, etc.

R

racklefratz

Yes, it will see things in other folders. BUT, we are talking about audio files to be accessible as alarms and notifications, etc. If the files are not in the proper folder, the system will not display the files as an options in the corresponding menu, such as alarms, notifications, etc.

You might have read the OP's question that way, but that's not the way it was asked. He simply asked what folders the Droid "recognizes", not "what folders the Droid recognizes as audio files "to be accessible as alarms and notifications, etc." Re-read the question.

Jeez. Why bother.

ATLbellygirl

Reaction score
Hi MB - I liked your recommendation to have a media folder and then stick alarms, notifications, ringtones, etc. in there. Is there a way to create subfolders? So under media folder, then have sub folders for alarms, etc? I tried pressing menu once I'd created folder, but I couldn't find an option to create a folder under that original folder.

Thanks!

mightybrick

Reaction score
Hi MB - I liked your recommendation to have a media folder and then stick alarms, notifications, ringtones, etc. in there. Is there a way to create subfolders? So under media folder, then have sub folders for alarms, etc? I tried pressing menu once I'd created folder, but I couldn't find an option to create a folder under that original folder.

Thanks!
No problem.Yes, you can create subfolders within the Media folder. Once inside the media folder, you should be able to tap and hold in a blank area to make a context menu appear which should give you the option to create a new folder. What program did you use to create the Media folder?

JoeeDB

Reaction score

You might have read the OP's question that way, but that's not the way it was asked. He simply asked what folders the Droid "recognizes", not "what folders the Droid recognizes as audio files "to be accessible as alarms and notifications, etc." Re-read the question.

Jeez. Why bother.
Your attempt at being a [Edited by FoxKat for content] totally failed [Edited by FoxKat for content]. If he asked which FOLDERS it will recognize, doesn't that basically mean the FILES inside of said FOLDER? Why would he care if it recognized a folder called NOTIFICATIONS if he wasn't going to put NOTIFICATION SPECIFIC sounds in it. God some people are so [Edited by FoxKat for content].

Last edited by a moderator:

ATLbellygirl

Reaction score
Ohh. Um, no app. I saw another post in the forum on how to create folders, so I went to my right-hand screen, pressed menu>add>folder>new folder, and it appeared on the screen (then I pressed the title bar once in the folder to change the name to "media"). So I've got 3 folders now on that screen (alarms, RTs, and notif.s) but would like to lump them under one main "media" folder. I went into the blank area of one of my newly created folders and pressed there to create a sub folder, but nothing popped up : / From what you're saying, it sounds like I might have needed to create the original media folder from an app and not via Droid's menu option ? If so, which app would you recommend for this?

mightybrick

Reaction score
Ohh. Um, no app. I saw another post in the forum on how to create folders, so I went to my right-hand screen, pressed menu>add>folder>new folder, and it appeared on the screen (then I pressed the title bar once in the folder to change the name to "media"). So I've got 3 folders now on that screen (alarms, RTs, and notif.s) but would like to lump them under one main "media" folder. I went into the blank area of one of my newly created folders and pressed there to create a sub folder, but nothing popped up : / From what you're saying, it sounds like I might have needed to create the original media folder from an app and not via Droid's menu option ? If so, which app would you recommend for this?
Oh, I see. You created the folder on your home screen. The Media folder needs to be created on your SD card. You can do this with a file manager you can download from the android market, or you can do it on your computer with your droid connected with the usb cable. If you need more help, PM me your gmail address and I can help you via GTalk.

cuskit

Reaction score
That's what I was just typing in reply. Once I'm mounted on my computer, I simply created the folders there, no problem with the droid recognizing them.

I do have a related question. If I purchase another card and use the Droid to format it, will it automatically create the original folders and install the files that were already on my card?

mike

mightybrick

Reaction score
That's what I was just typing in reply. Once I'm mounted on my computer, I simply created the folders there, no problem with the droid recognizing them.

I do have a related question. If I purchase another card and use the Droid to format it, will it automatically create the original folders and install the files that were already on my card?

mike
I haven't tried that yet, but I believe it would recreate the original folders and android-related files.

ATLbellygirl

Reaction score
Hmmm - I'd synched up to my laptop earlier to try creating folders via a USB cable but then got a little sidetracked when I somehow ended up transferring Droid pix over. I'll try hooking up again and try to create them that way but might come back and bug you via PM if I'm still having issues. Thanks again!