motorola droid battery issue

cruisertrek

Reaction score
I need to know if anyone else has had problems with their droid battery not charging correctly. When I plug in the car charger, and leave it for even an hour, the phone heats up and the battery doesn't charge. Last night the battery was full when I went to bed so I didn't plug it in; 5 hours later, the battery was completely drained.

Will verizon cover the battery under the 12 months warrenty?

Speedy3

Reaction score
I have experienced that problem in the past two weeks as well. I mentioned it to the tech at Verizon when I went in to play with the Droid2. They were too bust for me to sign in and wait for them to test it. I may go this morning right when they open so I won't have to wait.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
:welcome: to the forum cruisertrek. You've probably got something that is running and using your battery. You should be able to see what this is if you go to your settings/about phone/battery use.

Task Killers and specially antivirus can cause this. If you have them installed, remove them.

husker_fan

Reaction score
I have Lookout and Antivirus on my phone, and my battery life seems to not be good.

Should I uninstall them? I guess I was under the impression I needed them.

I was also under the impression I needed a task-killer and I uninstalled that and get by fine.

OP
C

cruisertrek

Reaction score
thanks for the info. But what causes the phone to get so hot, it almost burns? That isn't normal, nor does it seem that any software would cause that.....

mfratto

Reaction score
I have Lookout and Antivirus on my phone, and my battery life seems to not be good.

Should I uninstall them? I guess I was under the impression I needed them.

I was also under the impression I needed a task-killer and I uninstalled that and get by fine.

You probably don't need them. Anti-virus programs simply gobble up CPU. Remove them. If you never needed a task killer, then you probably don't need it.

Frankly, if you have an app killer that is auto killing services and apps, then you probably be better off without those apps.

Here's why. Android has apps and services. The android OS is built so that only the top most applicaiton (activity, actually) is active and therefore using comsuming CPU. If a window is covered, it goes to sleep.

Android services, on the other hand, continue to run and that can be the source of a power drain. As can OTA updates and what not.

There is no magic to conserving battery life. Disable or uninstall applications that have services that you don't use often (Settings->Manage Applicaitons->Running Service) and that will help. Or if the apps has a setting to disable services or a time period, set the time period long.

madooch

Reaction score
since update my battery is not even lasting me 6 hours without needing a charge I called verizon they are sending me a new battery said if that doesnt work something wrong with the phone they will have to replace nothing wrong with phone or battery something wrong with the update froyo is killing my battery!

FootballRef

Reaction score
I had a similar problem. Called support and then took it to the store. They determined is was my charging port on the phone.

The guy at the store gave me a battery to use, just in case it was the battery and they also sent me another phone.

It was the charging port and now I have 2 batteries.

husker_fan

Reaction score
Thanks for the response, virus programs are gone, I hope the battery gets better. It would be nice if there was a way to test the battery to know if its good or not

mfratto

Reaction score
good luck

I rarely get more than 8 hours on a charge. I get better if I don't use the phone. Ever.

JerryZion

Reaction score
Everything with my Droid Pro has been great until now.
I just returned from a 2 week trip to China during which my phone worked just fine--recharged every night, worked great all day.
However, upon returning home, I left the phone on and the battery depleted and the phone turned off. Okay, so I plugged in the charger overnight, but the phone did not re-charge (same charger as I had been using all along).
Next step: I removed the battery and then after about 1 minute re-inserted it and again connected it for charging, this time via my computer USB port. After a while the phone initiated a power-up sequence and then began a loop with the following behaviour:
May or may not get completely through power-up sequence before shutting down
If get through power-up sequence, shows the "connect your charger" message (never mind that the charger is connected already), then powers down before the settings can be checked for what's keeping it from charging (even while still connected to external power via power adapter or USB cable to computer.

So what's up? What's the next logical step?:blink::mad::icon_ devil::angry:
Thanks,

Jerry Zion
Fluke Biomedical Training Manager

tennvol

Reaction score
Wipe cache and try a different battery and charger. Maybe you messed up your charger in China. The same thing happened to me when I returned from the UK with my Pro