Major Battery Drain issue today (1/7/11)

nateccnn

Reaction score
I had about ten apps showing as needing updates this morning so I hit "Update All". Put the phone on the charger and took a shower. When I left for work I grabbed the phone off the charger. Got to work, worked on some plumbing for about an hour then got a call so I answered it and noticed I had a warning that my battery was almost dead (15%). After the call I plugged into the USB and let it charge for an hour but only got to 20%. It drained real fast and I was at 5% within minutes. Turned the phone off, plugged into USB and went into a 2 hour meeting. After the meeting I turned the phone on and it was at 20%. Went to lunch and plugged into ciggerette lighter (5amps so it should do a fast charge...and always has). An hour later it is at 20%.

I deleted the batterystats.bin, rebooted, still same problem.

I'm thinking one of the apps I updated today is draining my battery. Could it be pulling on the GPS? Updating ads? Wifi? I don't know. Is there a way to see which app is consuming the battery the most? I will reboot the phone once it gets a charge...since the batterystats.bin has been deleted I should be able to see what service is consuming it, but if it is Applications then I need to narrow it down to which app. How?

Nate

OP
N

nateccnn

Reaction score
OK...phone is completely turned off and plugged into wall charger...still won't go over 20%. I'm thinking bad battery. I have a brand new one at home. Will try replacing it tonight. What else can it be, right? If the phone is not on, an app can't be draining the battery, right?

Nate

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Normally i'd say try a factory reset but i don't think you even have enough battery life. Leave it plugged into the wall for well over an hour and see if it moves.

Apps drain batteries along with display and all that other good stuff. Do you have a task killer? If you do i suggest you get rid of it

OP
N

nateccnn

Reaction score
Yes I have a task killer but I know how to use it. I don't arbitrarily kill apps for no reason. I selectively kill apps when I need to. And it is rare that I do it.

The new battery took a charge it seems to be working fine. Issue resolved. Glad I had a new one handy. I bought it months ago when I thought I was going to get a spare charger but never did.

Nate