"False" dead battery issue?

Ghostwheel

Reaction score
I've had my Droid for two weeks tomorrow, and today was the first time I've seen this odd behavior.

With the phone on standby, and over 90% charge (I have the battery widget), I came back to it about five hours later to find it claiming it was at less than 5% power and I should plug it in immediately!

I didn't have my charger with me at work, so I turned it off to save that remaining 5%. Plugged it in as soon as I got home, and after it booted, it said it was at full charge. Huh?

Anyone seen this one before?

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
yes I think most of us have : )

Happened to me once as well.

Couple threads have popped up here mentioning the same thing. As I said in those threads it's not a big deal, it happens.

You probably won't see it again.

OP
Ghostwheel

Ghostwheel

Reaction score
yes I think most of us have : )

Happened to me once as well.

Couple threads have popped up here mentioning the same thing. As I said in those threads it's not a big deal, it happens.

You probably won't see it again.

Hmm. Sorry for the repost. I searched the forums for what I thought some likely keywords might be, but I didn't spot anything similar-sounding. Good to hear it's nothing serious, though. Thanks.

Lafond

Reaction score
I've had it twice since I bought it (Nov. 6). I usually know about where the battery should be at any point in the day, so both times I just figured it was an error. A restart brought up the battery level back to full.

OP
Ghostwheel

Ghostwheel

Reaction score
I've had it twice since I bought it (Nov. 6). I usually know about where the battery should be at any point in the day, so both times I just figured it was an error. A restart brought up the battery level back to full.

My first thought was that I'd left a power-intensive app running (WiFi or GPS) that had drained it. I was almost set to go buy a car charger in case the battery ever ran down that quick again. Heh.

KevinJ

Reaction score
I had something like that today. Last night when I went to bed I was at 40%, and when I went to use it this morning it was deader than dead. I had to plug it in to charge.

Now, a remember hearing from a Verizon person last year that when they do testing and/or upgrading to the system, the amount of power they are putting in the towers saps the batteries. I remember a few times when they did it, my Razr needed to be charged twice a day.

Just my 0.02.

soops

Reaction score
ghostwheel,

My own battery issue sounds exactly like yours. I posted my experience on this thread
I'm now on day 4 (over 3 days with this red led flashes). I've decided not to run out the battery. I will try to alternately do wall charge/usb charge every so often. It is just good to know that if when I do run into red led flashes not long after full charged I can still count on using the droid until when I come home.

pockets

Reaction score
Mine does this often and its getting worse, I used to just turn off/on, now I do have to plug it in

NickWgnr

Reaction score
I've never had this happen (knock on wood) but I have heard of it happening to people. It doesn't seem to happen more than 2 or 3 times to people though.

Pockets, take the phone in and get a new one. It should be covered under manufacturer.

Wagner :motdroidvert:

Reaction score
I have a question for everyone in this thread who has had this issue.

At the time you noticed the false battery, did you have swype installed?

Both times I've noticed this issue of being caught offguard with a low battery, even though it was just 100%, it was after having swype installed. I took it off (can't say I cared for it much opposed to the hard keyboard) and I haven't noticed it since.

billyk

Reaction score

Both times I've noticed this issue of being caught offguard with a low battery, even though it was just 100%, it was after having swype installed. I took it off (can't say I cared for it much opposed to the hard keyboard) and I haven't noticed it since.

I'd hesitate to make a causal correlation until more is done to test this, but I am a Swype user (100% of the time!) and I just had this battery issue occur the other day. Let's see if a pattern surfaces across users on this forum.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score

I'd hesitate to make a causal correlation until more is done to test this, but I am a Swype user (100% of the time!) and I just had this battery issue occur the other day. Let's see if a pattern surfaces across users on this forum.

When it happened to me I definitely did not have Swype installed.

OP
Ghostwheel

Ghostwheel

Reaction score

Nope, I've never had Swype installed. I was trying to think if I'd installed anything new right before it happened - I think just updates for Astro and Mystique. And no WiFi or GPS stuff was running, either.

My other thought was that my work building had something to do with it - I work in a large steel-framed factory type building, and sometimes it interferes with the 3G signal. It used to drain my RAZR occasionally, too. It had to work harder searching for a signal all day.

soops

Reaction score
no swype installed. I only have a handful of 3rd party apps installed, none of them active and neither was the wi-fi. I recharged using wall adapter (vs. my usual USB charging) and so far it's back to normal self as far as battery usage.