Motorola Droid 2.1

Status
Not open for further replies.

masters

Reaction score
I think the eta was first quarter of 2010. Most here would like date and time down to the second if possible. d=-)

newmonium

Reaction score
vzw reps arent who to speak to

spoke to 4 different stores today, all within ten miles of each other. One said absolutely the updates would begin today and everyone would have them within a week however it wasnt clear if that was the 2.1 update. All three other stores told me that there is no scheduled update as of yet and all gave me the blanket statement of checking for system updates within about phone. This just goes to show that most reps aren't phone stalkers like people on here. they read an email or lack thereof and forward their info, or lack thereof to people like us. As per motomobile via twitter, "For DROID users asking about an OTA update, we have not released a new one since Dec. update. Pls visit our support forums if having issues!" No stories are in line.

mapexvenus

Reaction score
spoke to 4 different stores today, all within ten miles of each other. One said absolutely the updates would begin today and everyone would have them within a week however it wasnt clear if that was the 2.1 update. All three other stores told me that there is no scheduled update as of yet and all gave me the blanket statement of checking for system updates within about phone. This just goes to show that most reps aren't phone stalkers like people on here. they read an email or lack thereof and forward their info, or lack thereof to people like us. As per motomobile via twitter, "For DROID users asking about an OTA update, we have not released a new one since Dec. update. Pls visit our support forums if having issues!" No stories are in line.

Everybody take a deep breath and stop the mental masturbation. If you really want 2.1 that bad then use the hacks and use the instructions in this forum to get yourself an unofficial copy and use it until the official update is released. There was never an official date for 2.1, how hard is it to understand that?

devinhfox

Reaction score
Mark me up for one of those that would simply like to see the bugs fixed.
For instance, I still have problems with the screen not turning back on when I complete a call. This happens about once a week, and forces me to take the case off the phone and take the battery out. Annoying! The music player still skips once in a while (no it's not a bad mp3, as my old LG voyager played the mp3s fine). Once awhile in a call, the screen will flash on for a split second when I take it away from my ear to pull the dialpad, then it dissapears too quickly for me to press anything. Little things like this which I have come to take for granted in my old phones seem to get the back burner.
Perhaps 2.1 fixes all this stuff, but I doubt it.
As is the norm in consumer electronics, there is a constant push forward to keep up with the market, but if you look at the past Operating Systems, people generally enjoy stable platforms more than new cutting edge features (Windows XP vs. Vista anyone?).

newmonium

Reaction score
yes, i understand this, i was just showing your statement "There was never an official date for 2.1, how hard is it to understand that?" with proof. My point was that no one knows. i was trying to show the people who arent familiar with these forums that not all information from ANY source is gospel.

mapexvenus

Reaction score
For instance, I still have problems with the screen not turning back on when I complete a call. This happens about once a week, and forces me to take the case off the phone and take the battery out. Annoying! The music player still skips once in a while (no it's not a bad mp3, as my old LG voyager played the mp3s fine). Once awhile in a call, the screen will flash on for a split second when I take it away from my ear to pull the dialpad, then it dissapears too quickly for me to press anything. Little things like this which I have come to take for granted in my old phones seem to get the back burner.
As is the norm in consumer electronics, there is a constant push forward to keep up with the market, but if you look at the past Operating Systems, people generally enjoy stable platforms more than new cutting edge features (Windows XP vs. Vista anyone?).

Completely agree! I installed the unofficial 2.1 and while the improvements are visible I don't know what the update did to the bugs that several users are facing. Maybe Motorola and Verizon are working on the 2.1 that was released by Google and making whatever changes are needed to fix bugs. Releasing something too soon will only result in frustration if the release is defective. Those that are clamoring for 2.1 need to relax. It will happen when VZW and MOTO think it is ready.

joef78

Reaction score
For instance, I still have problems with the screen not turning back on when I complete a call. This happens about once a week, and forces me to take the case off the phone and take the battery out. Annoying!

Instead of taking the battery out, have you tried opening the physical keyboard and pressing the Shift Key (up arrow with a line over it), Alt Key and Delete Key simultaniously?

Dark-V

Reaction score

Where's our windows 7 of the Droid!?

Reaction score

I believe I stumbled across a web page talking about DROIDs receiving a OTA maintenance update increasing stability.

devinhfox

Reaction score
I never made that statement that you mention. Perhaps you have me confused with somebody else?
Anyway, my post is independent of any posts made so far and I was not responding to any particular post, just trying to bring some different perspective.

lordegregious

Reaction score
The bad news. Moto made official that there is no OTA coming out right now, but the confusing part is that they are also saying that this mystery update that some have stated that they have didn't happen either? They are saying nothing has come out since the Dec update??

Motorola says no OTA update being pushed to the Droid | Android Central

Wow, that is scary. I never got the update but if I did I'd be throwing mine against a wall just incase it was the aliens are listening in on me.

chassum

Reaction score
Well I just contacted Motorola Customer support and to much ado I got to a level two agent due to my question, anyway I brought to light the fact that the Android Developers are claiming it is ready to be deployed to mobile devices but I couldn't get a straightforward answer in regards to whether or not 2.1 was even in development for the DROID although she did keep hinting to me to call back next week if I was looking for an answer because they will have more information regarding the situation. I did however get confirmation that Flash for the DROID is on it's way to completion so let's hope for both android 2.1 and flash to come out very soon.

I said it before, but it bares repeating. Verizon/Google/Motorola will not likely announce the new version until it is being pushed to users (2.0.1 was not announced prior to its release). This eliminates calls from people asking for it early or hammering the network to get the update. It also allows them to save face if the update is a day or two late.

IIRC, this is the same approach the Ruskies used during the space race of the '60s. Don't announce anything until it's all over.

52brandon

Reaction score

I love vista. Its a much better os than xp. Developers didn't give it decent drivers at the beginning so it had a bad rap from the start

Status
Not open for further replies.