Motorola Droid 1 - Screen Broke

Cranvis

Reaction score
So I have a client (I give advice/fix phones for my friends/family...) that has broken his screen of his Motorola Droid 1. I have not gotten a hold of the phone, but I am betting that he never rooted the phone let alone did much Syncing to Google so I will need to back up his SMS's, MMS's, Contacts, and what ever else he wants to the SD Card or computer without any screen touching (or the ability to be able to see the screen on the computer without the requirement of rooting). Heck I am not even sure if the screen's lcd is out and the touch still works (if that is the case, I should be able to get intto Debugging mode...)

But on the chance it isn't, I am wondering if:
  1. there is a way to ADB Push (or something) the phone into Debugging Mode
  2. there is a way to make the phone dump/copy the memory tot he computer/sd card
  3. there is a way to push and install an application that will allow the phone to just run the app and be fit and ready to go? (but this brings back hwo to get debugging mode on the phone without touching the screen...)
  4. I would be able to push z4root to the phone, run it, push Android VNC Server tot he phone and then run a VNC Client on the computer to do commands (but then again, there is no debugging mode to connect the phone to the computer...)

I Have used z4root before on the Droid 2...

I know I am asking a lot of information for not even having the phone on hand, but I was willing to test any way possible on my MotoDroid 2, Eris, or Ally and see if I can't get something to work to be able to help him out.

Thank You Very Much For Taking The Time To Read This Post,
Cranvis.

(Also, I hope I post this in the right section.... :-s )

Last edited:

dark juggalo

Reaction score
I too have broken droid and heres what I've learned so far...
z4 does not work on og droids
I was trying to unroot mine wich I did manage but without the screen you cant set it up so even if you manage to root it,you cant set it up so that google will restore the contacts or even use it.
SMS,MMS and contacts are not stored on the SD card but you can save the pictures, they are.
as far as I know the only way to access it at this point is to use RSD lite to root and unroot.

OP
C

Cranvis

Reaction score
I too have broken droid and heres what I've learned so far...
z4 does not work on og droids
I was trying to unroot mine wich I did manage but without the screen you cant set it up so even if you manage to root it,you cant set it up so that google will restore the contacts or even use it.
SMS,MMS and contacts are not stored on the SD card but you can save the pictures, they are.
as far as I know the only way to access it at this point is to use RSD lite to root and unroot.

dark juggalo -

Thank you for the speedy reply. I have not worked with the Droid 1 so I was not sure (first android was my Droid 2). I was hoping there was a way to atleast force debugging onto the phone so then I would be able to use DDM and screenshot my way through each menu but it seems to be that there is no was to force the phone into Debugging mode... was just hopeful heh :)

Come to think of it, Has anyone used BitPim to back up there droid 1/2? I will do more research into this and I cannot believe I forgot about this program haha. I will post more if this actually works on the Droid 2... and if it does, it should work on the Droid 1 correct? o_O.