Motorola Confirms Via Twitter that Droid RAZR will Have a Locked Bootloader

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Samsung has never released anything encrypted, at least among recent handsets, right? So I would think that, combined with it being a Nexus device, gives some hope... though I never doubt the power of Verizon putting their little fingers in the middle of it all.

OneTenderRebel

Silver Member
Reaction score
Samsung has never released anything encrypted, at least among recent handsets, right? So I would think that, combined with it being a Nexus device, gives some hope... though I never doubt the power of Verizon putting their little fingers in the middle of it all.

I would be very surprised if it came locked. It would defeat the purpose of the Nexus name, IMO.

Trusstopher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I feel like we should meet up in an IRC or chat room somewhere or something... that or just just rack up a ton of posts like we(I) did today during the Moto Announcement.

sbenson

Silver Member
Reaction score
It would defeat the purpose of the Nexus name, IMO.

For that reason alone, I have faith. Verizon is powerful, but I don't think even they could screw up the Nexus. Google depends on this device to spread word of their new OS. They can't have Verizon getting in the way of that, otherwise they would've given exclusivity to another carrier. IMO.

Trusstopher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
If it happens, I say we take our complaints and start/join Occupy VerizonSamsungGoogle

ilikemoneygreen

Silver Member
Reaction score
Just my 2 cents here, but im not surprised its encrypted. Moto said the word enterprise during the announcement, enough said? or shall i explain?
And i think moto has always been good at encrypting, i think thats one thing they do well. Before Moto split, it was apart of a company that dealt with U.S. government equipment such as those fancy radios you see cops and fireman using and probably still does have things to do with the goverment. Moto has always had that asset, i bet they have pretty good patents in that field to(not sure on that though). I don't think Sammy has that experience. Definitly not to motos level anyway.

UNC

Reaction score
The only way I would consider this phone would be if the nexus prime sucks. Which it wont. Good job Motorola for continuing to ignore your potential customers.

Motorola's customer is VZW, you are VZW's customer
It will be rooted, and that's all that really matters anyway.

I think the phone looks awesome! That battery life and form factor push it ahead of the Prime IMO, and lets be honest Samsung's build quality sucks, Moto's does not.

droid2drummer

Silver Member
Reaction score
Last I read on engadget, a whiiiile back..lol Was, Htc was the only one at the time even discussing unlocking the bootloaders....Even then, you would call or go to a site and Htc would give you a Key...then you agree to the terms...One of which, you decide to unlock you lose your warrantee...Just what I read....Maybe I missed something? Its been a bit since I heard anything....

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums

Malvado

DF News Team/Mod
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Last I read on engadget, a whiiiile back..lol Was, Htc was the only one at the time even discussing unlocking the bootloaders....Even then, you would call or go to a site and Htc would give you a Key...then you agree to the terms...One of which, you decide to unlock you lose your warrantee...Just what I read....Maybe I missed something? Its been a bit since I heard anything....

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums

No, Motorola also made that announcement...but to this day, we have yet to see them do anything about it.

Sent from my Droid 3 directly to YOU!