Motoprint and Motocast

TJConnery

Reaction score
Has anyone tried motoprint on the D4 and been able to find their printer? My device searches, but can't find any connections. Desktop software installed with no error messages.

Also, since I setup Motocast with this device, whenever my laptop is on, Motocast is syncing in the background, eating up battery. Does it take a day or two to complete the sync if you have 80GB of music and photos on your hard drive? Anyone to control this other than by killing the process?

Sent from my DROID4 using DroidForums

NiteCloak

Reaction score
Motoprint

I had issues with this app. It worked in the sense that it recognized my wi-fi printer and it's IP as assigned by my router without any problem (I have an HP LaserJet CP1025nw
which is only 2 months old.)

However, the app reported back that the printer was unsupported and I would need to install the MotoPrint host service on my PC. I did this and upon successful installation it was able to find and identify my PC as well, but was still unable to connect to the printer. I have a feeling that because the printer was not physically connected to my PC, that the app could not us it, which is ridiculous if true because the whole point of this exercise in the first place, at least for me, was to print to a WIRELESS printer.

MotoCast

A very impressive app but yes it does take a long time to sync. I had over 45Gig of music, videos and pictures I asked it to sync and it took about 15 to 20 minutes. It only syncs the directory and files structures, files names and dates and doesn't actually download them until you actually click on a particular file on your phone. Very clever really. However, I too noticed that browsing through about 20 different pictures and a couple of videos, seemed to hammer my battery for some reason and I went from 40% battery to 15% battery life in less than 10 minutes.

If that is something that can be expected from the MotoCast app interaction with my phone, I am afraid I won't be using it, however cool it is.

SunsNut

Reaction score
I had no problem printing a picture on my phone to my Xerox Phaser 6180 color laser printer. It is not wireless, it's just on my home network. Found it in nothing flat and printed. I was really impressed. Wish it would print to my Canon inkjet though.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Motoprint

I had issues with this app. It worked in the sense that it recognized my wi-fi printer and it's IP as assigned by my router without any problem (I have an HP LaserJet CP1025nw
which is only 2 months old.)

However, the app reported back that the printer was unsupported and I would need to install the MotoPrint host service on my PC. I did this and upon successful installation it was able to find and identify my PC as well, but was still unable to connect to the printer. I have a feeling that because the printer was not physically connected to my PC, that the app could not us it, which is ridiculous if true because the whole point of this exercise in the first place, at least for me, was to print to a WIRELESS printer.

Actually Motoprint is a printer host that will offer up to the phone (for me it's a RAZR), any printer that the host computer can print to already, including those connected wirelessly. It will also host any virtual printers such as a PDF converter or a Microsoft Document Image Writer, since it uses the PC to send the document or picture to the printer.

I have a Xerox Phaser 8200N at home which is connected to the network via ethernet to through the router, but not physically connected to my PC at home running Motoprint and it prints fine. I also use an office printer station that is on our domain via ethernet to the switch and again, my desktop workstation is running Motoprint, and I can print to the Canon Imagerunner Advance on the pic below fine. I initially had difficulty getting it properly authenticated on the domain but I needed the full domain name for the PC entered into the phone to work.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

Last edited:

NiteCloak

Reaction score
I had no problem printing a picture on my phone to my Xerox Phaser 6180 color laser printer. It is not wireless, it's just on my home network. Found it in nothing flat and printed. I was really impressed. Wish it would print to my Canon inkjet though.

That's the key though.. "it is not wireless". Motoprint seems to work very well with a wide range of printers if the printer is "not" wireless!

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
That's the key though.. "it is not wireless". Motoprint seems to work very well with a wide range of printers if the printer is "not" wireless!

Damn, I was sure it could also print to wireless printers, especially if the wireless printer isn't compatible with the client software on the phone. However, upon researching I found this:
How does my printer need to be connected?

To print directly from your mobile device to a PostScript printer, HP inkjet or Epson inkjet, the printer needs to be on a network that has a Wi-Fi access point. This could be an Ethernet network of printers that has a Wi-Fi access point or it could be a Wi-Fi network that has printers connected.

To access printers using MOTOPRINT PC Host, the host PC must be accessible over Wi-Fi from the mobile device and the printer needs to be connected to the PC. Using the MOTOPRINT PC Host requires the appropriate printer drivers to be installed on the PC for the printer selected.

What a disappointment. :frown:

d4sykosoma

Reaction score
Motoprint- should be called Epson/HP print

I don't understand why Motorola/Verizon puts a mandatory app for wifi printing that can only be used on Epson or HP printers... Makes absolutely no sense!!! Very disappointed. Do they think people only use those 2 brands. so stupid!

Last edited:

schatzy62

Reaction score
I don't understand why Motorola/Verizon puts a mandatory app for wifi printing that can only be used on Epson or HP printers... Makes absolutely no sense!!! Very disappointed. Do they think people only use those 2 brands. so stupid!

I understand that is what the program says it will do but there are a number of us in this thread that are printing to other brand printers with no problem.

I currently print to a Konica Minolta C351 Copier/Fax/Scanner/Pinter with no problems. And it even gives me a notice of the printer status before i print so i can tell if it is jammed or out of paper etc.

So it WILL print to other that Epson or HP Printers. Maybe not all but it does do other brands.

d4sykosoma

Reaction score
revision to motoprint on epson and hp only.

So I was able to print only document type files on my canon pixma, but still said not compatible for photo printing. I just think that if your phone has a stock wifi printing app it should include any printer with wifi technology. Otherwise the app should be optional and not take up space on my phone. That is my point.

Death4U

Reaction score
In my experience motoprint works fine on any networked be it wifi or Ethernet. If automatic search doesn't work set it up manually using either UNC or IP address and optionally the sharename. Prints everytime for me. Fyi as long as the printer "talks" in the epson or hp format it will work. Most non epson or non hp printers at least the ones in the last decade support epson or hp printer lang/commands when recieving printjobs.