Motocast question

Barkleyfan

Reaction score
I'm thinking about doing a network storage setup. Will Motocast work with a cheap NAS? My goal is to have my own little cloud storage that will work without leaving a dedicated PC running all the time. My desktop isn't worth repairing, and my laptop doesn't have the capacity. If I can get by with NAS, there is no reason to replace the PC. Guess my question is will the Motocast software actually install on a NAS and run stand-alone, or will I still need running a PC to log into?

scottysize

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone XS Max
I thought you needed a PC/Mac for it to work, but maybe someone knows a way. What type of NAS are you running? I've been using a Mac Mini for a few years now as my "Server". I've got an old Drobo attached to it with 4 1GB drives. It seams to work well and draws less power than a full desktop. I tried running the Drobo by itself as a NAS, but there was just too many things it couldn't do. My PS3 never could see it to watch movies, which is the main thing I use it for.

OP
Barkleyfan

Barkleyfan

Reaction score
I've never actually run a NAS before. This is just an evolution for me. My PC is old (P4, AGP slot, etc) and not really worth repairing. It's been sitting in the garage for half a year now, and I have the laptop for things that NEED a windows machine. Problem is, I have far too much media (about 300 gig) to bog down the laptop. So my options are to replace the desktop, or evolve to the only thing I really need it for, which is storage. I'm just looking for a cheapie WD or Seagate with a couple terrabytes. I know these come with their own server software, but the reviews I've read all imply this interface tends to be buggy. Motocast is not. I thought about resurrecting the desktop (only need a new graphics card) but it has a thousand watt power supply, and it's very liberal with it's consumption. If I can get Motocast running on it, NAS just seems like the most logical step for me.

2THEXTRM

Reaction score
A nas wouldn't work with motocast as it would be unable to run the motocast server program. Nas acts more or less like a local cloud. It lacks an operating system to run programs, only store them.

maybe there is a self powered external usb drive you can connect to your aging pc and select it as available drive in motocast settings

Sent from my Ice Creamed Supersonic Bionic by Droid Forums

scottysize

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone XS Max
That's why I asked him what kind of NAS. The Drobo let's you run apps, but I don't know if there's a Motocast app for the Drobo.

2THEXTRM

Reaction score
That's why I asked him what kind of NAS. The Drobo let's you run apps, but I don't know if there's a Motocast app for the Drobo.

Huh, suprised I never saw that piece of hardware before, very cool tech with potential if a dev/devs get behind it. Nothing for Motocast listed on their website. I see they have an SDK for Drobo, downloaded it to take a peek.