Moto Z & Moto Z Force July 28th! Verizon Editions ..

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
OK I currently have two Droid RAZR M with the bigger sim card. (I use both phones on the same sim)
The Moto Z uses the smaller nano Sim (I think thats the right name)

I think I can cut the larger sim down but can I ever use it again in the RAZR M?
Once cut to Nano SIM size, it won't position itself so you'd have to be VERY careful when inserting it into the larger SIM slot. I don't know of an adapter that will let you go from Nano SIM to Micro SIM. I would at least save the cutting from the SIM and you could possibly essentially use that as an adapter.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
OK, My current Droid Razr M uses the Micro Sim, can I make that Micro into a nano sim?
You can cut any Micro SIM into a Nano SIM, so yes, you can use it in the new phone.

TwoBuells

Reaction score
thats cool, I;m currently searching for a adapter from nano to micro. its going to be tough cause the Razr M uses a spring loaded slot, so the fit needs to be perfect. on the Moto Z there is a tray to load in the sim card.

Both of my Razr M's have the bootloaders unlocked and runnning CM12

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
thats cool, I;m currently searching for a adapter from nano to micro. its going to be tough cause the Razr M uses a spring loaded slot, so the fit needs to be perfect. on the Moto Z there is a tray to load in the sim card.

Both of my Razr M's have the bootloaders unlocked and runnning CM12
Spring-loaded tray...good point. Last thing you want is to have it get stuck.

TwoBuells

Reaction score
I've been searching and there are all kinds of adapters and cutting tools, I just have to find the right one

TwoBuells

Reaction score
Spring-loaded tray...good point. Last thing you want is to have it get stuck.
I should say the Razr M has a spring loaded slot, I did buy a adapter that my newly cut sim from Micro to Nano and should fit in the slot of my Razr M

Clamshell

Reaction score
Yes, I ordered the phone on BB site and as for my plan my bill says "Verizon Wireless Keep Existing Plan"
I had the same deal going with Verizon, but as I posted above, BB had a better deal. I will have to pay a $40 activation fee which will come on my phone bill
Save your printout. You might need it. I've been told DPP is the only way to keep Unltd. data plan. This must be a loophole. Guess I'll do the same and see what happens.
Again, I'm telling you what Verizon's public position on this is. If it slips through the cracks, so be it, but there were others in past "loophole" transactions that found out only too late that the system pulled the trigger on them automatically. The system can find those new contracts and connect them with the IMEI to the phone that was purchased on that contract, then see the phone being activated on an existing UDP plan and flag it for plan change.

You see, Verizon is paying Best Buy the commissions to bring a "new contract" and that commission is being used by Best Buy at the register (or on the web store), to subsidize the price to the consumer. It is no different than taking a new contract at a phone center store, getting the phone subsidized and losing the UDP in the process.

Today, the only way to legitimately keep UDP is either to bring your own phone (not one subsidized by Verizon, whether directly or indirectly through a retailer with a new 2-year contract), or go on a payment plan at full price. I'm not saying the Best Buy Bypass won't work, I'm just warning those who attempt it that it may backfire.
I was under the impression it had to be DPP and only if you were paying the 49.99 already. I agree with what you are saying. Then I stumble across this:
Reminder: You Can Upgrade at Verizon and Keep Unlimited Data These Days | Droid Life
If you read the comments at the end people are claiming this still works ok. Others say no it doesn't. Not sure what I'll do at this point. I might just wait to see what the 2016 Nexus phones are like or the pending Moto X. Or maybe I'll just do the BB DPP for the 21.83 monthly and not look back. Decisions decisions.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
The "Device Payment Plan" they're talking about is Verizon's solution to paying FULL PRICE but instead of paying it all up front, you're buying it from direct from Verizon in a 24 month payment plan. This DOES still work since Verizon says you are paying FULL PRICE, or in other words, no subsidized costs. They take the full price and divide it by 24, and you pay 1/24th each month for 2 years.

There is no new cellular pricing plan contract required since Verizon isn't paying any of the cost of the phone for you. They ARE essentially lending you the money and not charging you interest (0% financing), but they aren't reducing the price by subsidy so as far as they are concerned it's no different than buying the phone for cash at Best Buy or any other retailer and putting your SIM card into it. Of course, they're also earning a profit because you're paying them the full retail price against the wholesale cost of the phone they paid for it so they're not losing any money on the lost interest.

By contrast, if they pay Best Buy the commissions for the "New Activation and 2 year contract" (essentially under false pretenses), and then Best Buy earns a profit on the retail price of the phone, Verizon SHOULD be making a profit during that 2 years on the "NEW" activation. Unfortunately they are not because the "New Activation" isn't really new, it's a regurgitation of the existing customer, and they just LOST the commissions they paid to Best Buy. Net result, Verizon is essentially in the same place they were before the transaction with respect to future revenue, but they are in the hole for the commissions to Best Buy.

Best Buy on the other hand makes out like a bandit so they don't care if Verizon loses as long as they win. This is why Verizon says you can keep your existing plan (*since it's part of the agreement they signed with Best Buy to be an agent for them), but you will lose Unlimited Data (*since they're not getting a new activation, just a 2-year re-commitment).

Pardon my ignorance, but what is DPP?

Clamshell

Reaction score
The "Device Payment Plan" they're talking about is Verizon's solution to paying FULL PRICE but instead of paying it all up front, you're buying it from direct from Verizon in a 24 month payment plan. This DOES still work since Verizon says you are paying FULL PRICE, or in other words, no subsidized costs. They take the full price and divide it by 24, and you pay 1/24th each month for 2 years.

There is no new cellular pricing plan contract required since Verizon isn't paying any of the cost of the phone for you. They ARE essentially lending you the money and not charging you interest (0% financing), but they aren't reducing the price by subsidy so as far as they are concerned it's no different than buying the phone for cash at Best Buy or any other retailer and putting your SIM card into it. Of course, they're also earning a profit because you're paying them the full retail price against the wholesale cost of the phone they paid for it so they're not losing any money on the lost interest.

By contrast, if they pay Best Buy the commissions for the "New Activation and 2 year contract" (essentially under false pretenses), and then Best Buy earns a profit on the retail price of the phone, Verizon SHOULD be making a profit during that 2 years on the "NEW" activation. Unfortunately they are not because the "New Activation" isn't really new, it's a regurgitation of the existing customer, and they just LOST the commissions they paid to Best Buy. Net result, Verizon is essentially in the same place they were before the transaction with respect to future revenue, but they are in the hole for the commissions to Best Buy.

Best Buy on the other hand makes out like a bandit so they don't care if Verizon loses as long as they win. This is why Verizon says you can keep your existing plan (*since it's part of the agreement they signed with Best Buy to be an agent for them), but you will lose Unlimited Data (*since they're not getting a new activation, just a 2-year re-commitment).

Pardon my ignorance, but what is DPP?
Not ignorance. Device Payment Plan. It's definitely Caveat emptor on this one.

TwoBuells

Reaction score
I stopped by Best Buy today and talked to the Verizon Rep. I wanted to see if the Moto Z phones are coming in on Thurs and ask the VZ rep some questions about my account. She said my account will stay the same, same price and same data plan, I said, I'm a grandfathered UD customer. She said your already paying the 49.99 price for your UD. Verizon is going after the users that use over 100GB a month, my average is 35gb and I had a peak a few months ago of 60GB. also once last year I had a month over 250gb.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
I stopped by Best Buy today and talked to the Verizon Rep. I wanted to see if the Moto Z phones are coming in on Thurs and ask the VZ rep some questions about my account. She said my account will stay the same, same price and same data plan, I said, I'm a grandfathered UD customer. She said your already paying the 49.99 price for your UD. Verizon is going after the users that use over 100GB a month, my average is 35gb and I had a peak a few months ago of 60GB. also once last year I had a month over 250gb.
I don't disagree that Best Buy takes this position. Now call Verizon, the company that is actually providing your cellular service, the company you are actually signing a contract with for that service and see what they say about keeping your existing UDP while getting your phone from Best Buy at no cost under a "new two year contract".

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

TwoBuells

Reaction score
I have not upgraded in five years because I didn’t want to lose my UDP buts it is time to get a new phone so I was looking at VZ’s site and liked the new Moto Z Droid coming out. I signed up for an upgrade to see what plans I could get. I went through and when I got to choose a plan the site kept my same plan, so I called VZ and talked to several reps and they all said I was going to keep my same plan with UD. I was and still am paying 49 bucks for my UDP. A few hours went by and I was reading some reviews on the Moto Z and came across the BB deal for $1.00 + the JBL speaker. So I called VZ and they could not match the price and told me I could cancel and get the phone through BB but to make sure the BB site says you can keep your existing plan which it did so I ordered one. Like I stated above I was at BB today talking to the Verizon Employee Rep. She looked up my account and said with my new two year contract my UDP will stay the same price because I was already paying the 49 dollars a month for it. Actually with my new two year contract my total price is going to go down about 9 bucks.

Another way to look at the BB price. The Moto Z Droid regular price with a two year contract is $201.00 but now its on sale for 200 off. Moto Z Force is also 200 off, sale price is 99. We will see how this turns out next week or when my bill comes.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
I have not upgraded in five years because I didn’t want to lose my UDP buts it is time to get a new phone so I was looking at VZ’s site and liked the new Moto Z Droid coming out. I signed up for an upgrade to see what plans I could get. I went through and when I got to choose a plan the site kept my same plan, so I called VZ and talked to several reps and they all said I was going to keep my same plan with UD. I was and still am paying 49 bucks for my UDP. A few hours went by and I was reading some reviews on the Moto Z and came across the BB deal for $1.00 + the JBL speaker. So I called VZ and they could not match the price and told me I could cancel and get the phone through BB but to make sure the BB site says you can keep your existing plan which it did so I ordered one. Like I stated above I was at BB today talking to the Verizon Employee Rep. She looked up my account and said with my new two year contract my UDP will stay the same price because I was already paying the 49 dollars a month for it. Actually with my new two year contract my total price is going to go down about 9 bucks.

Another way to look at the BB price. The Moto Z Droid regular price with a two year contract is $201.00 but now its on sale for 200 off. Moto Z Force is also 200 off, sale price is 99. We will see how this turns out next week or when my bill comes.
The Best Buy "Verizon Employee Rep" is not the same as a Verizon Wireless technical support staff and I would trust their information less. If you call 1-800-922-0204 and keep pressing "0" you will get to Technical Support. I would ask them as I mentioned.

Either way, I wish you good luck and I hope it works.

TwoBuells

Reaction score
I've had the new Moto z for 16 days now and received my first bill with the new phone. My plan stayed the same. We'll see what happens next month, but I'm guessing it will stay the same. VZ sent me a email saying what my new bill will be and the plan stayed the same.
BTW, I love the phone, speed is really fast, size is great. disabled all the bloat apps and I really thought I'm miss a rooted phone but with the speed and feel of Android 6.01 the phone just fun. The JBL Moto mod sounds great.