[Moto X Rumors] Won't be a 'Droid' on VZW; Customization Options; Advanced SW & More

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
motorola-X-Phone.jpg

This morning we have several rumors regarding the new Moto X phone that will be officially announced today. First up is one from late last night, and was shared by pc747. The new Moto X phone will not be coming to Verizon as a "Droid" device, but instead will keep its unified Moto X branding. It appears that Motorola intends the Moto X to be their own personal flagship branded smartphone, like the Apple iPhone and Galaxy Series from Samsung. If true, then the Droid Ultra we heard about recently will be its own separate device, which is an interesting bit of secondary news to ride along with these rumors.

Our second set of rumors regarding the new Moto X is some of the customization options as well as a confirmation on some of the advanced software features. Some of these features were hinted at recently by Moto's new CEO Dennis Woodside, and here they are again. Motorola intends to push the boundaries toward an AI-like series of interface features. This includes: an always-on listening mode, support for a standalone language processing chip, and a separate contextual awareness chip that analyzes the input from an array of sensors.

Furthermore, additional details of the phone have been fleshed out a bit. Here's a quote with the details,

• Specifications – The specs that leaked so far are real: 720p display, dual-core Snapdragon S4 MSM8960 Pro processor, 2GB of RAM.
  • Battery life – unknown, but it will be “industry leading”.
  • Storage – multiple options available.
  • Availability – in August, US first, Verizon not likely to get it, other countries to get in Q4. Will also sell unlocked.
  • Price – not specified, but around $299 or less.
  • Customization – users will get to choose the case material and the color, as well as the wallpaper, ringtone, and apps through a web portal
  • Materials – plastic, wood, metal, carbon fiber (based on rumors)
  • Contextual aware – always-on listening mode, supported by a standalone language processing chip and a contextual awareness chip that analyzes the input from an array of sensors.

It certainly seems like the new Moto X is shaping up to be an intriguing new device. Who cares if the internal hardware isn't as cutting edge as the rest of the flagships? If you can do more with less, then that is simply the smarter and more efficient choice. Regardless, we will continue to bring you updates on details about the Moto X as quickly as we can find them, so stay tuned!

Update: In this story, Android Authority seems to indicate the phone won't be coming to Verizon, but later reports suggest that Verizon will be getting it, so you might tentatively disregard that piece of info above. Alternatively, you can check out the newer story by clicking here for more up to date information.

Source: AndroidAuthority

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
I'm glad they abandoned the spec race and are steering the ship in a different direction. Focusing on innovation with the software and features rather than Octogonaltriexelsize and Hexogonalicious processors with 12,000 nanogram triangles/sec GPU's. Supposedly VZW won't be seeing this handset. Take that with the proverbial grain of salt but it wouldn't surprise me. They have the new Droid line-up to push

GigaJake

Reaction score
So far, it looks like the customization option for a physical keyboard is out.

Guess I'll be watching for any more Droid Ultra news. :p

This. Months of following the Moto X unicorn and I still can't get excited. C'mon Moto! 2013 needs something with a keyboard.

Sent from my XT894 using Tapatalk 2

bigdad63

Reaction score
Hopefully you can opt out of those ugly onscreen buttons.

OP
dgstorm

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm glad they abandoned the spec race and are steering the ship in a different direction. Focusing on innovation with the software and features rather than Octogonaltriexelsize and Hexogonalicious processors with 12,000 nanogram triangles/sec GPU's. Supposedly VZW won't be seeing this handset. Take that with the proverbial grain of salt but it wouldn't surprise me. They have the new Droid line-up to push

Nope... you misunderstood the post. It isn't that Verizon won't get the handset... it's that it won't be a Droid.

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
Nope... you misunderstood the post. It isn't that Verizon won't get the handset... it's that it won't be a Droid.
No no I got that. I was tossing in a whole other topic lol..my bad

bigdad63

Reaction score
This. Months of following the Moto X unicorn and I still can't get excited. C'mon Moto! 2013 needs something with a keyboard.

Sent from my XT894 using Tapatalk 2

I would love a keyboard, but the trend is now thinness even if it's to the detriment of battery life and in hand feel.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Interesting direction Moto is taking with this phone, could really be a good thing. Definitely takes customization to the next level and there is certainly an audience out there for it.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score

I sort of agree but don't. Quad core processors help take the load off the other processors which helps in over all performance and battery life. Now I agree that android needs to continue optimizing the software but with people wanting their phone to come with features that does everything from help them work out, talk to them, start their cars, and cook dinner for them, then you can only optimize so much. The reason the galaxy devices sell is because of the features. Plus these devices are performing well even with all the features (see this article Google Play edition reviews: The HTC One and Samsung Galaxy S4 | Android Central).

Motorola needs that it factor that will sell phones. For the galaxy devices it is the s - features. For the Htc one it is the look and feel. Motorola has been hindered partly by their lack of software innovation and their contract to one carrier. Samsung and Htc building for multiple carriers including overseas gained experience about what sells and what doesn't. Samsung and Htc had some hiccups along the way but it helped them understand what people want. Sadly motorola is behind the power curve and the best thing for them is to serve customers beyond verizon. Motorola with their radios and build quality can really do some damage once they find that "it" factor that will separate them from the pack. And coming out with a dual core phone when even cheap phones are rocking quad core isnt it.

[video=youtube;d-suIXLlabM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-suIXLlabM&feature=c4-overview&list=UUsW36751Gy-EAbHQwe9WBNw[/video]

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
I sort of agree but don't. Quad core processors help take the load off the other processors which helps in over all performance and battery life. Now I agree that android needs to continue optimizing the software but with people wanting their phone to come with features that does everything from help them work out, talk to them, start their cars, and cook dinner for them, then you can only optimize so much. The reason the galaxy devices sell is because of the features. Plus these devices are performing well even with all the features (see this article Google Play edition reviews: The HTC One and Samsung Galaxy S4 | Android Central).

Motorola needs that it factor that will sell phones. For the galaxy devices it is the s - features. For the Htc one it is the look and feel. Motorola has been hindered partly by their lack of software innovation and their contract to one carrier. Samsung and Htc building for multiple carriers including overseas gained experience about what sells and what doesn't. Samsung and Htc had some hiccups along the way but it helped them understand what people want. Sadly motorola is behind the power curve and the best thing for them is to serve customers beyond verizon. Motorola with their radios and build quality can really do some damage once they find that "it" factor that will separate them from the pack. And coming out with a dual core phone when even cheap phones are rocking quad core isnt it.

We are pretty much in agreement on this, but my point wasn't one of which questioned the ability of a Dual Core or Quad core being able to perform all these task flawlessly. My point was as long as the hardware can power all these features without a hiccup, it doesn't matter what they throw in it, it will sell and it will sell well. On paper the X may or may not be impressive, but in users hands with some very powerful and innovative features that will all go away.

equake

Reaction score
This doesn't seem like a Hero phone.

The specs are yester year. On the other hand it's good for a midrange.

Maybe in October there will be a real hero phone

My 2 cents

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
This doesn't seem like a Hero phone.

The specs are yester year. On the other hand it's good for a midrange.

Maybe in October there will be a real hero phone

My 2 cents

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

I must admit I feel the same. We have rumors of Samsung pushing to 3gbs of ram (Rumor Suggests the Galaxy Note 3 From Samsung Will Feature 3GB of RAM ? Droid Life) while motorola is kicking out a phone that is basically on par with last years galaxy s 3 (US Carrier versions). I do hope google can optimize their software where the device is more conservative on ram but the reality is the more they pack into the phone the more ram they will need to keep the device running smooth. I personally like what HTC did with the HTC one the device is just buttery smooth.