Moto X Messaging app counter?

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
I recently ordered my wife a new custom designed Moto X from Motomaker and so far she absolutely loves the phone (I do too, it's a great phone that we should have bought sooner). Shortly after activating it and getting the basics set up I updated it to 4.4.4. The Messaging app icon does not display a "counter" of new text messages (number of new messages). Is that normal on the Moto X? I can't remember if it was displaying a count, or not, on the first day. Or is that a feature of the Droid line only? Our Razr M's and my new Maxx display a message count. Not a big deal if it's not supposed to, just curious. Thanks in advance.

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
It should. My friends Moto X does.

CJM

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
Twitter
https://twitter.com/Corey
I think I had to use another home screen launcher(Apex + Apex Notifier) to get that. I could be wrong, I never ran the stock launcher long enough to find out

Tapped from a Moto X

grenefroggie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Nexus 5
I use Hangouts for SMS. Remember, the Moto X is as close to AOSP you can get. To my knowledge, that is not a feature of AOSP.

OP
Sajo

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Thanks for the replies. Between activating both new phones within a short time, and then upgrading the OS, I could not remember if the X was ever displaying a count or not. It's just one of the little things she misses from her Razr M, but not a big deal overall

TatDroid

Reaction score
I also use hangouts for SMS, only because of the issue the stock messaging app had with group texts. (not sure if that's still a problem with the stock app or not).

grenefroggie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Nexus 5
Handcent, Go SMS, and a slew of other messaging apps will also solve the group messaging issue.

OP
Sajo

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
We have not seen any issues with group texts on her phone. Seems to work pretty good.

GoCliffGo05

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 7
I use Nova launcher with the unread count plug in. It adds a counter to texts, email, Facebook, hangouts and other apps.

Sent from my XT1060

TatDroid

Reaction score
We have not seen any issues with group texts on her phone. Seems to work pretty good.
The "issue" was that replies from some recipients in the group would go into their individual thread instead of coming into the group thread. It made it very difficult to keep track of everyone's answers to a group text. But, as I said, that was when the X was still fairly new. Maybe one of the OS updates since then has solved the problem. I wouldn't know, since I've been using Hangouts ever since.

OP
Sajo

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
The "issue" was that replies from some recipients in the group would go into their individual thread instead of coming into the group thread. It made it very difficult to keep track of everyone's answers to a group text. But, as I said, that was when the X was still fairly new. Maybe one of the OS updates since then has solved the problem. I wouldn't know, since I've been using Hangouts ever since.
OK, thanks for the info. I'll try to remember to keep a lookout for that & see how it works on 4.4.4.

grenefroggie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Nexus 5
That has always been an issue with the stock messaging app, regardless of the phone I have used.

OP
Sajo

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
That has always been an issue with the stock messaging app, regardless of the phone I have used.
I have heard others say that also. For me personally, I have only seen that happen on any of my Droid phones (D1, D3, Bionic, Razr M and Maxx) when someone in the group is on a basic phone.

grenefroggie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Nexus 5
I don't know about any of the phones you listed, but usually Moto has their own app, like Samsung, LG etc. do. On all of my Nexus devices, and my Moto X, group messaging never works properly. Group messages are usually sent via MMS, not SMS. This is just my personal experience, but I have learned to just not use it.

OP
Sajo

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
I don't know about any of the phones you listed, but usually Moto has their own app, like Samsung, LG etc. do. On all of my Nexus devices, and my Moto X, group messaging never works properly. Group messages are usually sent via MMS, not SMS. This is just my personal experience, but I have learned to just not use it.
One of the many great things about Android....there are usually options & apps available to suit each individual and make the phone do the things we want it to do. My daughters both like & use Hangouts. I prefer the stock Messaging app. I know a lot of people like Handcent and Chomp. Its good to have choices.