If group messaging(mms) is important you DO NOT want a Moto X

b-jammin21

Reaction score
The issue is that replies from some recipients (not all) get put into that person's individual text thread, rather than in the group thread. It makes it almost impossible to follow a group conversation.

Okay I get it. I actually prefer it that way.

However, I have had it work both ways in different situations...sometimes they'll only respond back to me. Other times, they'll respond back to the whole group.

TatDroid

Reaction score
Okay I get it. I actually prefer it that way.

However, I have had it work both ways in different situations...sometimes they'll only respond back to me. Other times, they'll respond back to the whole group.

Yes, it seems to be very inconsistent. Depending on what phone starts the group text (iPhone, Galaxy S3 or S4,etc) the responses may come one way. And depending on what other phones are in the group seems to vary how the responses come in.

Here's a scenario that shows why this can be a challenge: you send a text to a group about meeting arrangements. The responses come back in each individual's thread. The next day you go back to recap the responses, but only 1, or maybe none, of the responses are in your original thread. You have to go hunting in each individual's thread to find them.

And a week from now, you're reading through a text conversation you had with somebody, and intermittently in the thread are totally random texts that make no sense. That's because they are actually answers to some group text, but there is no way to tell what the original text was that they were responding to.

BTW, I've now enabled "hang outs" as my default text client. Seems to have solved the problem.

bigbadwulff

Reaction score
Had Hangouts on my RAZRM. Hated the name so I never enabled it ....lol. Figured it was more bull crap. Looks like if I get the MotoX I might have to use it.

TatDroid

Reaction score
Had Hangouts on my RAZRM. Hated the name so I never enabled it ....lol. Figured it was more bull crap. Looks like if I get the MotoX I might have to use it.

Yep, it handles group texts on the Moto X just fine! And, as was mentioned previously in this thread, there are indications that Google may make Hangouts the default Android SMS client at some point.

TatDroid

Reaction score
Got the phone today. Group messaging worked fine with native txt.

Glad it seems to be working for you. It was very hit or miss for me, before I enabled Hangouts. It depended on what type of phone initiated the group text and what types of phones we in the group. The iPhone responses tended to stay in the group, but a Galaxy S3 usually showed up in that person's individual thread. And replies from an LG phone in the group also often went to a personal thread instead of coming to the group thread. But again, after enabling Hangouts all replies all stay in the group thread now.

bigbadwulff

Reaction score
Most people I group text have i-fauxns. One has aRazr M and coming from it I know it does group texts well albeit much slower.

TatDroid

Reaction score
Most people I group text have i-fauxns. One has aRazr M and coming from it I know it does group texts well albeit much slower.

Yes, but the issue is not how the Razr handles group texts, it's how the Moto X handles group texts coming FROM the Razr (and from all sorts of other types/brands of phones with their various OS's). Not sure why it makes a difference - but it does.

bigbadwulff

Reaction score
So far no problems from i-phone nor razrM.
Also sending a pic with group messaging works better with messaging than hangouts.