Moto Picks a Fight With Apple, Claims the iPhone 4S and iCloud Infringe on 6 Patents

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
motoheadquarters.jpeg

Just another day in patent infringement lawsuit land. If this keeps up we will have to dedicate an entire site to these lawsuits. Yeah ok, bad idea we know. Good news is that this is not another Samsung vs Apple headline. Motorola is involved in another patent infringement suit against Apple and this time it's over 6 patents that they say involve the iPhone 4S and iCloud. All six Motorola patents-in-suit are asserted against the iPhone 4S. All but two (the '987 and the '737 patents) are asserted against the iCloud. The six patents are as follows:

- U.S. Patent No. 5,710,987 on a “receiver having concealed external antenna”

- U.S. Patent No. 5,754,119 on a “multiple pager status synchronization system and method”

- U.S. Patent No. 5,958,006 on a “method and apparatus for communicating summarized data”

- U.S. Patent No. 6,101,531 on a “system for communicating user-selected criteria filter prepared at wireless client to communication server for filtering data transferred from host to said wireless client”

- U.S. Patent No. 6,008,737 on an “apparatus for controlling utilization of software added to a portable communication device”

- U.S. Patent No. 6,377,161 on a “method and apparatus in a wireless messaging system for facilitating an exchange of address information"

An interesting factoid is that Google had to give Moto the thumbs up to move forward with the lawsuit. Unless you have been living under a rock Google and Motorola are currently closing a $12.5 billion merger, which is expected to close in early 2012. In the fine details of their agreement it states that Motorola cannot “assert any Intellectual Property Right in any new Action or in any counter claim” without Google’s approval. So there you have it, another wonderful patent infringement suit to brighten your day. Stay tuned until tomorrow when we bring you yet another suit coming from someone directed at someone else. We're kidding.........hopefully

Source: Foss

Sweettooth

Reaction score
I swear, most patents, no matter who they're filed by, are such a joke. “method and apparatus for communicating summarized data”

Really??

Can I patent raising an upper body limb to ones face to prevent the exhalation of air from the mouth flowing directly outward? Or how about the delivery of liquid to the human body from an external source for the purposes of hydration. Now I see why there are patent wars. I can do this all day! :)

Last edited:

syndicate0017

Silver Member
Reaction score
I agree the patents Moto is claiming have been violated are pretty ridiculous...but I will say that it's about time someone finally came after Apple with something like this. Can I approve and disapprove at the same time?

Crankintopwater69

Silver Member
Reaction score
I swear, most patents, no matter who they're filed by, are such a joke. “method and apparatus for communicating summarized data”

Really??

Can I patent raising an upper body limb to ones face to prevent the exhalation of air from the mouth flowing directly outward? Or how about the delivery of liquid to the human body from an external source for the purposes of hydration. Now I see why there are patent wars. I can do this all day! :)
I guess they(Apple,Moto and whoever else) say,if congress can do it-(meaning;act like a bunch of spoiled brats with to much money and time)then that gives them a rite to do it.Can I approve and disapprove @ the same time?:D

OneTenderRebel

Silver Member
Reaction score
I know I tend to come across very pro apple, haha but Moto has every right to do this as ridiculous as this seems. It's all just further proof the patent system needs a complete overhaul. You will see these Android OEM's starting to do this more often as they acquire more patents. It's not them just retaliating against Apple, it's just now they are starting to build up their own patent portfolio. It won't be long before everyone realizes Apple isn't the only sue happy company.

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
I just feel good for those poor lawyers. They finally have some money in their pockets! ;)

Red Droid

Reaction score
I'm glad to see Motorola giving Apple a hard time, just so they see how it feels. The hidden antenna claim might be a winner. :icon_ lala:

metalspring

Silver Member
Reaction score
U.S. Patent No. 5,710,987 on a “receiver having concealed external antenna”

isnt this most modern cell phones? haha
and its good apple gets a taste of its own medicine for once, but still im tired of these petty lawsuits...i have a feeling that if apple stopped then motorola wouldn't pursue any others in the future either

Beardface

Reaction score
Haha... if Moto were to win these, they could shut down all sales of the iPhone. I'm really not sure how one could design around them.

It is interesting that Google had to sign off on it. Maybe they are hoping that launching this salvo over the bow of Apple will get them to back down from their lawsuits. The whole system right now is a joke. Anything to get them away from lawsuits and back to improving is good to me.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Most of those are far more legitimate, involving software/architecture/hardware, than suing people over whether or not their little black rectangular device looks too much like yours. Suing over code and heuristics is worlds apart from suing over a design that's all over the tech world in tv's, laptops, etc...

The icons and touchscreen heuristics that Apple sued Samsung over are pretty legit, a lot of their other suits are not.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I'm really not sure how one could design around them.

Haha, if they could they probably wouldn't have stolen the code! But that's the game, isn't it - stealing code and changing just enough to avoid infringement?

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
I know I tend to come across very pro apple, haha but Moto has every right to do this as ridiculous as this seems. It's all just further proof the patent system needs a complete overhaul. You will see these Android OEM's starting to do this more often as they acquire more patents. It's not them just retaliating against Apple, it's just now they are starting to build up their own patent portfolio. It won't be long before everyone realizes Apple isn't the only sue happy company.

haha gotta agree...you can almost say apple kinda deserved it, and like someone else mentioned if everything here was validated (which it obviously won't be) that'll be the end of the iPhone haha...still pretty funny seeing how crazy these suits get...i think its to the point where companies are just trying to waste each other's time and money.