Moto Droid RAZR MAXX root/unroot

b00ty_m4n

Reaction score
OK Just got my DRM a couple dayz ago its running 4.0.4/ system version 6.16.207.XT908.LRA.en.US ok if I root this device will I be able to get the jellybean update OTA? Also which root method would ya reccomend? Im on BLUEGRASS CELLULAR in Kentucky B4 I had a milestone A854 with root and thought I should ask B4 I just go rooting like a bat outa hell and FU major!

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3

jpcalhoun

Reaction score
OK Just got my DRM a couple dayz ago its running 4.0.4/ system version 6.16.207.XT908.LRA.en.US ok if I root this device will I be able to get the jellybean update OTA? Also which root method would ya reccomend? Im on BLUEGRASS CELLULAR in Kentucky B4 I had a milestone A854 with root and thought I should ask B4 I just go rooting like a bat outa hell and FU major!
From my understanding you cannot use the Droid Razr Utility 1.82 or any version of the RazrUtility to root the Razr M. There is a significant difference between the Razr, Razr Maxx and the newer Razr M that makes it more difficult to root the M. However, the following link will take you to the only known method to root the M: Root your Razr M now - xda-developers. What TisMyDroid said about updates and other issues with the cellular provider are true. The main question you need to answer before you root is this...if I root is there a method to get back to stock? I don't know the answer to that question so do your research. If you can't get back to stock then I presume you won't be able to accept an OTA update...put I'm not positive about that.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Thanks jp and good catch! I didn't realize the op was talking about the M (actually looking at his version #, I have no idea what he has because my M is XT907 not XT908). I just assumed he had an og Razr because of where he posted and his reference to DRM.

jpcalhoun

Reaction score
Thanks jp and good catch! I didn't realize the op was talking about the M (actually looking at his version #, I have no idea what he has because my M is XT907 not XT908). I just assumed he had an og Razr because of where he posted and his reference to DRM.
No problem...if the OP hadn't disclosed the system version I would have "chased the rabbit down that whole" also, LOL.

OP
b00ty_m4n

b00ty_m4n

Reaction score
My device is a Motorola Droid RAZR MAXX/ not a m also on the back of device it says Model XT908 Type name MOC1D I mean hellfire I've seen so many references to one phone! Lol I would really love it if I could root then if need be unroot but I guess I just may ask to much? IDK oh well I just loved all that the root apps could access I probably wouldn't even flash a custom ROM just have the ability too if I wanted too! Lol. Thanks good peeps

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Yes, in trying to do research, I could not figure out exactly what the xt908 was. The xda forum probably has the most extensive information on rooting Android devices and this is what I found over there...
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1840296

It appears that because it is a rare version, there is not a secure root method for it.

jpcalhoun

Reaction score
My device is a Motorola Droid RAZR MAXX/ not a m also on the back of device it says Model XT908 Type name MOC1D I mean hellfire I've seen so many references to one phone! Lol I would really love it if I could root then if need be unroot but I guess I just may ask to much? IDK oh well I just loved all that the root apps could access I probably wouldn't even flash a custom ROM just have the ability too if I wanted too! Lol. Thanks good peeps
My apology Booty_m4n, you do indeed have a Razr Maxx. The model number is not one I have seen before. I'm not at all sure what distinguishes the 908 from the more common 910 or 912...I'm attempting to research that now but not being very successful. Anyway, since you do have a Razr Maxx the RazrUtility mentioned above may very well work to root your phone. A key question remains, is there a way to get back to stock. With the 910 and the 912 there are fastboot files that will enable a user to return their phone to stock when the need arises. I don't know about the XT908. So, root (or try to root) at your own risk.

OP
b00ty_m4n

b00ty_m4n

Reaction score
FYI I still do not have a rooted RAZR MAXX XT908/ ICS 4.0.4 no one anywhere Ive checked seems to know a sure fire way to root this device! Ive checked at XDA, RAZR.com, Droid Life, or here either! I just keep checking my notis, emails, justa hoping maybe someone will come up with a exploit! Oh well Later on yal

_Jacob

Reaction score
b00ty_m4n said:
FYI I still do not have a rooted RAZR MAXX XT908/ ICS 4.0.4 no one anywhere Ive checked seems to know a sure fire way to root this device! Ive checked at XDA, RAZR.com, Droid Life, or here either! I just keep checking my notis, emails, justa hoping maybe someone will come up with a exploit! Oh well Later on yal

I've had mine rooted for a couple weeks. There is a utility that serves as a "one-touch" root. Message me and I'll send the link when I'm back to laptop.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
_Jacob said:
I've had mine rooted for a couple weeks. There is a utility that serves as a "one-touch" root. Message me and I'll send the link when I'm back to laptop.

Keep in mind Jacob, that the reason we have not been able to give him a reliable resource to root is because the xt908 is not the same as Verizon's XT912 Razr/Razr Maxx...therefore we can not be certain that the same root methods that work for the XT912 will work for his version.

Chairwolf

Reaction score

I'm in the same boat as you guys. I have the XT908 running 4.0.4 and would love to get my hands on reliable root info. Anybod out there can help a brah?

Thanks

OP
b00ty_m4n

b00ty_m4n

Reaction score
What up ChairWolf dude it is a foked up deal not being able to find a Root Exploit for RAZR Maxx every time I think I have the goods someone will make a good point and I'll say fok it again if u find a reliable process pleaz link me up and I'll do the same! Later on b00ty_m4n

_Jacob

Reaction score
I think responded to all messages but in case I missed you the best way is Matt's Droid RAZR utility 1.8 (from this forum). A quick Google search should get you right there.