Moto Droid Help

anthonym

Reaction score
I have a moto droid and I want to be able to raise the cpu to 800mhz. I'm not interested in anything other than this one modification and I want the phone to behave and look as stock as possible. Can someone please let me know how to make this one change?? Thanks!

Oh, one more thing, I also want to know if it's possible to 'restore' the phone to it's stock state if I want to later down the road.

Thanks!!

Last edited:

tcrews

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
android.snkbitten.com
You will need to root your phone and install a kernel that supports overclocking.

Then you will need to buy SetCPU from the Market and set it to the speed you want based on the Kernel you installed.

Yes, you can always flash your phone back to a completely stock, just out of the box image.

OP
A

anthonym

Reaction score
do you have a recommendation for a kernel? I want something that wont effect all the interconnectivity of the diff apps (phone, browser, gps, etc). For instance, i still want to be able to click on a phone number on a web page and have the phone app dial it, or use Yelp! to find a good deli and automatically dial it to place an order. All that app integration is very important to me, and I'd rather have all those capabilities than OC'ing the processor. Will it effect any of that functionality?

Thanks again for your help!

tcrews

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
android.snkbitten.com
ChevysNo1 makes some excellent kernels for the 2.1 OS.

Nothing will change except you'll have the ability to run faster speeds.

I started out just rooting and overclocking my 2.0.1 phone, then moved to a custom 2.1 rom, then moved to another and finally moved to the leaked 2.2 (which is much better than the 2.1 stock image).

Hit the hacking section and read on rooting a 2.1 phone. You'll need a few pieces of software and will have to root from your windows PC.

Flash the .sbf file of SPRecovery, install the update.zip that gives root.
Install an overclocking kernel and buy setCPU from the market.

Your phone will look and act exactly like stock except you'll have the ability to run it faster as well as use root apps (Titanium Backup, SetCPU, Root Explorer, etc..).

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
do you have a recommendation for a kernel? I want something that wont effect all the interconnectivity of the diff apps (phone, browser, gps, etc). For instance, i still want to be able to click on a phone number on a web page and have the phone app dial it, or use Yelp! to find a good deli and automatically dial it to place an order. All that app integration is very important to me, and I'd rather have all those capabilities than OC'ing the processor. Will it effect any of that functionality?

Thanks again for your help!

The best way for you to accomplish this is to upgrade to Froyo. When you do that your phone will become rooted and you will have 2.2 O.S. And when the new 2.2 O.S. becomes available you will be able to install it OTA.

Once you're rooted I doubt you will go back. You will also need SetCPU from the market to Overclock your Droid and I suggest using P3's Kernels (I use the 1 GHZ)

Right now running stock 2.1 I think this is the easiest way to root. You do not have to roll back to 2.0.1. Simply Download RSD Lite so you can put SPRecovery in boot loader. Back up your phone, do a wipe, then an advanced install of Froyo 2.2 and you will have an updated OS with root.

No custom roms or anything like that.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
do you have a recommendation for a kernel?
We can make as many recommendations as you like but you still have to try them out to see what's suitable for your device. Not all chips take to overclocking identically. You might want to read up a bit on overclocking. IIRC there are some FAQ's/guides. Don't forget that there's a hacking/modding section.