Moto Droid and magnets

jl0703

Reaction score
Took notice this evening, if you place your Droid near a magnet, depending on the polarity, your Droid will display either the car dock display, or the media dock display. I noticed this when I placed my Droid in a new pouch I purchaed for it.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Took notice this evening, if you place your Droid near a magnet, depending on the polarity, your Droid will display either the car dock display, or the media dock display. I noticed this when I placed my Droid in a new pouch I purchaed for it.

Yes, it does do that. Try it with Froyo and you'll get still another look. :)

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
Magnet pouches are generally a No-No with a Droid.

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
Way back in November, before the Droid came out, Verizon sent out a memo with all of the problems to expect. One thing was the focusing problem with the camera and an update in December would correct that.

Another problem was that any holster with magnets would trigger either the Car or Multimedia Dock mode. Employees were told to suggest to customers a Droid holster that uses Velcro.

OP
jl0703

jl0703

Reaction score
Haven't rooted and installed froyo yet. Just picked up my Droid several days ago. I'll wait until I get my sons Droid and root his.:)

He'll probably want to root anyway

OP
jl0703

jl0703

Reaction score
Well then....I'll just have to take the magnet out and have the wifee put on some velcro. Problem solved

Msred513

Reaction score
Hmmm. :icon_eek: The purse I carry has small magnets that close the outside pockets. It also has a small pocket meant for your cell phone and is close to this magnet. Should I be concerned about this?

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hmmm. :icon_eek: The purse I carry has small magnets that close the outside pockets. It also has a small pocket meant for your cell phone and is close to this magnet. Should I be concerned about this?

One way to find out is to take a close look at the screen when you remove the Droid. If the car or multimedia dock mode are there, then it's a problem. If so, a possible solution would be to reverse the way you put the Droid into your purse as the influence is slight.

I have the extended battery and the Siedio holster made for the extended battery uses magnets. I spoke with Siedio and they said it won't affect the Droid due to the thickness of the battery (moves the sensor away from the magnets).

GaityUp

Reaction score
pocket dialing and magnet screen launch

Magnets can also trigger pocket dialing or random apps opening. This has been happening on my phone because when the screen turns itself on, anything that brushes the touch screen unlocks and launches. I keep mine in my pocket and its an issue. I went back to the verizon store in burlingame ca and the manager that day (Jon.S) was very rude and denied any issue with this. The s.sf store people took the time to seek a work around.....namely, 1) adding a secondary pattern lock/unlock sequence so that when the screen turns on, a horizontal touch/brush will not be enough to unlock the screen and 2) using the slider case where the touch screen is facing into the flat solid plastic side so it does not get brushed against. These work aounds have helped. Sure glad someone at verizon store took the time to listen. The burlingme mgr. almost lost them a longterm customer! Now if they made a holster case in a non blackcolor. But seriously, I worry about the whole cancer/safety thing with this issue (shielding) and hope verizon will work on this issue with the droid 2

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
Why do you keep a magnet in your pocket and what does this have to do with cancer?