Magnetic Case - Problem or Feature

DogPaw

Reaction score
I was using a Moto Q and I have a case with a magnetic flap that fits the Droid very well and I have always like this style of case. The problem is every time I pull the phone out of the case the phone is on. I don't know if the magnet in the flap is keeping my phone on and killing my battery or if the phone is activated when I move the flap to open the case.

My question is this a feature that can be turned off to conserve battery or is it a problem to get the magnet close to the Droid in sleep mode? Is the magnet triggering some type of car-dock feature?

lauriep

Reaction score
The magnet is triggering it, and it is supposed to. That is how the car dock and multimedia dock work. It is advised to only use cases with velcro closures. No way to deactivate that I have heard of.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
The magnet is triggering it, and it is supposed to. That is how the car dock and multimedia dock work. It is advised to only use cases with velcro closures. No way to deactivate that I have heard of.

Bingo. Magnet is meant to trigger the phone to "stay on", it's how the multimedia docks work. Just avoid the magnetic cases. She's pretty much hit the nail on the head.

xfeathersx

Reaction score
DogPaw-

I had the same problem, I got a piece of moleskin (walmart) 2.00 and cut a piece and inserted it where the flap came over...It stopped that instantly...I just love this case so much, didn't mind making a minor adjustment...

Jay

Reaction score
I have a magnetic case. Just turn the phone so that the screen side is near the magnet and it wont go into multimedia mode.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
DogPaw-

I had the same problem, I got a piece of moleskin (walmart) 2.00 and cut a piece and inserted it where the flap came over...It stopped that instantly...I just love this case so much, didn't mind making a minor adjustment...

Moleskin huh? Sweet find. Always a work around eh?

OP
DogPaw

DogPaw

Reaction score
I guess I will add a toggle for auto-doc mode in my update wish list.

Thanks!

JRunner01

Reaction score
I have this same issue using my blackberry flap case with magnet. However after a a short period of time the phone goes out so I dont think its staying on like some of you who posted here. Could it be because I have the timeout for the screen set to 1 minute?

mjs31

Reaction score
I have this same issue using my blackberry flap case with magnet. However after a a short period of time the phone goes out so I dont think its staying on like some of you who posted here. Could it be because I have the timeout for the screen set to 1 minute?

Be careful. The slightest sense of the magnet will trigger it and could end up eating your battery.

I wear a horizontal holster case for work and ordered the one from Verizon. Very nice case and no magnets. Was using my old BB Tour case, but it would turn it on and off when moving around.

jbyronh

Reaction score
Verizon case kills battery life on Droid X

The horizontal carrying case for the Droid X from Verizon, part number MOTDRDXCAS1, has this problem. There is a magnetic closure in the flap. The magnet causes the phone to switch to the "night mode" when you place it in the case just as it does when you place it in the multimedia dock for charging. That means the screen is on and the battery is discharging every time you place the phone in the case. :icon_evil:

There should be a recall on that case! dancedroid

born2golf

Reaction score
I am using a generic 3rd party horizontal holster with a magnetic flap for my Droid2. I am not experiencing this particular magnetic problem (which I am trying to replicate for you right now) however, I must pay attention to how I insert the phone because in certain position, it can inadvertently hit the top button which causes the screen to activate. Luckily there are some cutouts on one side that I can use to avoid the power button. Perhaps you can check this too?