Mother Of All Android Malware Has Arrived: Roots Phone, Steals Data, Opens Backdoor.

Wholly C^%& Batman! I had Scientific Calulator installed for like a whole year. Did not use it much but did occasionally. Now it's off my phone...i guess because Google yanked it from my phone. It was there Friday last week and now it is gone.

So how much damage was caused by this malicious app? Is there some trace still on my phone? Sounds like time for a factroy reset. Let's see if I can remember how to root it. LOL

Nate

If you were already rooted would you have had a message pop up from super user that these malware apps were requesting su permission or would the app be able to get around requesting permission?

That's a damn good question!

I think it's interesting that it's gone from 21 to 50. By tonight it will be 100.

Look, if you want to put antivirus on your phone do it. But don't hand me that crock of dog dew dew about it not affecting performance. I'm confident the apps I have on my phone are safe.

You're right. It's simple. Any app that runs in the background will absorb resources therefore affecting performance. And from what I can tell, I have one app from the list(not a sex one), it does not toast in su app. It doesn't notify system that it's even requesting su access. It binds to system level and never actually runs as a stand alone. So su app doesn't ever get notified and the code simply maneuvers around your data. I wasn't effected because I dl'ed the app 2 minutes after android police notified google just to see the code. I may not have run it like normal but from what I see, it's a quite worm.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

So what? My Windows based PC can get a virus too, but I still won't run over to an Apple store and buy a mac computer. There is way too much to love about a Windows and Android OS to give up because of a virus threat.

And I don't even run a virus scanner on my PC. First, I use judgement in what I download. I am well educated in understanding file extensions. Most web-based e-mail systems already run virus scanners.

Virus scanners are all system hogs. They cause more problems than do good. And they never catch new viruses. If you know what you're doing on a Windows based PC, you really don't need a virus scanner.

The android OS is the wild wild west. Lookout security software is like any other anti-virus for the PC. It can't defend against not-yet-written viruses. Only when their definition becomes known, then they can protect against it. And by that time, Google has probably removed the offending software from the Marketplace.

Take the good with the bad. Open source has it's benefits and drawbacks. If you need a daddy to watch out for you, then Steve Jobs is waiting for you with open arms.

PS - I'm not an Apple hater. It's just not for me. Kudos to Steve Jobs for his innovation. Kudos for making a quality product. And kudos for waking up the rest of the tech industry with new innovations.

It strikes me as perhaps a little less than coincidental how these anti-virus companies have been crying wolf for months and months and now we get the first real threat but Lookout is all over it.

Not accusing anyone or any company of anything, but merely pointing out these AV companies don't exist without viruses.

It strikes me as perhaps a little less than coincidental how these anti-virus companies have been crying wolf for months and months and now we get the first real threat but Lookout is all over it.

Not accusing anyone or any company of anything, but merely pointing out these AV companies don't exist without viruses.

Without many threats to monitor, of course they'll be all over a legitimate one.

Sent from my Droid

Without many threats to monitor, of course they'll be all over a legitimate one.

True. I was going to give Lookout a checksee just because, why not? But I gave up on it when they wanted my email for the remote log-in capability. Don't want to join, so uninstall.

the people who downloaded those ridiculous apps deserve it..."Screaming sexy japanese girls"??, "hilton sex sound"?...how...dumb.

Wow, way to feel confident judging others.

There are people into that, or there wouldn't be a market for the app. And not all of them were what I would consider outlandish. Scientific calculator, I have one downloaded and use it. Sound manager, also tried it at the recommendation of another user on these boards.

Funny that here, where people say they like the freedom of android, someone wants to limit that freedom to only what the majority like?

For the record, had I seen redheads gone wild, I may have bought!

For anyone talking about going to iphone cause mac don't have viruses ur wrong. Read a post the other day about someone created a virus for mac just to prove it can be done. Not that many people use a mac so y would somebody put a virus on a mac when 80% (not an actual estimate) of the world uses windows.

Wow,
This sucks! I might have to consider dare I say it, an iPhone:icon_evil:

Yea right... Like your really mean that.

Due for a new phone, was thinking 4G but with tier data limits, may stick with 3g. I've had enough crap to deal with regarding Windows and seems like Android is going this same route.

I will be seriously considering the iPhone

This is why I picked up iP4 and will be buying the A5 powered iP5 when it releases. My d1 is just for playing around and media (no service/no sensitive data). When z4root and other one-touch easy-root programs released I knew this would happen. Was planning my escape since the first one-touch came out.

Its great being open.... until your indentity gets stolen... I'm sure the illogical fandroids will say it doesn't matter to them, but when they start getting bills in the mail from Zales, they'll change their tune!

Malware will be android's downfall. Mark my words.

the people who downloaded those ridiculous apps deserve it..."Screaming sexy japanese girls"??, "hilton sex sound"?...how...dumb.

Wow, way to feel confident judging others.

There are people into that, or there wouldn't be a market for the app. And not all of them were what I would consider outlandish. Scientific calculator, I have one downloaded and use it. Sound manager, also tried it at the recommendation of another user on these boards.

Funny that here, where people say they like the freedom of android, someone wants to limit that freedom to only what the majority like?

For the record, had I seen redheads gone wild, I may have bought!

I'm obviously not talking about Scientific Calculator. But if you're downloading an app called Sexy Screaming Chinese Women, and then you're surprised that you have malware, I don't know what to tell you. I'd say the same thing if you say "I don't know how I got this virus on my computer, the only site I visit are warez sites!!"...a little bit of common sense goes a long way.

For anyone talking about going to iphone cause mac don't have viruses ur wrong. Read a post the other day about someone created a virus for mac just to prove it can be done. Not that many people use a mac so y would somebody put a virus on a mac when 80% (not an actual estimate) of the world uses windows.

Noone is talking about Mac.... the reason iPhone doesn't have this kinda malware is because Apple polices iTunes. If you pay $25 to Google, you can put apps on the market without any vetting process.

Yea right... Like your really mean that.

Due for a new phone, was thinking 4G but with tier data limits, may stick with 3g. I've had enough crap to deal with regarding Windows and seems like Android is going this same route.

I will be seriously considering the iPhone

This is why I picked up iP4 and will be buying the A5 powered iP5 when it releases. My d1 is just for playing around and media (no service/no sensitive data). When z4root and other one-touch easy-root programs released I knew this would happen. Was planning my escape since the first one-touch came out.

Its great being open.... until your indentity gets stolen... I'm sure the illogical fandroids will say it doesn't matter to them, but when they start getting bills in the mail from Zales, they'll change their tune!

Malware will be android's downfall. Mark my words.

The thing is they can prevent this by doing some kind of screening. But they're too busy screaming "we're open, we're open!!!" and the fandroids are buying that hook line and sinker (even though they're not really using it's open source-"ness"). That being said, I still think using your brain when you download apps goes a long way. However, unlike popular belief (at least on this forum), android users are just like other users. The overwhelming majority are not saavy enough to even know what malware is, and are not even aware that something like identity theft can happen through your phone.

Back