Mother Of All Android Malware Has Arrived: Roots Phone, Steals Data, Opens Backdoor.

androidpolice

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.androidpolice.com
andy_trojan_thumb.jpg

After an Android user noticed that many popular free apps had been stolen, renamed, and uploaded to the Market by a new publisher, he took a closer look at the code. He found that the apps root the device and steal user data.

However, upon closer inspection, AndroidPolice's resident hacker found that not only do the apps steal more user data than initially thought, but they also open a backdoor that allows more code to be downloaded and installed.

Follow through to Android Police for the full read.

MarkO

Reaction score
Wow,
This sucks! I might have to consider dare I say it, an iPhone:icon_evil:

Beardface

Reaction score
You know... I'd be in favor of the Android Market having a filter, if only to keep out malware. Its stuff like this that gives this platform a very bad name.

georgek

Reaction score
How can you even tell if you have something like this on your phone? Is there a way to check?

Exayex

Reaction score
Does this explain many of the apps I used to use being replace, and the developer changed to magnusdev1 or something like that? ESPN's sports news apps is one of these...it still works the same, but lost it's icon and the developer changed from ESPN to Magnusdev1.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

Reaction score
Oh fuuuuuudge. This is not kewl beanz at all :S I have also been running lookout from day one. Hope that helps.... :icon_eek:

MarkO

Reaction score
Wow,
This sucks! I might have to consider dare I say it, an iPhone:icon_evil:

Yea right... Like your really mean that.

Due for a new phone, was thinking 4G but with tier data limits, may stick with 3g. I've had enough crap to deal with regarding Windows and seems like Android is going this same route.

I will be seriously considering the iPhone

Sanitarium09

Reaction score
Pretty scary. I don't run Lookout or anything like it, but I'd like to find out if anyone who does run security software had a detection. Rooting the device should throw up a huge flag.

Crankintopwater69

Silver Member
Reaction score
I just joined 2day,so I no this will b taken care of b4 the bionic comes out.I'm so glade I joined this site,I've leared so much just by reading about droid products.So I'm looking 4ward to owning my 1st droid phone

kptphalkon

Reaction score
What is more interesting to me from that article is that Google has access to a user's phone and is able to remove, and i assume modify or add or change, code/apps/etc. without notification or consent, If what I interpeted from "as well as remotely removing them from users devices" is correct.

Very long sentence

LocoRon

Reaction score
What is more interesting to me from that article is that Google has access to a user's phone and is able to remove, and i assume modify or add or change, code/apps/etc. without notification or consent, If what I interpeted from "as well as remotely removing them from users devices" is correct.

Very long sentence

As far as I know, apps can only be automatically updated if you have specifically selected that option for that particular app, during an update of that app.