More space madness...

GadgetRick

Reaction score
Ok, got my Bionic. Mounted the phone in order to move some files to it. Says I have 6 items and 8.xx GB available. Seems like this isn't using the SD card.

Why the heck did they screw up all of this storage? Seems like they had no idea what they were doing when they did the storage portion of the phone. Why doesn't it work like it used to???

c_mack9

Reaction score
i think you dont know waht you are talking about. its awesome there is a ton of room for apps. i use to fill up my memory on the OG droid and have to move stuff around. that sucked. i dont see this happening with the bionic. there's 16gb onboard (i think 4gb of that is for app storage) and 16gb on the sd card. best of both worlds.

jstwondrng

Reaction score
Ok, got my Bionic. Mounted the phone in order to move some files to it. Says I have 6 items and 8.xx GB available. Seems like this isn't using the SD card.

Why the heck did they screw up all of this storage? Seems like they had no idea what they were doing when they did the storage portion of the phone. Why doesn't it work like it used to???

There is a bug in the system that doesn't allow you to move apps to the SD card without them disappearing. I contacted Motorola concerning this and after troubleshooting the issue, they determined there was a problem. For now, the internal storage is the best and only place to store apps. The SD card is ok for movies, music, photos, etc...

Jstwondrng

OP
G

GadgetRick

Reaction score
i think you dont know waht you are talking about. its awesome there is a ton of room for apps. i use to fill up my memory on the OG droid and have to move stuff around. that sucked. i dont see this happening with the bionic. there's 16gb onboard (i think 4gb of that is for app storage) and 16gb on the sd card. best of both worlds.
Huh? I don't know what I'm talking about? I'm just reading what it's showing. :::scratching head:::

I'm certainly not the first person to mention storage strangeness.

They did, in fact, change the way things work from the OG Droid. To me, that's bad.

I didn't mention anything about the amount of storage. I'm talking about the amount of storage I'm being told I have left on (essentially) a BRAND NEW Bionic.

OP
G

GadgetRick

Reaction score
There is a bug in the system that doesn't allow you to move apps to the SD card without them disappearing. I contacted Motorola concerning this and after troubleshooting the issue, they determined there was a problem. For now, the internal storage is the best and only place to store apps. The SD card is ok for movies, music, photos, etc...

Jstwondrng
Not talking about moving anything to the SD card. I've read a lot about the bug. I'm talking about the space showing as free when you mount your phone on your computer. I copied the photos from my OG Droid's SD card onto the Bionic this way. No way of telling if I actually put them on the SD card or not. Either way I should have WAY more than 8ish GB left.

Nyteravyn

Reaction score
I called motorola when I saw that my phone too was reporting less than 8 gigs...
Of the 16 gig internal, were are locked out of 8 that is dedicated to phone use....

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

OP
G

GadgetRick

Reaction score
I called motorola when I saw that my phone too was reporting less than 8 gigs...
Of the 16 gig internal, were are locked out of 8 that is dedicated to phone use....

Ah, alright, that makes sense (well sort of) then. However, how does one access the actual (i.e. physical) SD card on the computer then? I'd think mounting it when plugging the phone into the computer would do that but, apparently, not.

Thanks.

Nyteravyn

Reaction score
Mine actually shows up as a physical drive when placed in mass storage mode upon connection.

Nyteravyn

Reaction score
Look for the new drive letter and have fun : dancedroid

OP
G

GadgetRick

Reaction score
I get a physical drive just not the SD card apparently.

I'mon a Mac.