The official "The File System Stinks" Thread...

krazienluv10

Reaction score
we have 3??? i was under the impression the we just had sdcard and sdcard ext... cant even find the 3rd cuz its soo confusing

OP
SSHGuru

SSHGuru

Silver Member
Reaction score
Technically two - the Phone and the SD card.

But they have the Phone separated into Internal and SD-ext.

It's annoying and confusing.

But I can find my video's and pics now.

Someone will prob write an application to deal with this - the phone is brand new and this annoys everyone.

Make sure you don't put apps in sd-ext or they will vanish. I keep them all in phone.

krazienluv10

Reaction score
oic, soo which one is the actual sd card? on my transformer, the folder sd card is really the hard drive and i would have to go under "removable" for the card.

also, if im understanding the sd-ext is really the card, why are things disappearing?

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
SD-ext is the phone memory (8GB).
SD is the SDcard (16GB).

mngdew

Reaction score
I love this phone but whoever designed the file system should be shot.

This is what I've learned.

There are three sections.

Phone Storage 8 Gig
SD-Ext 8 Gig
SD Card 16 Gig

If you put an app on the SD-Ext it will lose track of it. So I keep the Aps on the Phone (plenty of storage).

However my aps automatically go to SD EXT when downloaded..

Tonight I took pictures and VIDEO of my son and I can't find where the heck it is on the phone.

I can play it off the phone using DoubleTwist and Gallery but how can I move it off the phone to my computer?

I cannot find any application that allows me to find the file and move it.

This is driving me nuts!

Actually, it's the other way, sdcard-ex is the external sdcard, 16gb. According to Bionic file system sdcard is a built-in sd memory, and sdcard-ex is the external 16gb.
Bionic installs apps on to its internal memory. If you try to transfer app to "media area", meaning sdcard-ex(or is it internal sdcard?), you lose the apps.

Tegamal

Reaction score
I popped my OG Droid's card into my Bionic because all my stuff is on there, & everything is found under SDCARD-EXT.

OP
SSHGuru

SSHGuru

Silver Member
Reaction score
Very close to what I said but I'm not sure it makes complete sense. If you transfer a program to "media" as it says on the phone then it will vanish. Where is media? Is it the SD card or the SD-ext?

Actually, it's the other way, sdcard-ex is the external sdcard, 16gb. According to Bionic file system sdcard is a built-in sd memory, and sdcard-ex is the external 16gb.
Bionic installs apps on to its internal memory. If you try to transfer app to "media area", meaning sdcard-ex(or is it internal sdcard?), you lose the apps.

mngdew

Reaction score
Very close to what I said but I'm not sure it makes complete sense. If you transfer a program to "media" as it says on the phone then it will vanish. Where is media? Is it the SD card or the SD-ext?

I had Tbolt before Bionic. I was able to transfer apps from internal memory to sdcard to conserve the internal memory. Bionic kills the apps if you do that.