Monkey see Monkey do: S8 no headphone jack?

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Disagree on that last part. It will take an Apple or a Samsung...
Moto is doing it. Now.
LG was first, but they blew it.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
True lg was first to the market I just forgot about them. But also have to give credit to the Kickstarter that started it all and evolved to project Ara and to what we have now. And hopefully it doesn't stop there.

But I said Samsung and apple because they are the (visual) trend setters. The first phablet was a Dell phone but Samsung's note will always get the credit from the public for being first because it was the first that was relevant.

I don't think we will see the modular design truly reach it's potential until Samsung and Apple adopts it because for one they can truly throw the money into it, as Google seems to have given up on it.

Samsung (really Android as a whole) could benefit from a standard modular attachment as they are far behind Apple in accessories.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
I still don't agree that only Samsung can make Android mods popular. Because they have more money? Hogwash. You know Lenovo owns Moto now. They've got plenty of money.
I actually wasn't all that impressed by Moto Mods but they're here and they're going to only explode next year. Moto has a hit in their hands. As long as they don't blow it.
Sammy has expressed zero interest so far in mods.
My point with LG is that anyone can do it. They tried and failed miserably. Moto tried and, so far, it looks like not only are they succeeding...they're the ones to beat now.
Every company innovates.
Your Samsung fanboyism is showing. ;)

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I still don't agree that only Samsung can make Android mods popular. Because they have more money? Hogwash. You know Lenovo owns Moto now. They've got plenty of money.
I actually wasn't all that impressed by Moto Mods but they're here and they're going to only explode next year. Moto has a hit in their hands. As long as they don't blow it.
Sammy has expressed zero interest so far in mods.
My point with LG is that anyone can do it. They tried and failed miserably. Moto tried and, so far, it looks like not only are they succeeding...they're the ones to beat now.
Every company innovates.
Your Samsung fanboyism is showing. ;)

That will be an interesting dynamic to see if Motorola can push the popularity on their own.

Lenovo has money yes but Lenovo is not going to spend the money a Samsung will. Personally I hope Motorola can because personally I would like to see another manufacturer challenge the market.

This discussion I would like to visit a few months or years later to see how things shake out. As I found it interesting going through the topics of 2016 and seeing how they faired.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
The fact that 3rd parties are now making mods, and many are rumored for 2017 speaks volumes about the success of Moto.

hammerhead13

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note10+ 5G
The fact that 3rd parties are now making mods, and many are rumored for 2017 speaks volumes about the success of Moto.

Hello MOTO!! The real Question is What will they come up with for Mods. How many Batteries do we really need? Better Quality Projector and Camera. I still say a Modular Mod would be the Ultimate Moto Mod.

redbert31

Diamond Member
Reaction score
my only Complaint with Note 2 was that the Exynos has Zero Support for Rooting when it went to KK. My Note 2 is still Rock Solid and Found it better than my S3 was. other than that I had a much better overall Experience with my Note 2 than any Phone I owned up to the Droid Turbo and now Moto Z Force. Note 2 started a Revolution!

As Far as Moto Mods. Samsung and Apple dont need to do anything. There are plenty of 3rd Party support out there that can add to their Success. Next we need a MicroSD or storage/Battery Mod or even a Mod that is Modular like i mentioned a while back like that one case that was kickstarted.
nexpaq: the first truly modular smartphone case
A Moto Mod like that would be the Mod of Mods.
I looked at that link about the batpaq and nexpaq and that looks really cool. That would be an interesting development in the world of mods.. People who are really into technology must be all over this idea.. It will be interesting to see how workable this is when it comes out to the public. Thanks for posting this!

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
I think we'll be surprised by what people come up with for mods

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Samsung copied both Motorola and Sony with water proof or spill resistance since the Motorola defy back in 2010. Sony copied get praised 3 years later with xperia Z.

Motorola added HDMI as main stream in 2011 with Bionic and RAZR then OEM jump the wagon then.

Motorola added bigger battery and people backlash then because of price point with RAZR family droid maxx in 2011. Early 2012 then Samsung copied with note 3 get praised 2 years later.

Same thing for high end keyboard with droid in 2009.

Same for micro sim and nano sim first OEM jump it since Apple there themselves.

Atrix with fingerprint scanner.

If it wasn't for Moto x from 2013 no OEM with add extra color beside black and white because of Moto maker.

Motorola is very innovative.

Without Moto. No competition would benefit of it.

Same for Moto 360 smart watches.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro

Agreed.

Since this thread is already off topic and derailed a bit, I'll add to it.

Let's see, we have JBL, Incipio, Tumi, Kate Spade, Mophie and Hasslebad already onboard for Mods. And let's not forget the million dollar developer prize competition by Moto for best new mod. And a pretty good advertising campaign so far. I think 2017 could be very interesting to see what new stuff we have to enjoy.

add119

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
To many look at my signature.

Anyway I would love for Motorola to be innovating like they are with the mod. LG and Motorola seem to be underrated with feature same can be said about LG g2 knock twice to wakeup the screen or LG g flex that Samsung copied.

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
Moto is very innovative. Maybe you're just not paying attention.
Largest battery in a phone at the time: Turbo 1.
Chop for flashlight, twist for camera in the OS.
Shatterproof display.
First to eliminate the headphone jack. And even though it was Qualcomm, they were first with Quick charge and first to include wireless charging.

add119

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Shatterproof display.
First to eliminate the headphone jack. And even though it was Qualcomm, they were first with Quick charge and first to include wireless charging.

I am aware of droid turbo 2. There innovation but doesn't get recognition they deserve.

Twist camera on OG Moto x. Twist torch on high end 2015 phones.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Don't forget Driving Mode Pere, still don't think anyone else offers that. And the fact that some of the features we all enjoy in stock Android today originated in the Moto App in 2013 (DND, attentive display, Active Display, OK Google always on tap, etc.).

add119

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Shatterproof display.

I forgot I knew they was first I love droid turbo commercial in 2014. Samsung and other jump the wagon in 2015.