Monkey see Monkey do: S8 no headphone jack?

Amagine

Reaction score
The ONLY reason features should be removed is when the market pushes them out. If this was a case that wireless technology has finally fixed the compression/fidelity problem (bluetooth can't there is literally not enough bandwidth for accurate signal fidelity) Or USB C head phones were just as plentiful and cost efficient as standard 3.5 mm versions, I would agree to removing the feature. However, we are in neither camp right now. There is a reason the phones mentioned before put in those jacks. People complained about all the dongles required to make everything work. It also was cost inefficient for the companies to produce the phone and adapters when it could just produce the phone with the port.
The main reason Apple went the route it did is because it owns the royalty on the lightning port. It was a way to force every Apple user to buy more Apple stuff or Apple licensed stuff. Therefore giving Apple more money.
Samsung doesn't own the right to USB-C. Therefore, their tossing the 3.5 mm jack has no operational gain whatsoever.

hammerhead13

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note10+ 5G
This wasn't much of an Issue for me Since the Moto Z Force came with the USB C to 3.5mm Adapter. At least Moto Does it right by Not Totally Taking it away.

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
I think the only real argument with not having a headphone jack is the ability to charge and listen to music. Now Samsung has a built in work around with wireless charging.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Can't use credit card scanners that plug into headphones jack. They aren't that popular in USA but rest of the world utilizes them a lot more.

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
Removing the headphone jack does help with making the phone more dust and water resistant as you remove another entry port.
Headphones Jack has no pass through for liquid or dust, it's a naturally sealed off crevice. My xperia didn't even have a cover for it and I was deep water diving with it in the ocean. Only thing that would happen over time is corrosion would accumulate on metal contacts from Salt and I would have to clean contacts with alcohol so I wouldn't hear interfere with headphones.

hammerhead13

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
I think Samsung copies alot.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Im not entirely sure where Samsung truly Copies. Every MFG implements similar Features that others come up with. But Samsung was the FIRST to Break the Mold with a Phablet. Not to Mention Apple said they would NEVER go Big that the iPhone 5 was the Perfect Size and made fun of larger Phones.

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I think Samsung copies alot.

Im not entirely sure where Samsung truly Copies. Every MFG implements similar Features that others come up with. But Samsung was the FIRST to Break the Mold with a Phablet. Not to Mention Apple said they would NEVER go Big that the iPhone 5 was the Perfect Size and made fun of larger Phones.

You are both right, it's just both Samsung and Apple copies so much I find it ironic they are accusing each other for copying. But we are at a point where it is hard to truly innovate with smartphones because we are reaching a barrier. You can only go so thin (just ask Samsung) before it becomes an issue.

Motorola got it right with the mods but unfortunately it will take an Apple or a Samsung jumping on board before mods get the love they deserve from the rest of the industry's public.

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
Disagree on that last part. It will take an Apple or a Samsung...
Moto is doing it. Now.
LG was first, but they blew it.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

add119

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
To many look at my signature.
You are both right, it's just both Samsung and Apple copies so much I find it ironic they are accusing each other for copying. But we are at a point where it is hard to truly innovate with smartphones because we are reaching a barrier. You can only go so thin (just ask Samsung) before it becomes an issue.

Motorola got it right with the mods but unfortunately it will take an Apple or a Samsung jumping on board before mods get the love they deserve from the rest of the industry's public.
Samsung copied both Motorola and Sony with water proof or spill resistance since the Motorola defy back in 2010. Sony copied get praised 3 years later with xperia Z.

Motorola added HDMI as main stream in 2011 with Bionic and RAZR then OEM jump the wagon then.

Motorola added bigger battery and people backlash then because of price point with RAZR family droid maxx in 2011. Early 2012 then Samsung copied with note 3 get praised 2 years later.

Same thing for high end keyboard with droid in 2009.

Same for micro sim and nano sim first OEM jump it since Apple there themselves.

Atrix with fingerprint scanner.

If it wasn't for Moto x from 2013 no OEM with add extra color beside black and white because of Moto maker.

Motorola is very innovative.

Without Moto. No competition would benefit of it.

Same for Moto 360 smart watches.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Samsung makes many of the parts that go into Apple products and just change the molds slightly for their next S series, thus the similarities in look. TBH, I believe the Note1 was a scrapped idea of a smaller tablet than the mini iPad that Samsung put their software in as throwing mud at the wall to see if anything stuck and accidentally changed the entire smartphone world. They never marketed it, never advertised it, never really pushed it at all and it was known as a niche device, just using up older parts. When they went out on a limb, to me, was when they released the Note2 because the Note1 wasn't really anything to write home about in the marketing and profit world. Same thing with the Gear lineup. I believe they were just using parts for an idea Apple had submitted about a watch that did more than just show the time and be a fancier data bank than Casio had. If Samsung wasn't heavy into the parts making I wouldn't have these suspicions and beliefs, especially since Samsung didn't threaten Apple with cutting off the parts supply when Apple sued them for making a rectangular device with rounded corners. Apple literally hands Samsung their ideas so Samsung can make the parts for Apple devices and Samsung adds their flavor to them. Call it copying, call it smart business, call it lazy designers, call it what you want but the similarities are because Apple and Samsung are pretty much joined at the hip on the plastic, metal, and glass parts.

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4

<><

add119

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
To many look at my signature.
Samsung makes many of the parts that go into Apple products and just change the molds slightly for their next S series, thus the similarities in look. TBH, I believe the Note1 was a scrapped idea of a smaller tablet than the mini iPad that Samsung put their software in as throwing mud at the wall to see if anything stuck and accidentally changed the entire smartphone world. They never marketed it, never advertised it, never really pushed it at all and it was known as a niche device, just using up older parts. When they went out on a limb, to me, was when they released the Note2 because the Note1 wasn't really anything to write home about in the marketing and profit world. Same thing with the Gear lineup. I believe they were just using parts for an idea Apple had submitted about a watch that did more than just show the time and be a fancier data bank than Casio had. If Samsung wasn't heavy into the parts making I wouldn't have these suspicions and beliefs, especially since Samsung didn't threaten Apple with cutting off the parts supply when Apple sued them for making a rectangular device with rounded corners. Apple literally hands Samsung their ideas so Samsung can make the parts for Apple devices and Samsung adds their flavor to them. Call it copying, call it smart business, call it lazy designers, call it what you want but the similarities are because Apple and Samsung are pretty much joined at the hip on the plastic, metal, and glass parts.

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4

<><
But even the note 2 specs wasn't better then Droid RAZR or Galaxy Nexus back then either. Beside it oversize screen that phone aged worst then my Galaxy s2 that I still owned.

Galaxy s3 was better phone then Note 2 because of Snapdragon S4 then Samsung horrible processor.

Last edited:

hammerhead13

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
But even the note 2 specs wasn't better then Droid RAZR or Galaxy Nexus back then either. Beside it oversize screen that phone aged worst then my Galaxy s2 that I still owned.

Galaxy s3 was better phone then Note 2 because of Snapdragon S4 then Samsung horrible processor.

my only Complaint with Note 2 was that the Exynos has Zero Support for Rooting when it went to KK. My Note 2 is still Rock Solid and Found it better than my S3 was. other than that I had a much better overall Experience with my Note 2 than any Phone I owned up to the Droid Turbo and now Moto Z Force. Note 2 started a Revolution!

As Far as Moto Mods. Samsung and Apple dont need to do anything. There are plenty of 3rd Party support out there that can add to their Success. Next we need a MicroSD or storage/Battery Mod or even a Mod that is Modular like i mentioned a while back like that one case that was kickstarted.
nexpaq: the first truly modular smartphone case
A Moto Mod like that would be the Mod of Mods.