Mobile Web Pages?

PhotoMaster

Reaction score
Another newbie question. I have the Droid X and when I go to the browser and select my Flickr account, some of the options I need to use, are not available. When I go to it on my PC, the layout is different. I am assuming that I am looking at a mobile version of the page. Is there a way to make the browser pull up the regular page layout? What are the benefits and drawbacks of the different "modes" of browser operation?

Greg

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Another newbie question. I have the Droid X and when I go to the browser and select my Flickr account, some of the options I need to use, are not available. When I go to it on my PC, the layout is different. I am assuming that I am looking at a mobile version of the page. Is there a way to make the browser pull up the regular page layout? What are the benefits and drawbacks of the different "modes" of browser operation?

Greg

Yes. Go into your browser then go into settings, you should see "USER AGENT" > change that to 'desktop'.

also, in the browser address bar type "about:debug" then hit enter. (nothing will appear to happen). Then hit menu > settings > scroll all the way down to where it says "UA STRING" > change that to 'desktop' as well.

These will identify your browser as desktop instead of Android (mobile) :)

OP
PhotoMaster

PhotoMaster

Reaction score
I looked for user agent in settings, and couldn't find it. I also tried the about:debug idea, and that was a no go for me. My DX isn't rooted, if that makes a difference.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

OP
PhotoMaster

PhotoMaster

Reaction score
Does anyone have any suggestions? I'm desperate because I can't manage groups I run, because options are missing when I use my Droid.

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
You could download a replacement browser like dolphin hd. You can use it to permanently change your user agent among other things.

tappin and a talkin

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
^ This. The non-stock browsers generally allow you to set (and retain the setting) the user agent. That said, the stock browser in Bugless Beast 0.6.1 doesn't require the about:config approach.

You can also click on and bookmark the Flickr.com link at the bottom of every page on the mobile Flickr site. The link takes you to the full site.

What are the benefits and drawbacks of the different "modes" of browser operation?
Mobile sites tend to load faster and are generally formatted for smaller screens. To do so they sometimes have less features and media. It really just depends on the specific site rather than the browser itself.

Last edited:
OP
PhotoMaster

PhotoMaster

Reaction score
Thank you much! Clicking the link on the page solved the groups issue!

Greg