Mobil Hotspot stopped working

ralphyost

Reaction score
Yesterday I used the Mobil Hostpot to tether my laptop via 802.11 to my SAMSUNG CHARGE Droid. Everything worked fine.
Came into work today and at 7am it wouldnt work.
The icon is still on my desktop and in the list of apps. When I press the MOBIL HOTSPOT icon, the screen blinks (as if its trying to start the app) but then immediately returns to the desktop.
The MOBIL HOTSPOT app is not working.

Solution?
Called Verizon tech support. Got 3 different tech support guys. The last guy had me soft reboot (didnt fix the problem), then remove the battery while it was still running (didnt fix the problem), then we went nuclear - complete reset of the phone, losing all data except that which is backed up. Well that didnt fix the problem either. Tech support guy said he never saw this problem and said I should take the phone back to the Verizon store for replacement under warranty.

An hour later the same tech support guy called me ! Said two more cases of the same thing were just reported ! Dont take the phone back yet, as they have not yet figured out a solution.

Kudos to this tech support guy Mark for his effort to call me back. Said he would follow up on my case when they figure this out.

The bad part is that when we use our boat on weekends I let my wife tether her PC to my phone for Internet connectivity, and since the phone is brand new I have Mobile Hotspot tethering FREE until June 15. Might lose it this weekend !

Anyone else see this problem?
R.

BigE4

Reaction score
I use it for Internet on my train ride to work everyday. I used it last night and it was fine for the ride home and then this morning it wasn't working at all just like you described, the flash and back to the home screen. I'm guessing more and more cases are goingr to pop up as the day goes on and they'll bsome type of update to fix whatever they decided to break last night. They were probably working with their tracking software stuff they are going to use to track violators and broke some working cog in the machine. I'm sure they will have it fixed by tonight or they will get more calls than they want to deal with. They might even put a recorded message for the problem if enough people call in complaining about it.

BigE

cryoman

Reaction score
Hotspot App Stopped Working

I have the same exact problem, Last night Hotspot was working fine.
This morning, the app doesn't load & only the screen flashes.
Verizon tech support wants to do a hard reset. I think I'll wait until more is known. Thanks for posting.

pappism

Reaction score
Droid Mobile Hotspot Menu Not opening - Save us Ralphyost

Dear Ralphyost,

I would just like to say that your post has already saved me at least 3 very frustrating hrs of not having to call verizon.

This looks like a problem that could be widespread, and I doubt verizon has figured that out yet and communicated this to appropriate staff. Our only hope is your ticket with the verizon people who now in the know. You have to let Mark from Verizon know that other users are experiencing this, and this obviously a software glitch (could be all potential phones).

Please keep us posted. I want my mobile hotspot working again asap.

pappism

Reaction score
newbies

what's funny, is all 4 current authors on this post (including myself) looks like we all signed up for this website today / yesterday - because of this problem.

jgmartinez1982

Reaction score
I also just joined because of this problem! Also had my mobile hotspot app stop working last night. Deleted my corp. email in case there was some security conflict with the app and that didn't work. My phone (which I bought last nite) also downloaded a system update - wonder if that had anything to do with it?

If anyone figures out a fix let us know!

Sammygirl

Reaction score
Samsung Charge mobile hotspot quit working

Same problem here. Mobile hotspot worked fine till last night. It will not open - screen flickers like its trying to open & then "oh just kidding"
Super frustrating, I'm on vacation & need it.

Before calling VzW I tried removing the battery, then the SIM card - nothing worked. Called VzW - was told to try the same things again, all to no avail.
Final step - master reset - did not work. I began doing research & found that I'm not the only one with this issue.

Called VzW back - they do not consider this a known issue, nor have there been any "trouble tickets" filed or found.
I was told that they "pushed" a hybrid PRL thru to my phone, and that it could take 20 minutes for my phone to recognize it. Then I needed to remove my SIM again & reboot the phone.
I've waited the 20 minutes, removed the SIM, rebooted the phone & STILL nothing...

Talked to VzW again - this time the tech found that - Yes there was a master ticket filed this morning. An issue that causes the mobile hotspot to crash. At this time they are asking that no more tickets be filed & the issue should be repaired w/in 24 hours. So hold tight I guess.

Last edited:

pappism

Reaction score
my opinon, its a verizon bug

its definitely from a system update / software glitch.

I think it's probably some changes they are planning to do, b/c as you may know the mobile hotspot is currently free as a trial basis and they will be changing it say you pay a monthly fee.

somebody probably screwed up the programming when they were working on the rollout to support this upcoming change.

just speculation...

the question is how to get Verizon to believe it's a bug so that a thousand people don't call them and waste their staff's time giving stupid advice and waste the customers time, and just get them to fix it asap.

my opinion is ralphyost needs to get Mark from verizon to escalate this all the way to the top....

OP
R

ralphyost

Reaction score
Mobile hotspot broken

"my opinion is ralphyost needs to get Mark from verizon to escalate this all the way to the top...."

I have no way to reconnect with Mark at Verizon. He has my phone #. My impression is that he was escalating it up the food chain.

NO NEED TO DO A MASTER RESET so dont let the techs talk you into that.

Just for giggles, since I was the guinea pig this morning and had already done one master reset, I tried another one. No joy !

As of 2:00pm today, its still not working.

THIS is precisely why REGRESSION TESTING is required on systems with software updates. If we did this kind of crap with the National Airspace System, airplanes would be banging into each other !

The fix may be as simple as backdating what ever software update they pushed down at us last night. Simply remove the update and go back to where the software was yesterday.
THEN go do regression testing in the lab and verify it works before sending it out to operational customers !

R.

g35coup

Reaction score
Holly cow, after going over this with multiple staff they finally master reset my phone and after that didn't work they shipped a brand new phone, even though the current phone is brand new. Glad someone found out there is a master ticket. Do you have the master ticket# so we can call for status updates?

OP
R

ralphyost

Reaction score
What master ticket?

I didnt say I KNEW there was a master ticket. I said "My impression is that he was escalating it up the food chain."

My SAMSUNG CHARGE is only 2 weeks old...so like yours its brand new.

To his credit, Mark from Tech Support did call me and said dont bother going to the Verizon store to get a new phone.

What model phones are you guys using that are also having this same Mobil Hotspot broken problem?

R,.

willwhite

Reaction score
Same thing here. Worked for 1 night. MobilHotspot dead today. UGH!!!!!

pappism

Reaction score
samsung charge - mobile hotspot still not working

ya, no master ticket unfortunately. I am still laughing, b/c I am guess from that verizon has probably gotten at least 300 phone calls on this today, and everyone from verizon is giving wrong advice, not solving the problem and wasting everyone's time and money.

should be a good case study for them on how they communications out to their employees when something critical is wrong.

ralph - i have a samsung charge as well. i'd be curious if the problem is occurring on the HTC thunderbolt - 4g.

pappism

Reaction score
hey, good news, on another thread someone has reported that verizon told them it is officially a software problem.

Mobile hotspot wont open - Android Forums

this whole thing kinda of freaks me out though. The fact that software could be pushed to the phone to disable a function. anyone thinking how close we are coming to a "fire sale" being like reality. somebody please don't piss the Chinese off, for every single marine we have, they have 10 hackers to turn off the marines communication equipment. I bet our F35s don't look so cool when their engines are remotely turned off at 50,000 ft.

Urban Dictionary: fire sale