MMS not sending or receiving

allikanbe

Reaction score
Why can't I send MMS or open MMS that I receive? Not rooted Droid. 2.1 Using Handcent. I used to be able to send/receive MMS, but now when I try to send a pic either from the camera or the gallery, I get the never-ending spinning arrows. When I receive a pic in text, I get 0KB and maybe a few hours later I get 30KB, and then the never-ending "downloading".
I don't know of any app that I added recently. I get the same results when using the stock Messaging app. The Handcent forum doesn't give any solutions.
I've shut down the droid, removed battery and still the same results. I've read other posts about this, but I have not found a solution.
Thanks.

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
You could bring the phone into a Verizon store. If they also can't get it to work, duplicating your situation, they most likely will do a factory reset on the phone, which you can do yourself as well in the settings-privacy section. Sounds like you've done some good searching and are coming up empty handed. You can give Verizon a ring too, see what they say.

I did find this, from last November shortly after the phone was launched:

How to fix the Motorola DROID MMS bug | Gear Live It says parenthesis are bad in phone numbers. Don't know if yours are stored that way or not.

mikeofmikes83

Reaction score
I've seen this issue a lot too, and infact had it myself. Heres what I did to clear up the issue. I'm sure not all of these steps are warranted, and in fact, I'm not sure which step in particular fixed the issue...but I recommend you do them all, just incase:

First I went into Settings > Applications > Manage Applications > Handcent:
There I cleared data, cleared default, force stopped, then uninstalled
I know you don't have to clear data/default and forcestop if your just going to uninstall; but just bare with me and do it anyway.

Next, go back to the apps list and hit your menu soft key at the bottom of your phone. Select filters, then select all. This will display system apps as well. Go to the stock Messaging app. Clear data and force stop it.

Now go to the market and download handcent again.

Go to your stock messaging app and check that all of your settings and notifications are configured to your liking.

Now go set up handcent.

Test it.

Post results, I'm curious if this will help others. ;)

OP
allikanbe

allikanbe

Reaction score
Thanks. Before I read your suggestion, I went to VZW and they did a hard reset. Of course, I lost all apps. I'm reinstalling them now. at least I can send pics.

woot505

Reaction score
I ran into this same problem, how I fixed it was I went back to one of my backups that it worked. The problem was when I was changing roms, somehow one of the files to send mms, pics, voice, etc...... messages got deleted or didn't load,anyway it wasn't there anymore. I went to a back up that I knew it worked let it load up, test run by sending some pics and voice messages, then downloaded the rom I wanted to use again and it worked. I checked the files to be sure what was going on, and the missing file was now there. If the base messaging files are not there handcent wont work right, the base files have to be thre in the first place, they are not in handcent.