Missing Contact Group

calguy19

Reaction score
So I looked up a local restaurant with one of my 3rd party apps, and "added it to contacts". The contact is there, sort of. Tapping on "contacts" does not show the contact. None of the display groups, including "show all contacts", or my google/gmail group. Nowhere to be found. But if I select the phone icon, and then the contacts tab, there it is. If I edit that particular contact, it is labelled "google". Other contacts are labelled "phone contacts google", which is apparently not that same thing.

Meanwhile, the only way I can find that particular contact is by tapping the phone icon, and then the contacts tab. Going to the normal contacts icon and opening the contacts that way does not show that contact.

This is weird. Does anyone know where that contact (and a few others I added the same way) is, and what's going on?

marcjac

Reaction score
Hey, calguy; I just saw your thread and hope I have an answer for you. I think it can be VERY confusing, the whole "phone contact" vs "google contact". I have found that there's a big difference even though they look the same. Google/android treats them differently. Somewhere in the contact manager there's a setting for default contacts. I know in mine there's a place to say the default is "google". I've had to go into all my "phone" contacts and create the "google" contact, then delete the "phone" contact. You can NOT just change a contact from one type to another. Not sure what that's all about, but I just went through this process myself this week so it's still fresh in my mind. If you recreate your restaurant contact as a google contact, then delete the phone contact I think you'll find it will show up in your list. At least I hope so LOL. Good luck!

OP
C

calguy19

Reaction score
Thanks for the input, but is WAS more complicated than that. I had the problem when I was running Froyo. The contacts with Gingerbread (I upgraded) work very differently.

I tried all the logical stuff when I was using froyo. What would happen is, I'd use some "yellow pages" type of app to find a business, then "save as contact". The contact would not be listed in ANY of the allowed contact groups, but opening DIALER (as opposed to opening CONTACTS) and selecting contacts from dialer, that saved contact would be visible. Otherwise, trying to access it thru opening CONTACTS would not display that contact. It was nowhere to be found, anywhere.

Now that I'm using GB I have other problems. Google skymap and other similar apps no longer work properly. The phone has no idea where it is pointing. Apparently some mysterious bug in the compass/accelerometer API built into GB, which may or may not affect all droid X's. Seems like it's hard to find out anything about these kinds of problems. Google does not seem to be busting their butt to resolve the problem in THEIR software.