Is there a way to sync just one contact group from GMail?

LoneWolf15

Reaction score
Hi all,

We use Google Apps for Domains at work. All well and good. The problem is, I have two sets of contacts. One is the set we all get provided --just an e-mail directory, set up in the Domain settings. My second set is a group I have set up with phone numbers --this is a personal list, which I have put in a group currently named "Android Contacts". This group was previously on my Blackberry, which I had set up as a group in Outlook; only that group sync-ed with the Blackberry, the rest did not.

My problem is that when my Droid 2 syncs with Google for contacts, it creates duplicates in a number of areas; it's real ugly. Is there a way to set the sync on my Droid 2 so that I only sync one group (i.e., the Android Contacts group) to my phone, not all of my contacts? I've searched, and found articles on how to do this with some phones, but the options don't seem the same on the Droid 2.

Thanks for any help you guys can provide.

Last edited:

harrellj

Reaction score
If you go to contacts > menu > display options, click on your account and choose the group. Is that not available?

Yeah, yeah.. I'm on my phone. So?

jazzmang

Reaction score
Hi all,

We use Google Apps for Domains at work. All well and good. The problem is, I have two sets of contacts. One is the set we all get provided --just an e-mail directory, set up in the Domain settings. My second set is a group I have set up with phone numbers --this is a personal list, which I have put in a group currently named "Android Contacts". This group was previously on my Blackberry, which I had set up as a group in Outlook; only that group sync-ed with the Blackberry, the rest did not.

My problem is that when my Droid 2 syncs with Google for contacts, it creates duplicates in a number of areas; it's real ugly. Is there a way to set the sync on my Droid 2 so that I only sync one group (i.e., the Android Contacts group) to my phone, not all of my contacts? I've searched, and found articles on how to do this with some phones, but the options don't seem the same on the Droid 2.

Thanks for any help you guys can provide.

Correct. You can thank Moto Blur for the screwed up Google Contact management. There is no way to only link up a contact group with Droid 2, Droid X, as both are mutilated by Blur.

OP
LoneWolf15

LoneWolf15

Reaction score
I couldn't find "Display Options". Am I looking in the wrong place? I think I'll feel like a fool if I missed it.

I have "Add Contact", "Backup Assistant", "Search", "Display Group", "My Info", and "More".

If I select "Display Group", it does not show groups I created from my Google Apps E-Mail contacts, though I've already synced. It just shows "All Contacts", "Favorites", "Google", and "Phone Contacts".

EDIT: Crap. Thanks Jazzmang. Looks like the best I can do is to use the "Starred in Android" group on GMail for my contacts with phone numbers. This is the first really stupid thing I've seen come as a result of Moto Blur, then.

Last edited: