Milestone on AT&T in USA

jgregoryj1

Reaction score
I am interested in getting a Milestone to use on AT&T. I realize I can buy the motorola droid if I want to switch to Verizon, but I do not want that. My questions is if I buy a 3G AT&T capable Milestone from Canada, will I be able to do everything that I can do with the Motorola Droid? Such as full access to the App Market, Google Maps, etc. I want to experience everything the Motorola Droid can do without having to go to Verizon. Does anyone know or have any idea? I would love it if I could find someone who has the Milestone on the AT&T network and get their input. Thank you in advance.

JCo352

Reaction score
Welcome to the forums. But I have to ask; why on earth would anyone want this? Sub-par service with a data cap.

OP
jgregoryj1

jgregoryj1

Reaction score
I don't want to leave AT&T becuase I have 4,500 roll over minutes, plus I have an unlimited Data Plan for $15 a month. I am using a phone that I purchased unlocked so AT&T does not know what phone I am using becuase it was not theirs to begin with. Becuase they do not recognize what type of phone i have, they give me the full data plan uncapped for $15. Those are the two reason why I do not want to switch just yet. I will eventually switch but it will be quite a while. Thats why. Back to my question though, does anyone know if I used a Milestone will it work on AT&T with all the App market items, Google maps, etc. ? Thank you again.

sarie

Reaction score
I use a Milestone on AT&T with no problems. Sadly mine is not 3g capable, but I have no problems with the network. Any other questions, let me know!

grat

Reaction score
Like the OP, I have a long-standing plan with AT&T, unlimited data, etc., so I wound up going the Milestone NAM route. Phone was a bit pricey (about the same as a AT&T friendly Nexus One), but I've had no problems. AT&T has no idea what phone I'm running, and so far (2 months) they don't seem to care either.

The biggest issue I've had was GPS-- The phone, as shipped, was configured to talk to Telus's AGPS servers, which are only accessible from the Telus network, leading to long lock-on times (around a minute). Rooted the phone, changed the server strings, and problem solved.

Marketplace, navigation, etc., all work rather well.

WirelessGuy

Reaction score
The biggest issue I've had was GPS-- The phone, as shipped, was configured to talk to Telus's AGPS servers, which are only accessible from the Telus network, leading to long lock-on times (around a minute). Rooted the phone, changed the server strings, and problem solved.

Marketplace, navigation, etc., all work rather well.
I am running an unlocked Telus Milestone on AT&T as well, the above GPS "issue" is about the only "problem"... It is easily fixed by a quick root and changing the 2 files so the GPS looks to Googles server for aGPS instead of Telus servers...

Otherwise, everything works, paid apps, 3g (plus HSPA which is even faster)...

dmo580

Reaction score
the only downside to me is the slow updates as the euro milestones get updates first.... and the cost. i can't believe i paid $650 for this phone but its way better than an N1. I owned both and returned the N1.

JCo352

Reaction score
the only downside to me is the slow updates as the euro milestones get updates first.... and the cost. i can't believe i paid $650 for this phone but its way better than an N1. I owned both and returned the N1.

You think it's better than the N1? How so?

OP
jgregoryj1

jgregoryj1

Reaction score
Awesome. Thank you so much everyone for you input. I found a 3G AT&T capable Milestone from telus on ebay for $350. The seller already has it rooted and overclocked to 1ghz. I will have to figure out how to change the GPS code to Google. But I can look around and figure that out. Thanks again big time. I was really worried about how the milestone would behave on AT&T. I had heard horror stories of the marketplace not working, and other things. I feel much better. Awesome. Will let ya'll know how it goes.

OP
jgregoryj1

jgregoryj1

Reaction score
I was wondering where you purchase the NAM version. All I find is the telus version. Is there a place I can go to buy NAM? Thank you in advance.

grat

Reaction score
I was wondering where you purchase the NAM version. All I find is the telus version. Is there a place I can go to buy NAM? Thank you in advance.

Whoops! Sorry for the confusion. Telus (a Canadian carrier) carries the NAM (North American) model of the Milestone.

So really, they're the same thing.

WirelessGuy

Reaction score
The seller already has it rooted

I will have to figure out how to change the GPS code to Google.

Simply purchase the app "Root Explorer" in the Market (it is about $2.75 USD). Once you are rooted and Root Explorer is installed simply change the following lines in the following files:

The files:

/etc/location.cfg
/data/location/location.cfg

The changes:

In each file above you will find the following lines:

DL_LCS_SUPL_SECURITY_ON = 1

hslp_address = supl.telusmobility.com:7275
default_hslp_address = supl.telusmobility.com:7275

Change those lines to be:

DL_LCS_SUPL_SECURITY_ON = 0

hslp_address = supl.google.com:7276
default_hslp_address = supl.google.com:7276

You may have to use Root Explorer to change the folders from Read Only (R/O) to Read/Write (R/W) to make the changes, once you are done with each change make sure you set that folder back to the proper permissions (R/O or R/W).

That's it, once you are done, reboot the phone and enjoy a REALLY fast locking aGPS!

OP
jgregoryj1

jgregoryj1

Reaction score
Awesome. Thank you again all of you for your help. I don't even own a milestone or let alone an android device and you all seem so willing to help me out. So big big thank you to all. It is greatly appreciated.