Might return mine today :(

scaner

Reaction score
For the first time I can realistically see myself returning this phone. You guys have legitimate gripes, and I have a 2 week guarantee with a company that I have been loyal to for 7 years +.

Keep telling me why I should give up on the Thunderbolt. I will copy, paste & print these gripes out if and when I decide to return it.

You guys have bummed me out, but made me face reality. I didn't get this phone cheaply and if I pay top dollar I want top results.

Im agree with you...im think to return my phone....

iNfAMOUS702

Reaction score
Ima huge MOTO fan but no thank you to the bionic and a locked bootloader..I want my UD roms back haha..but maybe I just got lucky? Cuz Ive been away from my charger for about 8 hrs nd my battery is 70%...my tbolt is a beast!!

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums App

Last edited:

smokiedabong

Reaction score
The phone looks nice but boy I'm glad I didn't got one . I have a laptop that lasts 3 times more than this phone . You may as well hook this to your landline cause this ain't mobile phone anymore . I thought there is a competition to get the battery to last longer and longer in a cell phone , what happened to that ? I'm keeping my upgrade for a AMOLED screen phones .

want a droid

Reaction score
The phone looks nice but boy I'm glad I didn't got one . I have a laptop that lasts 3 times more than this phone . You may as well hook this to your landline cause this ain't mobile phone anymore . I thought there is a competition to get the battery to last longer and longer in a cell phone , what happened to that ? I'm keeping my upgrade for a AMOLED screen phones .

If you were at all interested in this phone then you should check it out because battery life really varies based on the user.

funkyb

Reaction score
No kidding...I love this thing. Have been using it all day...hard to put it down...almost 16 hours now. Still just under 30% to go.

- Powered by 1.21 Gigawatts of Android.

BillTheCat

Reaction score
I'm curious to know if the folks getting in excess of 6-8 hours on a charge are in active LTE areas. I don't know that my short battery life is due to this issue, but I noticed that my phone spends a LOT of time switching between 4G and 3G during the day. (My office building in downtown Tampa seems to block significant portions of all cell signals)

When switching between 3G/4G, I have noticed that the "bars" will remain at 3 or 4, wherever they were, but the 3G/4G indicator will simply disappear, as though there is NO data connection. (And indeed, apps using data will fail or force close, web browsing fails, etc.) I can sit there with NO data indicator at all for anywhere from 20 or 30 seconds up to 2-3 minutes, solid. (FYI, there is no open WiFi in range of my office)

I have to imagine that the phone is frantically searching for any data signal it can get during these periods, which is, as I understand it, very power intensive. And I would bet that the phone spends, honestly, 25% of its time inside my office building searching for a data signal.

At home on WiFi, I got 12+ hours on Saturday, with light use.

I want to do some experimenting with WiFi disabled to force the phone to use 3G/4G at home. I am curious to see how much time it spends switching, and how often it switches, as well as battery life results.

As a side note, I took my TB into a corporate VZW store tonight & was greeted by a fellow whose attitude towards my battery issues was not empathetic. He assured me that the battery life was just fine for a smartphone, especially an LTE phone, and didn't seem to understand my frustration. He was all but actually telling me that I was wrong about the battery life being a problem.

Unfortunately, they did not yet have the extended battery in stock. I flat out asked him if they'd be offering that battery at a deep discount, or possibly free, since the phone is nearly universally failing on battery life, and he simply told me it will sell for somewhere in the $50 range. (I already knew this since the battery is on VZW's web site)

I am holding out hope that VZW and HTC will see the light and rectify this situation somehow, at little or no cost to us, their customers. I just hope they give us a sign before the 31st, when my 2 weeks' grace period ends... I don't THINK I will return the phone over battery issues, but I'm not entirely certain I won't.

scaner

Reaction score
Its a good idea ,to Verizon and HTC offer a biger battery for customer who bought a TB....

GSXRADDICT

Reaction score
I don't live in a 4G area or work in one and I am getting about 20 hours on mine. They should have at least given the option to turn it off considering 4G is not wide spread. They had to of known searching for service would drain the battery look at how WiFi kills it if it continues to scan for a network. I feel they dropped the ball on an obvious problem. However I bought the phone for the power not 4G could careless about download speed 3g does the job. Just my preference.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

champaned_out

Reaction score
I'm curious to know if the folks getting in excess of 6-8 hours on a charge are in active LTE areas. I don't know that my short battery life is due to this issue, but I noticed that my phone spends a LOT of time switching between 4G and 3G during the day. (My office building in downtown Tampa seems to block significant portions of all cell signals)

When switching between 3G/4G, I have noticed that the "bars" will remain at 3 or 4, wherever they were, but the 3G/4G indicator will simply disappear, as though there is NO data connection. (And indeed, apps using data will fail or force close, web browsing fails, etc.) I can sit there with NO data indicator at all for anywhere from 20 or 30 seconds up to 2-3 minutes, solid. (FYI, there is no open WiFi in range of my office)

I have to imagine that the phone is frantically searching for any data signal it can get during these periods, which is, as I understand it, very power intensive. And I would bet that the phone spends, honestly, 25% of its time inside my office building searching for a data signal.

At home on WiFi, I got 12+ hours on Saturday, with light use.

I want to do some experimenting with WiFi disabled to force the phone to use 3G/4G at home. I am curious to see how much time it spends switching, and how often it switches, as well as battery life results.

As a side note, I took my TB into a corporate VZW store tonight & was greeted by a fellow whose attitude towards my battery issues was not empathetic. He assured me that the battery life was just fine for a smartphone, especially an LTE phone, and didn't seem to understand my frustration. He was all but actually telling me that I was wrong about the battery life being a problem.

Unfortunately, they did not yet have the extended battery in stock. I flat out asked him if they'd be offering that battery at a deep discount, or possibly free, since the phone is nearly universally failing on battery life, and he simply told me it will sell for somewhere in the $50 range. (I already knew this since the battery is on VZW's web site)

I am holding out hope that VZW and HTC will see the light and rectify this situation somehow, at little or no cost to us, their customers. I just hope they give us a sign before the 31st, when my 2 weeks' grace period ends... I don't THINK I will return the phone over battery issues, but I'm not entirely certain I won't.

it sounds like you already know what seems to be draining your battery... its your phone constantly switching back and forth from 3 to 4g.. this if left alone will drain your battery significantly... ive experience this in one place, which i found out this sunday at church... my lte and 3g radio was fighting back and forth the entire time i was there... i went from 90% to 30% within 3hours... i was in the same room for about 3hours and the entire time my phone was switching back and forth... it was so bad that i actually could not surf the internet because of the constant switching back and forth from 1x to 3g to 4g

when this happens you need to toggle off your 4g to conserve your battery for now... hopefully htc is working on a software patch that will help correct this problem... this would be especially bad for someone who experiences this problem as severe as i have if they are at home or anywhere else they spend alot of time in one location

as long as your not in one of those zones or areas where your phone is fighting back and forth i believe the tb's battery is fine... for example today i got over 10hours of usage from my phone on a single charge and still had 50% battery left by the time i got home tonight

Sitrick2

Reaction score
If anyone is unhappy with their thunderbolt, I would be more than
happy to work out some kind of trade for it involving my DX. :D
Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

mitchb2

Reaction score
This thing is the must over-hyped, under-done pos ever. Mine is going back this weekend. No signal, battery is horrible...and htc knew this when they released it.

If Vz charges me a restocking fee I'll dispute out on my cc.

Huge disappointment.

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
+1 same here! :)

I don't live in a 4G area or work in one and I am getting about 20 hours on mine. They should have at least given the option to turn it off considering 4G is not wide spread. They had to of known searching for service would drain the battery look at how WiFi kills it if it continues to scan for a network. I feel they dropped the ball on an obvious problem. However I bought the phone for the power not 4G could careless about download speed 3g does the job. Just my preference.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

Message delivered via a Bolt of lightning

TRIKOTRET

Reaction score
This thing is the must over-hyped, under-done pos ever. Mine is going back this weekend. No signal, battery is horrible...and htc knew this when they released it.

If Vz charges me a restocking fee I'll dispute out on my cc.

Huge disappointment.

Thats your opinion. there are others who swear by this phone and love it. Maybe it depends on your location how the phone functions

jtastic33

Reaction score
Now we all complained and groped about this phone knowing that the battery life was garbage and we still purchased the phone ppl these days no offense to any one its just frustrating seeing ppl on different sites complaining about the same thing its a problem agreed abstract the fact is we. Knowingly purchased this phone with all its faults

mitchb2

Reaction score
Now we all complained and groped about this phone knowing that the battery life was garbage and we still purchased the phone ppl these days no offense to any one its just frustrating seeing ppl on different sites complaining about the same thing its a problem agreed abstract the fact is we. Knowingly purchased this phone with all its faults

The battery situation is annoying and, yes, all the reviews told us to expect this. But the lack of reception is criminal. And it's wide spread. I started Googling and there is a ton of noise about this. $ for the phone and $ for an unusable data plan is a scam. I'll never buy another htc product.