Message to DX Rom users

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
YOU are the one who is ultimately responsible for your device. It is not the developers fault if a rom renders your device useless. Unlike the original droid the droid X do not have a true custom recovery so if you can not get into recovery then your only hope is to flash an sbf. If a rom is released that will not work with the current sbf that is out then you are taking a SERIOUS risk. There is nor rom out that is worth the heartache if you can not recover your device. There are many ways to modify your device with in the current build. If you decide to flash a rom or a theme where sbf will not work and your device get stuck at the M then you are stuck because with out an sbf or the ability to use recovery your device can not be recovered.

Inkarnit

Reaction score
+1 for moderator responsibility

Thank you for this post. I think a lot of people need to keep this in mind...

MrSinister1

Reaction score
+1 also

people need to THINK BEFORE YOU FLASH!!! ALWAYS MAKE BACKUPS!!! and if you see some of this stuff and you get confused ASK SOMEONE they will help you have a $5 or $600 phone don't get impatient and last this is not the OGdroid the X sometimes doesn't play nice so please read, research and study. The best thing I ever did for myself was when I got my OGdroid I researched for a long time before I ever rooted my phone and I read, read, and when I was sick of reading I READ some more and IMHO this helped me exponentially when it came time to flash my first ROM and always FOLLOW THE DEVS INSTRUCTIONS TO LETTER they write out install instructions for a reason. jus my 2:)

Droid74

Reaction score
but does that mean I have to really delete data and cache.....

YES IT DOES...Thank you moderator!!!

Wildrat

Reaction score
but does that mean I have to really delete data and cache.....

YES IT DOES...Thank you moderator!!!

After the time you have taken to get your phone the way you like it and now you want to flash a ROM to further enhance your phone, and it kills you to think that you have to delete data and cache, believe me if the developer says wipe data and cache you should or you are asking for problems. Yes, it will take awhile to set your phone back up but it is well worth it and now you can make backups of your new ROM so you will have something to restore if needed. A further note is if you are using apps with backup and restore functions use them. These backups can save you time also if restoring a version of the ROM you are using. Do not use these backups with other ROM versions.
I also thank you for stating the obvious. "Mess up your phone and you are the one that messed it up, not a static web page with DIY instructions ."

Raw Dodge

Reaction score
IMO,if its too to much work wiping data,when a developer tells you its a requirement,you have no business flashing roms....its an insult to the developer in a way,after the countless hours they spend building a rom,and give it away for donations,and someone doesnt want to spend 15 minutes setting up there phone..
Personally I like setting the phone up again,Ive gotten good at it,at first it was scarey to me,now its very fast,and i find the phone is much quicker anytime you wipe it and start fresh.....the payback to those who refuse to wipe a phone is usually a sluggish,laggy phone that operates at less than peak performance.

RemyL75

Reaction score
IMO,if its too to much work wiping data,when a developer tells you its a requirement,you have no business flashing roms....its an insult to the developer in a way,after the countless hours they spend building a rom,and give it away for donations,and someone doesnt want to spend 15 minutes setting up there phone..
Personally I like setting the phone up again,Ive gotten good at it,at first it was scarey to me,now its very fast,and i find the phone is much quicker anytime you wipe it and start fresh.....the payback to those who refuse to wipe a phone is usually a sluggish,laggy phone that operates at less than peak performance.

And usually those are the ones that complain about the ROM being laggy and sluggish.

ROM developers spends weeks at a time making these for other people to use. It wouldn't kill you to wipe the damn phone, especially if they know that it is necessary. If the less-than-knowledgeable VZW tech told you to wipe it, you would in a heartbeat, and 90% of the time, it doesn't fix anything. The guys in these forums designed/customized/fixed the ROM to work with the phone, so I am thinking they would know better.

Wildrat

Reaction score
For a person new to flashing ROM's it is a scary thing when your told you need to wipe data/cache. The key thing you all are saying now that your used to it and have been doing it for awhile, it is not as scary or tedious. I don't consider it an insult to the developer. The people new to this and neither do most of us have no clue who the developers are and now your putting your trust in someone you don't know, so yes it can be scary to someone who does not know exactly what they are doing. I know way back in October/November 2009 when I got my Droid it was amazing having a computer in my pocket capable of doing nearly everything I can with my Laptop/Desktop and having a phone to boot. It was scary to me when Bugless Beast Pete said wipe data/cache. I did but it was like a big leap of faith, and it was nearly the same with this new phone the wife surprised me with earlier this week, but now after 3 days I have the ROM flashed I am going to use till CM comes to the Xside, but then I may stay with the ROM I have now. Remember we were all new to these phones at one time. Also remember some of us have things in data/cache more important than a You Tube video of a squirrel water skiing. New people remember to to backup everything in every app that gives you this feature. It will make things much easier when you do future wipes. Also remember it does not hurt to pay for certain important key apps rather than find a mediocre free app that will annoy the heck out of ya.
Again Thanks for stating the obvious. It is our responsibility to educate ourselves so we can make good decisions in our Droid life and our real life.

Desicrator

Reaction score
I haven't seen this post before but I will say it needs to pop up on the site when someone new enters the "advanced" areas. This is why Moto thinks so little of the modding community.