Media Amp?

dolpns13

Reaction score
Does anyone know if there is a media amplifier that will increase the volume of my media? I hardwire my phone via the earphone jack to the dvd AV inputs in my car and it doesnt seem too loud. I have a bose stereo system so its not like I am running this through a crap system. I also have the media volume all the way up.

Oh, also, I get alot of feedback into my speakers when my power cord lighter adapter is hooked into the phone. Could there be a better power cord to use? I know there are usb lighter adapters.

Please help

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
The levels should be good if media volume is up. There are definitely external amps out there but be careful. You want to match line level, not exceed it.

I have a bose stereo system so its not like I am running this through a crap system.
I'd be careful using Bose and "quality" together in a sentence.

Oh, also, I get alot of feedback into my speakers when my power cord lighter adapter is hooked into the phone. Could there be a better power cord to use? I know there are usb lighter adapters.
I don't see how you'd get feedback. I know you mean something else. Could be a ground loop.

Taegost

Reaction score
Does anyone know if there is a media amplifier that will increase the volume of my media? I hardwire my phone via the earphone jack to the dvd AV inputs in my car and it doesnt seem too loud. I have a bose stereo system so its not like I am running this through a crap system. I also have the media volume all the way up.

Please help

If you have multiple inputs for your stereo, I'd check to make sure you have it plugged into the correct one, as most stereos have a line in which is supposed to have a low-voltage input.
Also, Bose handles inputs and outputs different then most other manufacturers, so that may be a factor as well, I'm not sure.
As for the feedback, I'm not sure what you mean by that. What happens exactly?
Also, what do mean by "power cord lighter adaptor"?

OP
dolpns13

dolpns13

Reaction score
The levels should be good if media volume is up. There are definitely external amps out there but be careful. You want to match line level, not exceed it.

I have a bose stereo system so its not like I am running this through a crap system.
I'd be careful using Bose and "quality" together in a sentence.

I don't see how you'd get feedback. I know you mean something else. Could be a ground loop.

Feedback could be the wrong word. when i plug my car charger in I get a high pitched, quiet, almost whirring sound.

whats wrong with Bose?

It just seems to be quieter now than it was a few weeks ago.. Maybe I am going deaf.

OP
dolpns13

dolpns13

Reaction score

Please help

If you have multiple inputs for your stereo, I'd check to make sure you have it plugged into the correct one, as most stereos have a line in which is supposed to have a low-voltage input.
Also, Bose handles inputs and outputs different then most other manufacturers, so that may be a factor as well, I'm not sure.
As for the feedback, I'm not sure what you mean by that. What happens exactly?
Also, what do mean by "power cord lighter adaptor"?

Well, I have it hard wired from my phone to the AV inputs in my factory DVD player in my car - from the earphone jack. It doesnt seem to be as lud as I would like. Could it be due to a cheap cable?

The feedback is more of a whirring or high pitched noise (although it is not loud through the speakers). Remember the move "Signs", it kinda sounds like what the kid hears on his radio when he is standing on the roof of the car. By car power cord lighter I mean the cigarette lighter power cord that you plug into your phone to charge it. Well when I unplugged this, the noise went away, so I do nto think its the AV cables from my earphone jack anymore.

Taegost

Reaction score
Gotcha. I had an issue like that with my first car where it would pick up the engine noise through the power lines into my amp. It was my curse for using a cheap amp. I would think that the phones battery would eliminate that. It may be a combination of the power and audio cable, try running it though the phone speakers and cigarette lighter and see if it happens then.
if it does, it's the power, if not it's the combo of the two.
Also, true audiophiles look down on Bose because it's not a true sound, they use distortion to give a more"pure" sound
My Droid Does Tapatalk...

garrett

Silver Member
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
whats wrong with Bose?

just ask anyone that knows anything about audio components and they will tell you that they would go without audio before they buy Bose.

friends don't let friends buy Bose.

i used to install custom home theater systems and we would go in and see a Bose system and the owner would be like can you incorporate this into the setup. I had to laugh every time as i told them if what we install does not sound eleventy billion times better then that inferior bose setup you have ill personally give you 500 dollars.

i never paid anyone... almost every time they would ask us to remove and throw away the Bose system.

i had no problem testing my guns out on some expensive Bose radios and receivers.

Last edited:
OP
dolpns13

dolpns13

Reaction score
Gotcha. I had an issue like that with my first car where it would pick up the engine noise through the power lines into my amp. It was my curse for using a cheap amp. I would think that the phones battery would eliminate that. It may be a combination of the power and audio cable, try running it though the phone speakers and cigarette lighter and see if it happens then.
Also, true audiophiles look down on Bose because it's not a true sound, they use distortion to give a more"pure" sound

I think I tried this accidentally and the noise was gone.. Ill give it another test though. Its so annoying.. I wonder how well those usb lighetr adaptors work. They have to be better quality than the regular adapters, I think..

OP
dolpns13

dolpns13

Reaction score
whats wrong with Bose?

just ask anyone that knows anything about audio components and they will tell you that they would go without audio before they buy Bose.

friends don't let friends buy Bose.

i used to install custom home theater systems and we would go in and see a Bose system and the owner would be like can you incorporate this into the setup. I had to laugh every time as i told them if what we install does not sound eleventy billion times better then that inferior bose setup you have ill personally give you 500 dollars.

i never paid anyone... almost every time they would ask us to remove and throw away the Bose system.

i had no problem testing my guns out on some expensive Bose radios and receivers.

Haha.. good story...

I never knew this about Bose.. I always thought they were premium - they are really expensive arent they? Not worth the dough?

I have a pathfinder with a central computer control so it would be nearly impossible for me to replace my stereo, but what If I tried to replace the speakers only, would that add any clarity?

garrett

Silver Member
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
there not absolutly horrid but for the money you spend on bose you could get one of the below and be amazed at what you have been missing.

Dennon, Marantz, Yamaha, or even a Onkyo (dont care for them much but there decent)

Taegost

Reaction score

I think I tried this accidentally and the noise was gone.. Ill give it another test though. Its so annoying.. I wonder how well those usb lighetr adaptors work. They have to be better quality than the regular adapters, I think..

If it only does it when both are there, then my guess would be that the power is not properly shielded, you may want to try arranging the wires so they aren't close together.
I'm still trying to figure out what you mean by the power adaptor, since you can only charge the phone using USB, they're all USB adaptors...?
I can tell you that for my setup I use the VZ car charger and a cheap 1/8" to cassette adapter that I got with my first car over 10 years ago and it works fine.

OP
dolpns13

dolpns13

Reaction score

If it only does it when both are there, then my guess would be that the power is not properly shielded, you may want to try arranging the wires so they aren't close together.
I'm still trying to figure out what you mean by the power adaptor, since you can only charge the phone using USB, they're all USB adaptors...?
I can tell you that for my setup I use the VZ car charger and a cheap 1/8" to cassette adapter that I got with my first car over 10 years ago and it works fine.

Yeah, thats what I mean, the car charger... sorry for the confusion... The wires from my earphone jack for the droid Audio, and the car charger really arent close, BUT, I also have a sirius (installed but not in use) car adapter hooked into the cigarette lighter just above where my driod car charger is plugged into. (Pathfinders have two car chargers (cigarette Lighters), one right above the other).

Bear in NM

Reaction score
You could also try one of the low voltage dc-ac inverters to possibly help isolate the feedback. I guess this could induce more, but the flip side is having the inverter and its ability to rapidly charge your phone (compared to the cig adapt.) might make it so you do not need to be hardwired to power for all driving, at least all of the time.

Craig

joggy

Reaction score
Please help

I've had success with Boostaroo portable amplifiers -Boostaroo

sqhhr

Reaction score
If you've got it wired like im thinking you do. Headphone to rca adapter goin into amp. The reason the volume is not what you expect is the phone has very little voltage goin out the headphone jack. I have mine wired this way and I have to really turn the volume up on the radio past what im used to. If your radio has the 3.5mm aux input you could use a male to male cord and the volume should be better then.