Manual updated to Froyo and need to root.

bmwracer_84

Reaction score
Hey guys,

So three weeks ago I manually updated my Droid to froyo. I couldn't wait anymore. Now I want to use the portable hot spot feature via Wireless Tether. It says I need root access. How can I root this Droid from Froyo safely to use this program? Thanks!

P.S. Also Pda net no longer works on my phone. :icon_eek:

chrisofer

Reaction score
I don't think the droid has the hardware capabilities to do wireless hotspot. You can tether it via usb and pay the $20 a month i think it is? Or download one of the apps

Orionalias

Reaction score
Ok I could be grossly wrong on this...but I thought froyo has yet to be rooted. Is that correct other posters? Once I update my phone to froyo don't I still need to wait for a group to root that OS version?

OP
B

bmwracer_84

Reaction score
I don't think the droid has the hardware capabilities to do wireless hotspot. You can tether it via usb and pay the $20 a month i think it is? Or download one of the apps

That might be a possibility. I think at this state I'm starting to outgrow this phone. Has Froyo been released officially? Surely the Droid 2 can?

wojtalsd

Reaction score
I suggest going to the hacks section of this forums. 2.2 has been rooted and there are several high quality ROMS and Kernels out there. Bugless Beast is what I run know. Sapphire 1.0 is probably the simplest and was my first. Truly is built from the 2.2 source.

On WIFI hotspot like apps I use Barnacle WiFi Tethering. Free and in the market. Requires ROOT.

ndoren

Reaction score
The Droid ABSOLUTELY can function as a wireless hotspot. It works beautifully. I have an original Droid 1 running Android 2.2, OTA FRG01B, and rooted.

I have had excellent luck with the app called "Wireless Tether for Root Users" by Muller, Lemons and Buxton. And it's FREE.

Yes, 2.2 for the Droid 1 has been rooted. For quite some time. Rooting for the Droid 2 running 2.2 has just been announced, but it's as yet an awkward process (rooting the Droid 1 is easy).

However...

The new FRG22D patch breaks most easy rooting tools, so beware of that. Actually the official FRG22D patch basically breaks root on any phone that had the official FRG01B 2.2 version installed, and was also rooted.

So, if you want root right away, avoid installing the FRG22D patch or that'll screw the pooch. You can install the official Flash 10.1 release on the unpatched FRG01B version anyway.

I've also continued to use PDA net from 2.01 through Froyo 2.2 FRG01B and it still works fine.

Last edited:

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
The Droid 1, at present and possibly forevermore, can do Ad-Hoc WiFi tethering, but to date nobody has figured out a way to make it into a true "hotspot" in infrastructure mode. You must be rooted in order to use WiFi tethering. The best app is linked to in my signature as the one on the market is the latest stable release, and therefore is out of date compared to the prereleases available on the Google Code server.

For USB tethering, if you're rooted, use the wired tethering app in my signature. It's free, offers far more usability and features than Easy Tether or PDA Net, and doesn't require anything but a driver available for easy download on XP and runs natively on Vista and up. As you can see, it also comes from the Google Code server.

For root, you can use a one-touch rooting app and have the bare essentials, or you can do it the right way to gain full control over your phone. The instructions are here -- http://www.droidforums.net/forum/rescue-squad-guides/74028-root-droid-1-regardless-os-version.html

And for the record, bmwracer_84, putting your phone number in your current phone model location is a bad idea. I also think it's against the forum rules because it's such an invitation to trouble. Please change it. :)

If there are any further questions, I'll be happy to help.