Make droid run more quickly without rooting?

dthank

Reaction score
When I'm in any app, my touchscreen is very quickly responsive. However, on the homescreen and the app menu, the touchscreen is not nearly as responsive as it is when i'm in an app. Is there any way to make my droid run more smoothly on the homescreen?

I'm running the 2.1 official update and I'm using a live wallpaper. I don't want to root.

Any help would be appreciated!

OP
D

dthank

Reaction score
thanks man. anything else I can do?

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
if you have a few widgets running that could slow you down some as well.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Joker

Reaction score
Go to Menu/Settings/Sound & Display/Animation/No Animations

The screens will seem to snap much quicker.

Umm don't mean to sound stupid, but what are the window animations that are turned off with this setting. I switched between show all and no animations and haven't noticed a difference in what I'm seeing, although the screens seem to move quicker. I have not noticed any lost animation.

nerdbox08

Reaction score
ZS

Umm don't mean to sound stupid, but what are the window animations that are turned off with this setting. I switched between show all and no animations and haven't noticed a difference in what I'm seeing, although the screens seem to move quicker. I have not noticed any lost animation.

It's almost like the aero effects in vista and win 7, does that makes sense?

dro

Reaction score

Open the market, or even just click on settings from the home screen. You will notice either a) the windows seem to zoom into view(animations on), or b) the windows instantly transition(animations off). I am rooted, but turning the animations off makes mine even faster. Only noticeable when changing windows.

Side note: if you use mylock, it will perform FLAWLESSLY with animations off.

Joker

Reaction score
It's almost like the aero effects in vista and win 7, does that makes sense?
Open the market, or even just click on settings from the home screen. You will notice either a) the windows seem to zoom into view(animations on), or b) the windows instantly transition(animations off). I am rooted, but turning the animations off makes mine even faster. Only noticeable when changing windows.

Side note: if you use mylock, it will perform FLAWLESSLY with animations off.

Oh I see. Thanks for the enlightenment. Now to just decide if I want to keep animations on or off.

andrewdoane

Reaction score
Strangely, I'm so used to seeing the animations that having them turned off makes the phone seem slower... because I'm not seeing the animations! I'm going to stick with the illusion and keep the animations on.

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
Strangely, I'm so used to seeing the animations that having them turned off makes the phone seem slower... because I'm not seeing the animations! I'm going to stick with the illusion and keep the animations on.

My stopwatch tells me there is virtually no difference in completing screen transitions. If anyone can point to a case where there is, I'd be interested.

nerdbox08

Reaction score
A battery pull or factory reset can sometimes speed up your phone.

I've also noticed that power cycling every couple of days can make a world of difference.