Make a D1 With MIUI Into the Best P.M.P. Ever! :D

frankjaegar

Reaction score
Question, Jamez; would it be possible on my end to modify the update.zip before I install it to remove certain things? Because I have a refurbished Droid X arriving in the mail tomorrow, however I love MIUI. And my iPod just broke. And I just love tinkering with Android and ROMing in general, and there is no better phone to do it on then the OG Droid. So I was thinking of making a modified MIUI install with a more media-centric approach, e.g. removing messaging and phone to free up RAM. It would be like having an iPod touch, only it would run Android, have a physical keyboard (with my magnificent GameGripper) and an 2800MAh extended battery. So roughly better in every way (IMO).
What do you think?

The full story is that my OG Droid and some H2O became to close of friends recently, so the cell radio/proximity sensor don't work so hot anymore. So I bought a family member's upgrade for $20 and got a $100 refurbished Droid X. However, I was so sad to see my OG Droid go, especially since there's no MIUI for the Droid X... but then it dawned on me, "I need a new mp3 player since my iPod Touch 2G died/sucks...iOS gives me hives...my OG Droid's processor and headphone port still works, I have an extended battery and GameGripper for it... OH SH*T I COULD MAKE MYSELF THE BEST PMP EVER!"
So, with the help of y'all and MIUI, that is my objective.

So that's the gist, folks. I'm gettin' a Droid X, and I want to make my D1 with an extended battery and GameGripper into a wonderful PMP/gaming device with MIUI. That means things like phone, messaging, etc. are extraneous and hopefully can (and will be eliminated) to save RAM! What advice can people give me? I'm not sure where to start so anything will be helpful. Thanks guys! Let's turn this thing into the iPod Touch killer.

TL;DR: I'm making an OG Droid with MIUI into a PMP. Advice on best PMP (music, video, etc) programs / how to safely eliminate "phone"-esque functions from the system to speed it up requested!

Last edited:

Urugami

Reaction score
Sounds like what I want to do when I eventually upgrade away from my OG Droid, or acquire another from friends/family. I can't actually give any advice, but I'll grab the couch and follow this thread. Hope it goes somewhere.
Edit: Maybe I can provide something... the best audio players I've tried have been PowerAMP and WinAMP. PowerAMP gets the nod for having the equalizer, but WinAMP is $free. UIs on both aren't bad, and PowerAMP has some theming options.

Last edited:

UNC

Reaction score
Question, Jamez; would it be possible on my end to modify the update.zip before I install it to remove certain things? Because I have a refurbished Droid X arriving in the mail tomorrow, however I love MIUI. And my iPod just broke. And I just love tinkering with Android and ROMing in general, and there is no better phone to do it on then the OG Droid. So I was thinking of making a modified MIUI install with a more media-centric approach, e.g. removing messaging and phone to free up RAM. It would be like having an iPod touch, only it would run Android, have a physical keyboard (with my magnificent GameGripper) and an 2800MAh extended battery. So roughly better in every way (IMO).
What do you think?

The full story is that my OG Droid and some H2O became to close of friends recently, so the cell radio/proximity sensor don't work so hot anymore. So I bought a family member's upgrade for $20 and got a $100 refurbished Droid X. However, I was so sad to see my OG Droid go, especially since there's no MIUI for the Droid X... but then it dawned on me, "I need a new mp3 player since my iPod Touch 2G died/sucks...iOS gives me hives...my OG Droid's processor and headphone port still works, I have an extended battery and GameGripper for it... OH SH*T I COULD MAKE MYSELF THE BEST PMP EVER!"
So, with the help of y'all and MIUI, that is my objective.

So that's the gist, folks. I'm gettin' a Droid X, and I want to make my D1 with an extended battery and GameGripper into a wonderful PMP/gaming device with MIUI. That means things like phone, messaging, etc. are extraneous and hopefully can (and will be eliminated) to save RAM! What advice can people give me? I'm not sure where to start so anything will be helpful. Thanks guys! Let's turn this thing into the iPod Touch killer.

TL;DR: I'm making an OG Droid with MIUI into a PMP. Advice on best PMP (music, video, etc) programs / how to safely eliminate "phone"-esque functions from the system to speed it up requested!

Can't you just flash Miui and use root explorer to remove things like the dialer and SMS? Doesn't seem too hard.

fizeke136

Reaction score
Can't you just flash Miui and use root explorer to remove things like the dialer and SMS? Doesn't seem too hard.
Thats what I did. for example, I prefer Handcent sms over the stock sms app so I just removed it with root explorer. Im pretty sure you can also use Titanium back up to uninstall system apps as well

fox_dye

Reaction score
Crack open the rom with winrar or 7zip whatever you use go to system/app and start removing apps you don't want before you flash it. Or pay for root explorer and go that route. Mines a little easier though and free.

Sent from a galaxy far far away.....

fizeke136

Reaction score
Crack open the rom with winrar or 7zip whatever you use go to system/app and start removing apps you don't want before you flash it. Or pay for root explorer and go that route. Mines a little easier though and free.

Sent from a galaxy far far away.....

yea, i completely forgot to mention 7zip. it is easier...thats usually what i do before i install a rom. i guess i was just only thinking in terms of doing it directly on the phone but this was is a lot easier and faster

KevonnnAPV

Reaction score
What I recommend is to just flash the rom. Once you do that amd all the signing in I recommend you download "Super Manager" from the market. Its free. Afger you download that open it go into its settings and enable root function. Then scroll halfway down thru settings and tick the "Show hidden files". Once you do that go into its file manager and go to /system/app and delete the internal system apps you don't want! Although I recommend when your done with the file manager I'd uninstall it. it runs as a background service and just takes up memory. Hope this helps. I do this whenever I load a rom and it internally has a launcher I don't want. Seems to work great for me!

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

microsnook

Reaction score
Or you should port it over and then we can have a MIUI ROM on the droid2 and dx!
I love the phone app, i think its so much more intuitive. I deeply desire it.