Major Backlight Problem w/ My Droid

brunof399

Reaction score
Hi Everyone. I am having a major problem with my droid. The screen is so dim, that I am barely able to see anything. Actually, in a bright room, it is absolutely not visible. Now, I went through display settings and disabled automatic brightness. I also turned the brightness all the way up and nothing has changed. Still barely visible. Finally, I downloaded a flashlight app that uses the screen and it does not light up at all.

The funny thing is that the keyboard and 4 symbols at the bottom of the screen are all brightly lit. Does anyone have some suggestions? Thanks in advance and Merry Christmas!

JayMonster

Reaction score
Bring it back to Verizon. If the display is as dim as you say, with "auto" shut off and the brightness all the way up then... the backlight is busted.

OP
B

brunof399

Reaction score
Thanks Jay. Unfortunately, I got the phone a few months ago, so it looks like I will have to send the phone to Motorola for warranty service. What a pain in the ass....

JayMonster

Reaction score
Thanks Jay. Unfortunately, I got the phone a few months ago, so it looks like I will have to send the phone to Motorola for warranty service. What a pain in the ass....

And it just started doing this now? Wow... that... :censored:

Well, at least it happened while still under warranty.

Silver Member
Reaction score
there is a one year warranty. vzw should still be able to work with you on it.

OP
B

brunof399

Reaction score
Got the phone on 11/06/2009 so definitely have to go through Motorola. Just finished chatting with Motorola support and they told me to send the phone in. Really sucks that I will be without it for an extended period as I love this freaking phone. oh well.

mark729

Reaction score
They should send a new phone first then you send back bad one. right?
that's what we call "SERVICE", because they gave you a defect device.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
don't see why you couldn't just get it switched out at verizon. would've been much quicker and you would've had a new phone within minutes. They could've gotten authorization from Motorola there too.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
if you purchased the insurance you can do a swap easily.... and VZW does warranty the device for a year don't they? (feel free to correct me if wrong)

2amReply

Reaction score
Since we're talking about swapping the phone...

Say I have to exchange my phone for another because of a unresolvable problem like this. Since I just got the phone last week, can I get a NEW unit at the VZW store? Or will I get a LIKE-NEW unit?

GohanBurner

Reaction score
Since we're talking about swapping the phone...

Say I have to exchange my phone for another because of a unresolvable problem like this. Since I just got the phone last week, can I get a NEW unit at the VZW store? Or will I get a LIKE-NEW unit?

You will get a new unit, but you won't get a "brand-new" unit including packaging ant the like. They will take your battery and SD Card and place it into another brand-new droid shell.

bbtkd

Reaction score
Just to clarify - how you get a replacement phone depends on the circumstances. If the issue that arises is damage or loss, then the insurance (Asurion or other) covers it (as long as you bought it, you have not used it too many times, and don't fit under their exclusions) and you deal with the insurance carrier, not Verizon. In cases like the OP has, which is clearly a warranty issue, you take it to Verizon, not the manufacturer. You probably can deal with the manufacturer, but as the OP noted you will be without a phone a while. There may be some gray areas where Verizon will need to decide what is covered under warranty, what is damage, what may not be a problem, and what may be tampering which is not covered at all.

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Got the phone on 11/06/2009 so definitely have to go through Motorola. Just finished chatting with Motorola support and they told me to send the phone in. Really sucks that I will be without it for an extended period as I love this freaking phone. oh well.
Brunof - your phone is covered under the 1 year manufacturer's warranty unless it was deemed to be physical damage, which would be covered under insurance if you have it. At this point, there's no need to be sending this back to Motorola at all, unless there's a detail you might have forgot to tell us - for example you have physically damaged the phone and don't have insurance.

OP
B

brunof399

Reaction score
A day after I posted my original message, the problem with my phone disappeared. The back light is now functional and everything seems to be good. As far as what I am leaving out, not sure what you are getting at? The phone has no physical damage and I am only telling you what I was told from Motorola Support. I never thought to go through Verizon because I was under impression that the warranty with them is only 30 days. If I can bring this phone to a Verizon store to get swapped, then I will obviously do that. Would hate for this to happen again.