Mail storage use not decreasing

lunchbox05

Reaction score
Looking at my installed apps my mail is showing that it is using 108 mb. I don't have any mail in my inbox and I deleted all my attachments. anyone know how the hell to decrease that 108mb down to something manageable?

I am using a stock Droid Eris with 1.1 installed

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
I suspect the problem is that your email data and cache need to be cleared. Assuming you can do this as one would on a Droid, go to ManageApplications, select the email app you're using and clear the cache. You don't mention whether you're using gmail, but if you are, you'll have to filter to "all" applications and delete cache associated with gmail storage.

ahendric

Reaction score
I agree with Jsh1120,

I had the same issue, and as soon as I cleaned the cache and data and everything refreshed, I was back down to less than 1mb.

FYI this is on a Moto Droid using the gmail app, but it should be the same for you.

Andy

OP
L

lunchbox05

Reaction score
The Mail app does not give you the option of clearing the data, and i cleared the cache on both the Mail app and the GMail app and it made to difference

billnuss

Reaction score
I do

I have the same problem and can't clear data in the Mail application. Tried deleting accounts and it was still 80 mb of "data". Now I can't send or read texts until I delete an application, but I can email and make phone calls just fine.

SnoDrtRider

Reaction score
Open your "Trash" folder... I did mine and had close to 400 e-mails in there that I had deleted but they just go to trash. You need to manually delete each one... there is no "Empty Trash" button.

billnuss

Reaction score
I actually did have 100 emails in the trash of one of my email accounts, but deleting it didn't help. I went back to my applications and it said i had a few kb in cache, and when i deleted that i think the data being used by mail actually increased a little. I'm using an HTC Droid.

billnuss

Reaction score
Thanks - what do I do now? How do I get rid of the stock app or at least the data it's eating up and do you know of any good alternatives?

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
Remove your account from the stock app. That should clear the space. I use k9. Maildroid and Touchdown are others.

billnuss

Reaction score
I deleted both my accounts from the stock app and still it says there are 85 mb of data in it... any idea why? I also tried a soft reset (powered off and back on) after removing the accounts.

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
You've done this?:

Phone settings > applications > manage applications > menu > filter > all > Email > clear data

billnuss

Reaction score
"Clear Data" isn't an option - only clear cache is sometimes. I have an HTC not Motorola if that makes a difference...