Magnets vs. Velcro case latch

BoomerBud

Reaction score
I have heard that “magnet” latch closers for case is not good for the DROID 2 Global; that it is better to go with Velcro. Because the magnet does something to the inner workings of the droid 2.
Is this correct or does it matter which latch magnet or Velcro?

LifeIsABeach

Reaction score
If the D2G works like the OG then magnets are used to put the phone into alarm clock and navigation modes when put into the home dock and car dock. Using a case with a magnet could cause the phone to turn on in the case.

Reaction score
I have used both with my OG droid and if you put your phone in a magnetic latch case with the back to the magnet, it might trigger the dock options to launch, but if you put the face of the Droid out towards the latch, it's fine.

OP
BoomerBud

BoomerBud

Reaction score
PowerPlayGraphix & LifeIsABeach
What kind of Smartphones do you use; and what kind of cases do you use/recommend magnet or Velcro

Thanks for your assistance......

LifeIsABeach

Reaction score
I have a Droid 1, but don't use a case. It is small enough to keep in my front pocket. A velcro case would solve any potential problems. If you prefer a magnetic case do as PowerPlayGraphix says and make sure the back of the Droid is not facing the magent when you put it in the case.

Reaction score
I'm currently carrying a Droid and have it in a leather case with a magnetic clasp. It fits fine and as long as the glass is out, there are no issues with it launching any apps. If I turn it around by accident, I have launched one of the "dock" modes before but I have only done that once. Just look for one that has a soft inner lining to avoid scratching up the phone.

OP
BoomerBud

BoomerBud

Reaction score
Thanks!!

PowerPlayGraphix & LifeIsABeach

Thanks for your input and advice.

I have a Droid 2 Global and am trying out a Velcro case; but I am finding it somewhat bulky and comber-sum to use.

I think I will go with the magnet; do either of you know of a site that is the best to look for a case that you described.

To protect my investment I bought the cover for my droid which makes the over all circumference now is approx. 4 & 3/4" long x 2 & 1/2" wide & 5/8 to 3/4" thick.

It seems getting a case on the net is like buying shoes; you're not sure they are going to fit till you get them.
I have check out the local stores here; and the closet fit was the Velcro with an outside circumference of approx. 5" x 3" x 1+".

Any idea's would be greatly appreciated....

Reaction score
I just got one of the leather ones at Walmart but I didn't use a case on my Droid. You could go by Walmart or Best Buy or any place that has them and just see what will fit over it.

smoluse

Reaction score
I'm currently carrying a Droid and have it in a leather case with a magnetic clasp. It fits fine and as long as the glass is out, there are no issues with it launching any apps. If I turn it around by accident, I have launched one of the "dock" modes before but I have only done that once. Just look for one that has a soft inner lining to avoid scratching up the phone.

I have a droid 2 and when I put the magnetic clasp near the glass it activates the dock mode, even if the phone is locked. Position in the case does not seem to matter with mine!
?

OP
BoomerBud

BoomerBud

Reaction score
Thanks smoluse for your input; this Droid/Android system is all new to me.

Can you tell me what kind of case do you use; possibly velcro? or no case at all.

My questions are "investment" driven; what is the best way to protect my Droid 2 Global.

-Case w/magnet
-Case w/velcro
-No case at all; and if so how would you protect the phone?
-Put Droid in a pocket, (I broke the "old Palm" screen once in my back pocket) how do you protect the large screen in a pocket. And if the pocket is a recommendation; which pocket? Front/Back... maybe shirt pocket?
These maybe simple stupid "newbie" question, but please bear with me.:confused:

Which is the best way to go?? Anyone please......

And, I am new at the "terminology":
What is meant that "the phone will 'Dock' w/magnet case latch"

Lenagainster

Reaction score
Can you tell me what kind of case do you use; possibly velcro? or no case at all.
-Case w/magnet
-Case w/velcro
-No case at all; and if so how would you protect the phone?
-Put Droid in a pocket,
What is meant that "the phone will 'Dock' w/magnet case latch"
I found a black leather case at WalMart made by Case Logic where a strap fits over the top and fastens to a velcro tab. The strap is also used to slide the phone out of the case. Expensive (abt $20) Nice tight fit with a Droid 2. Another case, exactly the same except purple, too tight fit. Had to stretch the leather to make it fit better.
The case has a flat leather belt strap, not the leather covered metal clip, so it will slide in the pocket without adding too much thickness to the phone.
I use a screen protector. Some say it's unnecessary. It doesn't interfere with the touch screen and one less thing to worry about.
Motorola sells a Car Dock which has a magnet embedded in it. When the phone is placed in the Car Dock, it automatically turns on the Car Dock app which allows one to use the phone as a GPS, and does other things like automatically routing incoming calls in the speakerphone mode. If a case has a magnet and it gets near the position on the back of the phone, it will put your phone in the Car Dock mode and turn on GPS, which sucks down your battery.

OP
BoomerBud

BoomerBud

Reaction score
Thanks!! & Fancy widgets pro

Thanks Lenagainster<:yr1:

That was a great explanation; especially about "docking". Now all the chatter about magnet latch cases makes more sense to me.

I will keep my eyes open for that Velcro case you mentioned.

Lenagainster, you seem to have it together about these phones. I would appreciate you looking into the following:

I paid for and install "Fancy widgets pro" from Android Market hoping to make a home screen similar to HTC on my Droid 2 Global; HTC has the weather, date, and time and great graphics. Fancy widgets pro showed a great selection of what I was looking for.....but!!:unsure:

Well I got all the weather, date, etc. on the home page but not the "skin" background.

If you or anyone have any thoughts on this I would greatly appreciate it!!