Magnets

thelion

Reaction score
Does this phone have the same magnet issue as Droid 1? I got my replacement the other day and I kept it in my purse all day long at work (normally it sits on my desk or in my pocket). My purse has a magnet latch right by where the phone sat. Lo and behold, my battery was dead in 5 hours due to the screen at 99%. I think it was on that entire time.

baniels

Reaction score
I never knew this was considered an issue. Just as with the Droid 1, the X has the feature that allows for car dock mode and multimedia dock mode to be activated depending on the polarity of a magnet within a certain proximity of the rear of the device.

I don't know if you can turn this off. You might want to use a magnet-free purse.

kkwan77

Reaction score
Does this phone have the same magnet issue as Droid 1? I got my replacement the other day and I kept it in my purse all day long at work (normally it sits on my desk or in my pocket). My purse has a magnet latch right by where the phone sat. Lo and behold, my battery was dead in 5 hours due to the screen at 99%. I think it was on that entire time.

I'm using the side pouch for the Droid X provided by VZW and it has a magnet on the flap but does not affect the screen like previous ones did for the original Droid.

Humpa

Reaction score
There's an app or widget that disables magnets. Not sure of the name, but I was reading a thread about it last week somewhere.

EDIT: Try Dock Blocker and/or Dock Awake to disable dock mode.

Last edited:

idonls4u

Reaction score
I have purses that have earth friendly magnets in them that don't interfer with credit or debit cards. They are used to hold the cover onto the purse.

I am wondering if those magnets have any affect on my phone? I have found that I can't put my Droid X2 in the pocket next to where the magnets are because it turns the phone on. So I am wondering if they might affect my phone in other ways?

Thank You!

srvctec

Reaction score
Magnets may put your phone in car dock mode or media mode, but I don't think it will hurt anything. If your phone is put into either of these modes by magnets, depending on the settings, the battery may run down fairly quickly because of the screen being on or other settings in these modes such as GPS being automatically enabled.