maderstcok - OTA 2.3.340 update.zip

Status
Not open for further replies.

maderschramm

Reaction score
None are responsible for your phone but you.

After a bit of work I've created an update.zip for you guys that want a fresh install of 2.3.340 without sbfing.

This is the FULL, OTA 2.3.340 - contains radio, kernel, and all other updates, even those EXCLUDED by the 2.3.340 system only sbf.

What that means is that if you have 2.3.15, 2.3.151, or 2.3.320 you're one update.zip away from the OTA 2.3.340
smile.png

This is useful in many ways:

• You want stock .340 but didn't create a nandroid backup
  • Can't OTA (modded phone)
  • Get ready for an OTA
  • Remove Root
  • Add bloat back
  • Re-Odex
  • Your phone is acting weird on the update
  • Something broke
  • Fresh ROM install
  • You don't want to flash 5 update.zips or sbf to update your phone
  • etc.
This will format your system data (helps prevents bootloops - not 100%) and system (in case a rom put some apps in the /system/app) partitions and also changes the boot image to the stock moto M (to fix the Tranquility boot logo - something even an SBF won't fix).

As always, make a backup and I'm not responsible for what happens to your phone.

Download the file here and place it on your sdcard:

Instructions:

1. Using the Droid X Bootstrapper make a backup. (more information here)
  2. Browse (using volume buttons) to "install zip from sdcard" and select it with the camera button.
  3. Select "choose zip from sdcard".
  4. Select "maderstcok340.zip"
  5. Confirm the install.
  6. Be patient, wait for the install to finish.
  7. Reboot the Droid X. DO NOTHING ELSE IN CLOCKWORKMOD!!!!!!!
  8. Activate the phone with VZW (more instructions below).
If you attempt to create a backup or flash a rom post maderstcok installation you're going to have a paperweight. This seems to be because maderstcok removes root and the clockworkmod recovery area, so it doesn't like you playing around in there. Re-root and reinstall the bootstrapper, then create a backup or flash a new rom, DON'T DO IT BEFORE REBOOTING THE DX AFTER ISNTALL.

Formatting Data and Cache is optional; however, if you want a really clean install do so. If you factory reset you'll be forced to activate the phone automatically while if you don't you'll have to follow the quick and dirty activation instructions below - the choice is ultimately yours.

EDIT: coming from ANY non-blur based ROM and doing Maderstcok is guaranteed to bootloop due to mismatch in framework without a data/cache wipe

Quick and dirty instructions for activation:

1. Dial *228
  2. Press 1
  3. Enter last 4 of primary acct holder's SSN
  4. Wait - more in depth instructions in a link further down.

This can take some time, especially on the two system installs and the radio install. Don't battery pull unless you want a brick.

The file won't flash properly if you have a botched download - this seems to be caused by the size of the file. Please check your file size before flashing:

Size: 284.7 MB (298481300 bytes)
MD5: ce7122280eafad4a39ba7fefeb764bf5

My free filehosters sometimes .zip the .zip - it looks like maderstcok340.zip.zip
Just unzip once and check the md5 to make sure it checks out - if not, redownload. Don't try to flash the .zip.zip without unzipping it once!

You'll have to activate your phone again after the install. See this for additional help.

If you encounter any problems during the flashing process (e.g. bootloop) follow standard ROM installation troubleshooting (i.e. battery pull, factory reset, etc.)

A lot of this stuff is from Team Black Hat - I did pull some of my own phone files too - but if you're looking to donate, please hit them up. Without them we'd be up a creek. Tell 'em I sent ya
wink.png

One final note - z4root seems to work flawlessly after flashing this file. Just thought I'd throw that in there...

Enjoy!

EDIT: Currently number 1 google search result for 2.3.340 update.zip - thanks to everyone for your support!

I've had multiple requests for a donate link to me, if you feel obligated, buy me a pack of smokes (or contribute to the cancer fund ;p):

http://tinyurl.com/maderschramm

Last edited:
OP
maderschramm

maderschramm

Reaction score
Changelog

Changelog:

01/02/2011, 03:42p CST - Wrote Post
01/06/2011, 11:37p CST - Concluded Beta, Released to Public
01/07/2011, 11:28a CST - Minor Changes and Fixes
01/07/2011, 05:19p CST - Minor Change - maderstcok 1.1
01/08/2011, 06:04p CST - Quick and Dirty Activation Instructions Added
01/09/2011, 03:43p CST - Added Backup/ROM Install Post maderstcok Warning
01/10/2011, 08:06p CST - Added Donation Link
01/13/2011, 07:29p CST - Bolded Some Text Due to Current Issues
01/30/2011, 05:50p CST - Added Another Mirror and Edited Regarding Bootloops

Last edited:

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
i dont have a lot of class on friday so ill give this a go then and report back

ClumsyNinja21

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Have you confirmed thru your beta testers that everything is bueno? I may be in need of it. Still working on some things.....

sephtin

Reaction score
Edit: I stand corrected! As per Mad, it flashes the 2.3.320 update, then upgrades... which DOES allow updating from a previous version of the bootloader! VERY nice work Mad!

Last edited:

chefb

Reaction score
After a bit of work I've created an update.zip for you guys that want a fresh install of 2.3.340 without sbfing.

This is the FULL, OTA 2.3.340 - contains radio, kernel, and all other updates, even those EXCLUDED by the 2.3.340 system only sbf.

What that means is that if you have 2.3.15, 2.3.151, or 2.3.320 you're one update.zip away from the OTA 2.3.340 :)

• Something broke
  • Fresh ROM install
  • etc.
This will format your data (prevents bootloops and a truly 'clean' install) and system (in case a rom put some apps in the /system/app) partitions and also changes the boot image to the stock moto M (to fix the Tranquility boot logo - something even an SBF won't fix).

As always, make a backup and I'm not responsible for what happens to your phone.

Download the file here and place it on your sdcard. (Still in beta testing, if you can't wait, pm me)

Instructions:

2. Browse (using volume buttons) to "install zip from sdcard" and select it with the camera button.
  4. Select "maderstock340.zip"
  5. Confirm the install.
  7. Reboot the Droid X.
This can take some time, especially on the two system installs and the radio install. Don't battery pull unless you want a brick.

You'll have to activate your phone again after the install. See this for additional help.

A lot of this stuff is from Team Black Hat - I did pull some of my own phone files too - but if you're looking to donate, please hit them up. Without them we'd be up a creek.

Enjoy!

Only thing I'd mention.. is that this might be a great way to get fully back to 2.3.340 IF you can get to clockwork recovery...

BUT, two things this IS NOT good for:
1) If you can't get to clockwork recovery (obviously.. heh).
2) If you've never updated beyond 2.3.15. ...
I assume this was built from the TBH Patch components, including their baseband/kernel/bootloader files. If that assumption is correct, then the warning from their thread should still hold true:
******** DO NOT USE ANY OF THE BELOW FILES IF YOU HAVE NOT UPDATED YOUR PHONE BEYOND 2.3.15, THESE FILES WILL NOT CREATE A FULL UPDATE FOR YOU, YOU WILL BE STUCK IN BOOTLOADER AND NEED TO USE A SBF FILE IF YOU DO ********

Edit: So, it still has some really clear uses... and good work, btw. :)
I just wanted to comment, as it sounded a bit like it was meant to alleviate having to .sbf to 2.3.15 and OTA'ing... or 2.3.320 before getting to 2.3.340, which I do not believe this will do...

Huh????...im still on 2.315...so when the tests are don should I use?

OP
maderschramm

maderschramm

Reaction score
You're incorrect. This builds .320 first, then flashes .340 over it - hence why it should work for 2.3.15ers...in theory anyway. I know it works on .320 because that's what I tested on. The only reason it's still in beta is because I haven't had a tester confirm that it works yet from 2.3.15

What that means is that if you have 2.3.15, 2.3.151, or 2.3.320 you're one update.zip away from the OTA 2.3.340 :)

• Something broke
  • Fresh ROM install
  • etc.
This will format your data (prevents bootloops and a truly 'clean' install) and system (in case a rom put some apps in the /system/app) partitions and also changes the boot image to the stock moto M (to fix the Tranquility boot logo - something even an SBF won't fix).

Download the file here and place it on your sdcard. (Still in beta testing, if you can't wait, pm me)

Instructions:

4. Select "maderstock340.zip"
  5. Confirm the install.
  7. Reboot the Droid X.

A lot of this stuff is from Team Black Hat - I did pull some of my own phone files too - but if you're looking to donate, please hit them up. Without them we'd be up a creek.

Enjoy!

Only thing I'd mention.. is that this might be a great way to get fully back to 2.3.340 IF you can get to clockwork recovery...

BUT, two things this IS NOT good for:
1) If you can't get to clockwork recovery (obviously.. heh).
2) If you've never updated beyond 2.3.15. ...
I assume this was built from the TBH Patch components, including their baseband/kernel/bootloader files. If that assumption is correct, then the warning from their thread should still hold true:
******** DO NOT USE ANY OF THE BELOW FILES IF YOU HAVE NOT UPDATED YOUR PHONE BEYOND 2.3.15, THESE FILES WILL NOT CREATE A FULL UPDATE FOR YOU, YOU WILL BE STUCK IN BOOTLOADER AND NEED TO USE A SBF FILE IF YOU DO ********

Edit: So, it still has some really clear uses... and good work, btw. :)
I just wanted to comment, as it sounded a bit like it was meant to alleviate having to .sbf to 2.3.15 and OTA'ing... or 2.3.320 before getting to 2.3.340, which I do not believe this will do...

Last edited:

Marty8173

Reaction score
I used this update today. I requested a link via PM. Worked perfectly. No issues. Updated everything and first shot. Great work. This is a great all in one update, and its very difficult to screw up the install. Keep up the good work!

chefb

Reaction score
I used this update today. I requested a link via PM. Worked perfectly. No issues. Updated everything and first shot. Great work. This is a great all in one update, and its very difficult to screw up the install. Keep up the good work!

What system version did you come from 2.315 ,and did you have to re activate the phone?

chayesfss

Reaction score
PM'd maderschramm after I decided to go back to stock. I was on apex 1.3.1 and before that rubix.

Rebooted into recovery, executed the zip and bam, back to stock!! Great work!

chefb

Reaction score
PM'd maderschramm after I decided to go back to stock. I was on apex 1.3.1 and before that rubix.

Rebooted into recovery, executed the zip and bam, back to stock!! Great work!

Where you on 2.315 or 2.32???

Myndmayze

Reaction score
Worked great! Everything seemed to go smooth with no problems, and a successful install. Thank you so very much. One question.. shouldn't doing this have erased any app I installed? Or would I have had to reformat my sdcard prior to installing? I'm assuming they were reinstalled through one of the backups I have on there..? Sorry I'm new to the droid world, only got it about a week ago, but I'm loving it so far. Once again thanks for your hard work I appreciate it.

sephtin

Reaction score
Worked great! Everything seemed to go smooth with no problems, and a successful install. Thank you so very much. One question.. shouldn't doing this have erased any app I installed? Or would I have had to reformat my sdcard prior to installing? I'm assuming they were reinstalled through one of the backups I have on there..? Sorry I'm new to the droid world, only got it about a week ago, but I'm loving it so far. Once again thanks for your hard work I appreciate it.

Google Data Sync should reinstall apps that you had previously installed, after you first open the market application. :)

You should be good. :)

Myndmayze

Reaction score
I apologize I may have worded that wrong. All the apps I previously had installed are still there, I thought they'd all be gone after running this. My intention was to make a nandroid backup with the phone stock and bare (aside the app's needed to backup). I didn't do any data wipe or anything like that. I have a few backups on my sdcard via bootstrap, titanium backup, and MyBackup. Was just wondering if my apps are all still there because I didn't do any kind of wipe, or because those backups are on my sdcard.

tatuud

Reaction score
any eta yet on this file. it sounds like it's going to help a ton of people out. the ability to load a single file and be back to total stock/unrooted is awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.