MAC locking up when Droid SD is mounted

JimM

Reaction score
After reading the "How To" thread on copying music from my Mac to the Droid, it seems so straightforward. After trying the process repeatedly with no success, I need some help. The "no name" drive icon appears on the desktop and shows all the folders in the SD card. iPhoto starts automatically (I don't know why). I can add folders for Music and Photos. I can drag maybe one song from iTunes (ripped from a CD) and then everything stops. All the folders in "no name" vanish, I can't eject the "no name" icon. I get a message that "no name is in use and can't be ejected". I quit all the applications and still no luck ejecting the icon. The only way to unmount the SD is to restart the Mac.

After restarting and remounting, everything on the Droid and on the "no name" icon usually look as if I had not moved anything. Sometimes the first song was added to the SD. In that case, it plays as advertised. The folders I created are intact; I just can't add songs to them.

Missing something simple, I hope.

OP
J

JimM

Reaction score
follow-up

I did a little more troubleshooting. Unmounted/remounted Sd card in the Droid, used a different cable, used a different USB port - no luck. If I add a photo everything works, but if I drag a mp3 file to "no name" afterward, the photo disappears and I can't unmount "no name" from the Mac desktop. Somehow any music file seems toxic, but photos are good. I don't have any music other than what I have ripped from my CD's.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I did a little more troubleshooting. Unmounted/remounted Sd card in the Droid, used a different cable, used a different USB port - no luck. If I add a photo everything works, but if I drag a mp3 file to "no name" afterward, the photo disappears and I can't unmount "no name" from the Mac desktop. Somehow any music file seems toxic, but photos are good. I don't have any music other than what I have ripped from my CD's.

Jim, for your music download a program called double twist. This worked excellent for synching music on my Mac. You can also use it for your photos.

OP
J

JimM

Reaction score
Double Twist did the trick! Many thanks!!

brucegdc

Reaction score
If it still fails, you may have a bad SD card

Ran into that problem as well - the USB hanging, even did it with DoubleTwist and Salling MediaSync. Ended up it was a bad SD card, and Verizon replaced it VERY promptly. The symptom was that the transfer would hang after about 100 files or so. (Yes, I carry a lot of music), and then the SD card would be corrupt & need reformatting.

OP
J

JimM

Reaction score
So far (1.5 gb uploaded), so good. I was wondering how a bad SD card would act. Now I know and will keep it in mind. Thanks for the reply.

shane101

Reaction score
songbird is a good program for downloading music into the Droid.